Monoclonal Antibody Infusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Principal

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Principal
Anyone have any insight into the implications on a medical for getting one of these infusions? I know they have an EUA, but does this complicate things for an airmen holding a medical?

Certainly can't fly while taking them (of course, ought not to be flying in the throws of COVID anyway).

Once fully recovered and provided you didn't end up in intensive care, this should be office issuable on renewal.

Anyone have any insight into the implications on a medical for getting one of these infusions? I know they have an EUA, but does this complicate things for an airmen holding a medical?

Am in the medical field ... the infusions are available in outpatient setttings now. Must be less than 10 days since onset of Covid and no major sickness/issues going in ...

I think AME only wants to know you're recovered at time of renewal. Go basic med ...

It’s safe. It’s easy. Does really turn around some ppl with COVID and bad risk factors. I have ordered for 100’s. Key is early use.

Worry about flying later. Worry about getting better now.

Some people fly professionally.

Personally, I’d be more concerned with the possible punishment from the FAA, than I would damage from this virus, based on this history of both the FAA and this virus.

Asking what the FAA, never mind a off the reservation AME, reaction would be to taking this proven treatment is a very valid question.

A
I think AME only wants to know you're recovered at time of renewal. Go basic med ...
Not quite true. There's an FAA COVID protocol to follow. While it doesn't mention monoclonal treatment, it is quite clear that ICU admissions are mandatory deferrals. Others can be issued in the office with various amounts of correspondence to Joklahoma City based on what the patient history is.

Yes, it's about recovery. If you were very sick, you'll need to get examined in more detail.

But monoclonal antibodies have been around for 25 years, they are not new to the FAA. The mentions of them I can find from the FAA are: 1) you cannot use them for asthma. I suspect that's because if you need antibodies for this, they want to know how bad the asthma is. 2) they are permitted for treatment of certain types of prostate cancer. This is consistent with other things I've seen where the FAA is only concerned with treatment because of a disease the treatment might imply.

Knowing that, I suspect the FAA is not concerned with monoclonal treatment. If you get the treatment for covid and it keeps you from getting seriously sick, then it's becomes a non event. You caught covid, got treated, and recovered. Monoclonal antibodies are only radical if you assign politics to it.

Yes, it's about recovery. If you were very sick, you'll need to get examined in more detail.

But monoclonal antibodies have been around for 25 years, they are not new to the FAA. The mentions of them I can find from the FAA are: 1) you cannot use them for asthma. I suspect that's because if you need antibodies for this, they want to know how bad the asthma is. 2) they are permitted for treatment of certain types of prostate cancer. This is consistent with other things I've seen where the FAA is only concerned with treatment because of a disease the treatment might imply.

Knowing that, I suspect the FAA is not concerned with monoclonal treatment. If you get the treatment for covid and it keeps you from getting seriously sick, then it's becomes a non event. You caught covid, got treated, and recovered. Monoclonal antibodies are only radical if you assign politics to it.

Most people don’t get that sick, and there was just a thread for a guy who got deferred over a tattoo, so, I would be asking the same questions if I were him.

I’d email your AME and ask if he would defer you, also email the FAA, though the FAA probably won’t give you a straight answer.

Most people don’t get that sick, and there was just a thread for a guy who got deferred over a tattoo, so, I would be asking the same questions if I were him.

Your odds of death from COVID (1 in about 300 in the US, so far) are a lot higher than getting deferred to OKC for a tattoo.

I have a close coworker and a friend who both ended up in the ICU for days with COVID, and still have long COVID symptoms many months later. Both got it before vaccines were available. Another ~50 yr old friend is dead from COVID about a month ago. Unvaccinated.

Your odds of death from COVID (1 in about 300 in the US, so far) are a lot higher than getting deferred to OKC for a tattoo.

I have a close coworker and a friend who both ended up in the ICU for days with COVID, and still have long COVID symptoms many months later. Both got it before vaccines were available. Another ~50 yr old friend is dead from COVID about a month ago. Unvaccinated.

Tragic, and so avoidable.

Of the three people I personally knew who have been claimed by COVID, one was already infected and in ICU before vaccines were available, and the other two “didn’t trust” the vaccine.

Tragic and possibly avoidable, but not everyone's risk is the same. Far from it. So using the average is misleading.

I’d email your AME and ask if he would defer you, also email the FAA, though the FAA probably won’t give you a straight answer.
(Insert female computer voice) “Lock sequence initiated”

Early in the pandemic I asked my doctor if this disease was that concerning or not. He said, “Of my doctor friends and my patients, all those who know someone personally who has died or been hospitalized with serious illness believe it is a horrible plague, and all those who know no one personally who died or was hospitalized believe it is a big nothing burger. None of them are looking at it objectively.”

Yup.....I know of about half dozen who died during the pandemic. None of those died with or from COVID. And then there are the dozens who got it and didn't need a hospital. My daughter is a RN at the local hospital....and we know of no one who needed her services. We all got it (all six of us)....and each of us commented that we've had worse before. Meh....we are counting our blessings.
Early in the pandemic I asked my doctor if this disease was that concerning or not. He said, “Of my doctor friends and my patients, all those who know someone personally who has died or been hospitalized with serious illness believe it is a horrible plague, and all those who know no one personally who died or was hospitalized believe it is a big nothing burger. None of them are looking at it objectively.”

Yup.....I know of about half dozen who died during the pandemic. None of those died with or from COVID. And then there are the dozens who got it and didn't need a hospital. My daughter is a RN at the local hospital....and we know of no one who needed her services. We all got it (all six of us)....and each of us commented that we've had worse before. Meh....we are counting our blessings.

Yup, when I hear the “I know 10 people who died from covid” I’m like

C4DADB55-2B85-44E2-A833-C79C86BFFCFA.png

with the half a percentage death rate that would
mean you have A LOT, like many digits, worth of friends, at least if we are talking about death FROM covid.

As a professional pilot who doesn’t have 4.5 other lethal comorbidities, frivolous FAA action is a much larger threat to me, based on the numbers and what I see in my little part of the world.

98.7 % of docs do agree with me....... ;)

btw.... that's the current survival rate for the 3rd cause of death in the US. Another point to ponder.....why have the death rates not changed or improved since all jabbing?
Yup, when I hear the “I know 10 people who died from covid” I’m like

View attachment 103013
with the half a percentage death rate that would
mean you have A LOT, like many digits, worth of friends, at least if we are talking about death FROM covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back