German Food Restaurant at East Coast Airport

Justin M

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JM
Hi.

My darling loves Sauerbraten. She said if I can find an airport with a German restaurant, we can fly there for a meal.

Does anyone know of a restaurant on the East Coast that serves German food?

I heard that Eckhards at W75 closed.

I use fly2lunch.com ; but it doesn't always indicate the type of food served.

Justin

Horst Gasthaus is less than a mile from KCRE (N. Myrtle). of course after the meal you'll just HAVE to burn some calories walking on the beach.........

https://schmankerlstube.com in Hagerstown MD - would be a 10 minute uber/cab from the airport but the restaurant is excellent .
I'll 2nd this at my home airport. It's an easy trip and Rider Jet also has a courtesy car that you can likely use.

If you want to double up on the german fair, you can also try
https://www.bavarianinnwv.com/

A little further away 35 min but it's been good in the past.

Hi.

My darling loves Sauerbraten. She said if I can find an airport with a German restaurant, we can fly there for a meal.

Does anyone know of a restaurant on the East Coast that serves German food?

I heard that Eckhards at W75 closed.

I use fly2lunch.com ; but it doesn't always indicate the type of food served.

Justin

Eckhard’s did indeed close up. The original owner of Eckhard’s started the Bavarian Chef in Madison VA (about 15 miles north of Charlottesville airport by crew car, CHO) nearly 50 years ago. It’s been passed through family since, but is still a very good German restaurant. There is also an offshoot of the Bavarian Chef in downtown Fredericksburg that is now known as the Alpine Chef. It’s just a short 2.4 mile Uber ride from Shannon Airport (EZF), and co-located at the Amtrak/VRE commuter train station if an alternate form of transportation is deemed necessary.

Fly to Helen, GA for Oktoberfest and get some redneck German cuisine. My wife is German and while we like to go to the festhalle and drink and chicken dance...the rest of the fun is all....touristy.

Rosenhof German Restaurant...Hinesville, Ga. They used to, might still have Comanche clinics at KLHW and we would go there. Not too far from the airport. May be able to get a crew car. Not a thriving metropolis but close enough to Savannah to make a trip of it.

OP hasn't been back...........was ist das Update?

Horst Gasthaus in North Myrtle. It's a block down from the road into the airport.

Now...how many of these don't have hotels nearby. It's not right to have German food and no beer.

Horst Gasthaus is less than a mile from KCRE (N. Myrtle). of course after the meal you'll just HAVE to burn some calories walking on the beach.........
I looked at the pictures on their website and was drooling. Love me some good German food and theirs looks outstanding. Exterior has a very authentic Bavarian appearance. :cheers:

Also had a look at Horst Gasthaus, does look amazing...will try and visit next year :)

I looked at the pictures on their website and was drooling. Love me some good German food and theirs looks outstanding. Exterior has a very authentic Bavarian appearance. :cheers:
Been there many, many times. It’s extraordinary.

If that's the place I remember, the food was good, but if I recall, it had a real bad "smokers ashtray" smell to it. (former smoker so it bothers me)

It's not right to have German food and no beer.

That was my take on it. We hit the Bavarian Chef in Marshall VA (used to be one in Fredericksburg as well) when we had to drive between CJR and NC26.

I own Brauhaus Schmitz in Philly, fly to my home airport N14 and I’ll meet you with some Sauerbraten!
I think I’ve eaten there many years ago. I lived in germantown for awhile. Don’t remember if I liked it, but there’s not many places in Philly I haven’t liked, and I remember them, so I must have liked it. Lol

If Florida is in your range, Titusville has (or at least used to) an authentic German restaurant called the Black Forrest. I used to eat lunch there with a fellow named Guenter Wendt.

I own Brauhaus Schmitz in Philly, fly to my home airport N14 and I’ll meet you with some Sauerbraten!

Wow! That's amazing. I'll be watching for an opportunity once the holidays are over.

If Florida is in your range, Titusville has (or at least used to) an authentic German restaurant called the Black Forrest. I used to eat lunch there with a fellow named Guenter Wendt.

Florida is pretty far ... but my Darling was talking about visiting our nephew in Tampa ... maybe we can take the little plane.

The Mountain Brauhaus in Gardiner, NY is very authentic and quite popular in the busy tourist season - get a reservation on nice spring, summer, or fall weekends. Close to N89 and N45.

The Mountain Brauhaus in Gardiner, NY is very authentic and quite popular in the busy tourist season - get a reservation on nice spring, summer, or fall weekends. Close to N89 and N45.

Gunk Haus is also in that area and is fantastic. N45, N89, and KPOU are reasonably close to it.

These are all great suggestions. Thanks everyone and keep them coming!

Haha! So every place I looked at today are not open for lunch tomorrow (President's day). I guess after a long weekend, it's time to rest on Monday (and many are also closed Tuesday).

I don't begrudge them at all; owning/running a restaurant is hard work.

Back