Suicide Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Undisclosed

I’m going to be keeping this discloses but I do need some help finding some senior HIMS Neuropsychiatrists

i already spoke to Dr. Chien but I was told suicidal idealization has a 10 year moratorium period. Let me explain my story a bit

I had a suicide attempt back in 2018 and after that was later on diagnosed with just depression, took SSIs and eventually haven’t taken them for a while now. Any suggestions on what to do? I certainly don’t want to wait 10 years…

You spoke to the doctor who literally wrote the book on SSRIs and pilots.
You got the proper answer. There may be other avenues for you to fly such as light sport (unless you've already been denied a medical) which uses a valid driver's license, or ultralight (part 107) or motorgliders (no medical at all required).
If you want to be a professional pilot you know the story from the source.

Last edited:
You went to the one source in the entire country who is the foremost expert on this subject and dealing with the FAA.

You can keep asking people for a different answer but it will change nothing other than giving you false hope.

FAA has zero tolerance for potential suicides by aircraft. In recent years there have been very public examples of this that has gripped the public, and the politicians, attention.

As a result, there can be no empathy, no understanding or other consideration. It is a hard line in the sand and you will find no one in a position of authority who can, or even will want to, help you.

The only thing you can do is stay healthy for 10 years.

I wish you luck. Please keep in mind that suicide can destroy the people you leave behind.

Dr Chien knows his stuff. If he says you need to wait, you need to wait. Also, you said depression caused this, you were put on meds, now you've stopped. This is pretty typical behavior for people with these issues, they feel better on the meds then think they don't need them anymore. The problem is if you become depressed again these 'ideations' may return. You really need to stick with a psychiatrist and be able to show the FAA you are taking care of yourself, and not just declare yourself well.

Unfortunately, decisions like that stay with you forever. It's a tough pill to swallow especially when you are "fine now". But something made it happen once, and the FAA is obligated to recognize that....and rightfully so IMO. If you really want it, you have to put in the time. 10 years is a long time, but it's not forever.

Sport pilot. At least you get to learn to fly and you can get 90% of the experience needed for private for when you do get a medical.

But...but sure you're well.

i already spoke to Dr. Chien but I was told suicidal idealization has a 10 year moratorium period.

If you've already spoken with Dr. Bruce, you've got your answer. If he doesn't think you can get around the 10 year moratorium period, then it's unlikely anyone else can come up with a realistic differing view.

i already spoke to Dr. Chien but I was told suicidal idealization has a 10 year moratorium period.

So get your Sport Pilot ticket and fly LSAs for the next 10 years. That’s not so bad. LSAs are capable aircraft and you can fly to anywhere in the US or the Bahamas. Lots of people do long XCs in them. You may decide you will never need more.

But, health first! Be sure your doctor is confident you don’t need the meds anymore and that there’s no suicide risk. Do NOT trust your own opinion on the matter.

If it’s a 10yr wait, not sure if you could LSA it, maybe go get your glider private and wait it out on that side, as a rotor wing guy that’s one of the few fixed wing options that seems fun, beats the heck out of driving a 172 around.

Part 121 outfits have LOTS of pilots flying after a year or so, after expressing suicidal tendencies... simply tie it to alcoholism.

Or, if your a manager pilot, you can express suicidal tendencies and simply NOT have the FAA care. Of course this would be a pilot who worked for the guy running the FAA now...

But I digress...

You can also talk to AOPA or another AME and get a second opinion. The FAA's position is that whether you're certifiable after a suicide attempt is an FAA decision, so you should expect deferral at a minimum. But you might find an AME with a more optimistic attitude about eventual issuance. Still a risk since a denial will disqualify you from Sport Pilot.

Last edited:
Sport pilot. At least you get to learn to fly and you can get 90% of the experience needed for private for when you do get a medical.

But...but sure you're well.

Would hours as a sport pilot count towards 1500 minimum if the time comes to try to get a job?

