Want to swap ELT to 406 for Mexico travel

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
Living in San Diego and having a pace in Mexico we want to start flying south of the border. I know I need a 406ELT and I think now is the time to make the swap. My current ELT is due for its battery during the Annual next month and Im thinking about pulling the trigger and just swapping to the 406.

Here is a picture of my current ELT. Is there any 406 that basically just swaps in where this one was without too much hassle?

Attachments

• ELT.jpg
    ELT.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 24
Is there any 406 that basically just swaps in where this one was without too much hassle?
FYI: Can't read the brand but 406 ELTs also have an upgraded mounting requirement which requires a deflection test. If your existing ELT is not mounted solidly on a structural airframe member you may be better served to look into all options other than just one that maybe a plug and play with your current ELT.

The mount is probably the least of your problems. The 406 GPS needs position. Unless you have a GPS installed that you can conveniently get to, you'll need a 406 ELT that includes GPS (those are available).

Nearly all of them come with a new bracket which probably can easily be installed where your existing Cessnoid bracket is.

Yours also looks to be of the age that it doesn't have a remote. Such is required for new installations.

The ArTex ELT345 has several options. But you won’t see a plug and play ELT. The 121.5 option would be my choice because of how many people listen to it in the US. After all, where else can I hear Let’s Go Brando or Guuuuuaaaaarrrrrrdddd! on a daily basis? A week or so ago I called in an elt on 121.5 and on my way back they said they found it at an airport. Said it was a hard landing and the operator didn’t know it was going off.

The mount is probably the least of your problems.
FYI: a 406 ELT mount cannot deflect more than .1" when a 100lb force is applied in the most flexible direction. 90% of existing ELT mounting locations fail this test which requires relocating the new 406 ELT in a different position. It's usually the #1 issue in upgrading to a 406.
The 406 GPS needs position. Unless you have a GPS installed that you can conveniently get to, you'll need a 406 ELT that includes GPS
Not quite. Installing a 406 ELT does not require a GPS interface. Without a GPS interface the location tolerance is around 1-3 NMs. With GPS interface its within 100 yds but that is strictly a personal preference whether you want GPS interface or not.

I do have a Garmin GNC355 installed so I could probably pull from that.

I'll add this, I've flown to Mexico twice in the last 40 days, it wasn't even mentioned.

What wasnt mentioned? The 406 ELT?

The ELT and all the FCC licensing. I offered to show it to them on my first trip and they said "Don't need to see that"

$2,000 I spent to get it all done.....

Back