Flight Review - what date?

WDD

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
I’m getting twisted here. If I got my PPL in January 2020 do I need a 2 year flight review by Jan 31 2022, Dec 31 2021, or 2 years to the date of my PPL?

What time on Jan 31? I kid - but seriously, thanks

I’m getting twisted here. If I got my PPL in January 2020 do I need a 2 year flight review by Jan 31 2022, Dec 31 2021, or 2 years to the date of my PPL?

To be completely correct, in a minor but important detail, you don't NEED a flight review by Jan 31 or Dec 31 or any other date. You only need to have HAD a flight review in the previous 24 calendar months prior to a proposed flight.

This seems like a pedantic point, but it's not. When I lived and taught in Ohio, there were several people I knew who basically didn't fly during the winter. If their last flight review date was like yours, they may not have bothered to get one by the end of January, instead just waiting until March or so, when they planned to start flying again.

So, it's a "look back" requirement. If you plan on flying on Feb 1, yes you would have had to have had a flight review by Jan 31. But if you don't plan to fly until Feb 10, you don't need one until Feb 9th (or, really, Feb 10th before your flight). Etc. It's the same idea with annual inspections and medical certificates and passenger-carrying currency.

Yes, as clip4 points out, forgetting when you need a flight review is proof you no longer are a safe pilot (sarcasm intended).
Sarcasm noted - and go Brandon

I’m aware I need a flight review. I was asking a question on what the FAA thinks is 24 months.

To suggest I’m an unsafe pilot for that question is absurd and arrogant.

yes, but then you must ensure that the CFI giving the review has agreed to be, and is qualified to be, PIC. as you would no longer be legal to act as PIC.
True. But it's not like CFIs are not used to acting as PIC. Hopefully we know the rules that apply to us (yeah, I know).

I’m aware I need a flight review. I was asking a question on what the FAA thinks is 24 months.
The FAA's "thinking" about the term "calendar month" has probably been settled for at least 360 calendar months.

The FAA understands it but I don’t think Congress does by the way they wrote BasicMed. Who in their right mind would think using both months and calendar months in the same regulation was a good idea?

If he’s qualified but not agreeable, I’d have serious qualms about using him.

Concerned about insurance and or liability?

For the very few ferry flights I have done, I was told by one of my CFIs to make sure I’m always NAMED INSURED, as flying under the open pilot thing the insurance company can still come after you.

I would consider flying in a straight line less risk than going up with some random person and doing maneuvers

Sarcasm noted - and go Brandon

To suggest I’m an unsafe pilot for that question is absurd and arrogant.

You came to a public forum to ask a question that is one of the most used by the FAA on the written knowledge test and a question you certainly got on the practical test. Time for a review for you.

It would be the last day of January 2022. 24 calendar months is when you add 24 months not including the month of your previous BFR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the very few ferry flights I have done, I was told by one of my CFIs to make sure I’m always NAMED INSURED, as flying under the open pilot thing the insurance company can still come after you.

I would consider flying in a straight line less risk than going up with some random person and doing maneuvers

That is the absolutely true. The OPW only means the OWNER has coverage if someone meeting the OPW qualifications is flying. The pilot is still subject to subrogation. Getting added as a named pilot or additional insured is usually not a big deal.

You came to a public forum to ask a question that is one of the most used by the FAA on the written knowledge test and a question you certainly got on the practical test. Time for a review for you.
There is nothing useful in your pontification on how I'm an unsafe pilot because you think this question is beneath you. That was over the top and unwarranted.

Quality of instructor.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn’t see any assumptions about it not being a flight school airplane. But with that, even if you’re named insured, the insurance company can come after you. You need waiver of subrogation.

Last edited:
There is nothing useful in your pontification on how I'm an unsafe pilot because you think this question is beneath you. That was over the top and unwarranted.
You know, I almost always disagree with clip, but on this one I agree. I can’t really think of a more basic question on the PPL test that’s practically applicable to everyone flying. I struggle with the “reporting DUI” and medical requirements for people not in my age group because they aren’t applicable to me (there’s pretty much no way I could get a dui without fraud occurring), so I don’t waste memory remembering them. But this one is one you should consider at least quickly, pretty much every flight.

Quality of instructor.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn’t see any assumptions about it not being a flight school airplane. But with that, even if you’re named insured, the insurance company can come after you. You need waiver of subrogation.

If it’s as a flight school CFI in a flight school plane, I was more addressing freelance

If it’s as a flight school CFI in a flight school plane, I was more addressing freelance
Either way, he’s most likely logging PIC, he’s directing the pilot, and probably has the higher ratings of the two. Whether he agrees to “be” PIC or not probably doesn’t make a hill of beans difference to the FAA or anybody looking to sue, including the insurance companies.

Either way, he’s most likely logging PIC, he’s directing the pilot, and probably has the higher ratings of the two. Whether he agrees to “be” PIC or not probably doesn’t make a hill of beans difference to the FAA or anybody looking to sue, including the insurance companies.

Don’t the sue happy types normally target the bigger pockets of the flight school?