They will if they’re in your logbook.

I love America!! You goto the actual authority, book writer on this subject. Probably paid good money for said advice. Don’t like the answer then goto SGOTI to get a different opinion.

I love America!! You goto the actual authority, book writer on this subject. Probably paid good money for said advice. Don’t like the answer then goto SGOTI to get a different opinion.
Ad hominem is a logical fallacy. And the actual authority is the FAA.

....so you should expect deferral at a minimum. But you might find an AME with a more optimistic attitude about eventual issuance.

What difference does the optimism of the AME make? A deferral is a deferral. And optimism does not reduce the 10 years.

That decade can be spent longing to fly and cursing the FAA, or it can be spent flying an LSA and gaining experience as a pilot.

What difference does the optimism of the AME make? A deferral is a deferral. And optimism does not reduce the 10 years.

That decade can be spent longing to fly and cursing the FAA, or it can be spent flying an LSA and gaining experience as a pilot.
Did you find the 10 years documented somewhere official? Do you know the OP's details?

I’d go light sport and get active in back country flying. Tons of fun to be had if you’re in the west.

No, you’re a licensed Sport Pilot. So what?
Because a Sport Pilot isn’t a “real” pilot…just like a Recreationsl pilot isn’t a “real” pilot…just like a nose dragger pilot isn’t a “real” pilot…just like a jet pilot isn’t a “real” pilot… ;)

Because a Sport Pilot isn’t a “real” pilot…just like a Recreationsl pilot isn’t a “real” pilot…just like a nose dragger pilot isn’t a “real” pilot…just like a jet pilot isn’t a “real” pilot… ;)

So one day our kid says to my husband, “Dad, can we fly in a real airplane sometime?”

That did not go over well.

I assume the kid was put up for adoption shortly afterward....

We’re not sure she’s ours anyway. She’s the only one of the family not an introverted nerd.

It’s good enough for me and for many others. And it’s as close to “official” as you’ll get without submitting the application and likely getting a denial which would remove the SP option.
Close to official is like a little pregnant. The OP specifically asked for options after talking to Bruce. I'm confused why you're so resistant to his getting a second opinion. Is it impossible for Bruce to be wrong?:confused2:

Close to official is like a little pregnant. The OP specifically asked for options after talking to Bruce. I'm confused why you're so resistant to his getting a second opinion. Is it impossible for Bruce to be wrong?:confused2:
No one's infallible, but betting Bruce is wrong about his area of expertise is not a safe bet.

Another vote for getting a Sport Pilot certificate and start flying an LSA using a valid state driver license in lieu of a medical certificate. LSAs are real airplanes and tons of fun to fly.

N601KE_Over_Sedona_1k.jpg

The OP specifically asked for options after talking to Bruce.

No, the OP specifically asked:

Any suggestions on what to do? I certainly don’t want to wait 10 years…

He has been given the suggestion of flying as a Sport Pilot as an alternative to waiting 10 years to become a pilot. This is an excellent idea, but getting an “official” answer from the FAA will kill it.

No, Bruce isn’t infallible. But he’s more realist than pessimist. An AME who’s an optimist might submit the application and very likely get a denial for the OP and then he won’t even be able to go Sport.

Denial or deferral is MANDATORY for a suicide attempt per the Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners. OP said attempt, not ideation. An attempt is an overt act. I'm not an AME so I can't document the 10 year look back on that. I don't think it's published, but I imagine it's comparable to the 10 year lookback for your driver's records.

Any other AME that OP consults will tell him it will need to be deferred at best. If the AME optimistically says let's defer! - then OP has an extremely high chance of losing the light sport option maybe forever, there's no guarantee that after however many years he will be issued.

OP can get a second opinion if he wants to take a gamble on it really only being 5 years or 2 years, but there is a high chance he'll lose that gamble and then be locked out of light sport, possibly for good, if he lets that guy talk him into submitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back