Know anyone with a Luscombe?

SethV

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
SethV
We are considering buying a low n slow tailwheel. Interested in a Luscombe. Challenge is that I have never been up close or sat in one.

Does anyone know an owner of a model 8 in SE Michigan that might be willing to let us drop by for a look?

Does anyone know an owner of a model 8 in SE Michigan that might be willing to let us drop by for a look?
You can take a ride out to Lenawee County / Adrian (ADG) and fly the 8F SkyWalker has on rental for the full experience.
I live in SE-ish MI but don't have a Luscombe anymore. Be more than happy to help if you need any assistance.

@Huckster79, know any Luscombe folks?

we do have one on the field at 6d6, it’s a beauty too. let me see if I can get ahold of the guy.

Now I could gladly show you folks a very similar looking vintage taildragger to the Luscombe… ;) if you aren’t 100% locked in on the Luscombe.
I own a c140.

but let me see if I have the Luscombe guy contact at our field

Thanks all!

Not 100% locked on a Luscome. Hunting any fun, solid, clean and affordable taildragger. I do prefer an electrical system and electric start. Beyond that I am open to anything (and that's part of the challenge narrowing it down). Ideally in the 20-40k range.

Thanks!

IMG_20191005_173643.jpg
You can take a ride out to Lenawee County / Adrian (ADG) and fly the 8F SkyWalker has on rental for the full experience.
I live in SE-ish MI but don't have a Luscombe anymore. Be more than happy to help if you need any assistance.

I would second the recommendation to check this one out, just be aware that if you fly it your expectations of what a 'normal' Luscombe's performance will be might be a bit skewed - this one is a bit of a hotrod with IIRC an O-320 and flaps added.

Edit: no affiliation other than taking some tailwheel lessons in this airplane before scaring myself while getting my size 14 shoes stuck on the toe brakes while landing on pavement... (I need to get back into this airplane with some racing shoes on next time)

View attachment 102977

I would second the recommendation to check this one out, just be aware that if you fly it your expectations of what a 'normal' Luscombe's performance will be might be a bit skewed - this one is a bit of a hotrod with IIRC an O-320 and flaps added.

Edit: no affiliation other than taking some tailwheel lessons in this airplane before scaring myself while getting my size 14 shoes stuck on the toe brakes while landing on pavement... (I need to get back into this airplane with some racing shoes on next time)

Do you remember what the useful load is on that plane?

Thanks all!

Not 100% locked on a Luscome. Hunting any fun, solid, clean and affordable taildragger. I do prefer an electrical system and electric start. Beyond that I am open to anything (and that's part of the challenge narrowing it down). Ideally in the 20-40k range.

Thanks!

what airport are you near? I’d gladly try to show ya a Cessna 140, cousins really to the Luscombe just slightly superior in every way (jk- I’m kinda smitten and biased). Certainly fits your price range and basic description of desire.

I’m out if 6d6 but the 140 is in need of a good flight, been busier than normal lately and she needs a good flight.

Do you remember what the useful load is on that plane?
Unfortunately, I do not. I would guess that a quick call to Jo at Skywalker (i.e. the owner) would get you that info though.

this one is a bit of a hotrod with IIRC an O-320 and flaps added.
That's an 8F which was the 16th airplane built on the production line in Fort Collins, CO, 1959. There were about two dozen more built before production ended for good. Only 3 8F's built in Fort Collins were built without flaps (they were special production) and this was one of those 3. Interesting to see when/why flaps were added.

Compared to other tail draggers, the Luscombe requires more rudder dancing than the others ...

Last edited:
Back