I don’t think the question was beneath me at all. I answer this question all the time for my student pilots.

When you didn’t remember what a month was for your flight review, you also didn’t know when the aircraft’s annual and transponder inspections expire or when your medical expires. That’s how things in aviation work, one small deficiency affects a number of other things.

Yes, you need a flight review. The reason the FAA requires Flight Review is because pilots are poor evaluators of their need for recurrent training.

Last edited:
I got my PPL in January 2020 do I need a 2 year flight review by Jan 31 2022

Yes, you are correct. If you find a CFI that wants to be PIC you can get it the next month (February) on the 1st and keep skipping / doing that every 2 years. I've known a few pilots that were doing that to save money, save one ride in a most people's life time? Maybe?

Quality of instructor.

Think this is where it switched from freelance to a school, or maybe I misread

You know, I almost always disagree with clip, but on this one I agree. I can’t really think of a more basic question on the PPL test that’s practically applicable to everyone flying. I struggle with the “reporting DUI” and medical requirements for people not in my age group because they aren’t applicable to me (there’s pretty much no way I could get a dui without fraud occurring), so I don’t waste memory remembering them. But this one is one you should consider at least quickly, pretty much every flight.

Just to be clear - I didn't forget that a 24 month flight review was needed. I was double checking on what date I would be "out of compliance". So you think I'm an unsafe pilot because I asked that question? OK - to each there own. I think its absurd to comment on the quality of flying, likelihood of something bad happening, not based on any incidences, not based on all the instrument training I've been doing, not based on the hours I've flown - but based on asking essentially if it was the day or end of month?

You think that is a predictor of safe flying? So I would be a safer pilot today if I hadn't asked that question but also hadn't flown any hours in 2 years ago?

No hate given, but we part company on this. Peace
I don’t think the question was beneath me at all. I answer this question all the time for my student pilots.

When you didn’t remember what a month was for your flight review, you also didn’t know when the aircraft’s annual and transponder inspections expire or when your medical expires. That’s how things in aviation work, one small deficiency affects a number of other things.

Yes, you need a flight review. The reason the FAA requires Flight Review is because pilots are poor evaluators of their need for recurrent training.

You have a wrong conclusion - yes, I do know when the annual, IFR certifications, medical, etc expires. As a matter of fact, I just reviewed the log books, medical, etc. to confirm to prep for instrument check ride. I get it - some people are deep into the FAR AIM that they start to replace regulations for reality - the more regulations I've memorized, the less I have to concern my self with actually knowing how to fly well.

I keep coming back to your opinion that I'm an unsafe pilot because of my question? Absurd. Peace

Just to be clear - I didn't forget that a 24 month flight review was needed. I was double checking on what date I would be "out of compliance". So you think I'm an unsafe pilot because I asked that question? OK - to each there own. I think its absurd to comment on the quality of flying, likelihood of something bad happening, not based on any incidences, not based on all the instrument training I've been doing, not based on the hours I've flown - but based on asking essentially if it was the day or end of month?

You think that is a predictor of safe flying? So I would be a safer pilot today if I hadn't asked that question but also hadn't flown any hours in 2 years ago?

No hate given, but we part company on this. Peace

You have a wrong conclusion - yes, I do know when the annual, IFR certifications, medical, etc expires. As a matter of fact, I just reviewed the log books, medical, etc. to confirm to prep for instrument check ride. I get it - some people are deep into the FAR AIM that they start to replace regulations for reality - the more regulations I've memorized, the less I have to concern my self with actually knowing how to fly well.

I keep coming back to your opinion that I'm an unsafe pilot because of my question? Absurd. Peace
You won't find the words safe or safety anywhere in my post. You argued nicely against a straw man.

You won't find the words safe or safety anywhere in my post. You argued nicely against a straw man.

Yes, as clip4 points out, forgetting when you need a flight review is proof you no longer are a safe pilot (sarcasm intended).

I thought you were throwing yourself in with this gem of a post. If you're not, then I can see better where you're coming from - and yes, you are correct - you didn't write / mention "safe". But still didn't expect this reaction from some about double checking the exact date to make sure I was still compliant. If I was 2 months late, OK - that would be bad. But double checking to make sure I was? I'm the guy who enters log books on paper AND excel AND PDF back ups. Have a google calendar loaded to remind to take Basic Med course 2 years after my exam, etc.

Like I said, we disagree - moving on - Peace.

I thought you were throwing yourself in with this gem of a post. If you're not, then I can see better where you're coming from - and yes, you are correct - you didn't write / mention "safe". But still didn't expect this reaction from some about double checking the exact date to make sure I was still compliant. If I was 2 months late, OK - that would be bad. But double checking to make sure I was? I'm the guy who enters log books on paper AND excel AND PDF back ups. Have a google calendar loaded to remind to take Basic Med course 2 years after my exam, etc.

Like I said, we disagree - moving on - Peace.

Umm ... https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-...1/subpart-A/section-61.23#p-61.23(c)(3)(i)(C)

Back