PIREP: Flying Eyes Prescription glasses

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Folks might remember a recent thread from me about how to get new glassses with progressive lenses done right.

Last week was my eye exam and took in photos of the instrument panel with measurements to different things written on the photo.

I also lucked out that one of the new to me optometrists (Bridgeport Eye Center, Bridgeport, TX) is also a pilot (she and husband own a Malibu).

End result is new prescription glasses, Flying Eyes Luzon frame, and magnetic “snap on” grey gradient sun lenses.

Today was first flight with them. And they worked great. The different focal areas are right where they should be, and the dot frames/stems are super comfortable.

Things to get used to are the solid edges in my peripheral view (my other glasses are rimless), and the weight on my nose when the snap ons are attached.

I am a happy pilot with them.

FAF84930-3664-4DD7-BC52-EA85C43A88AD.jpeg

Last edited:
Googling finds this website: https://flyingeyesoptics.com/

I'm struggling to understand what "progressive lenses done right" means. Maybe I missed the original post documenting the issue. I've been happy with my progressive lenses, including the very lightweight magnetic snap-on shades. I have a dark, polarized pair of shades for everyday use, and a slightly lighter, non-polarized set in my flight bag for use when flying (the polarization obscures some of my LED displays in the plane). The shades weigh almost nothing, so no worry about "weight on the nose".

The "Chemistrie" shades are manufactured to match whatever frames/lenses you have, so you're not locked into a particular frame/shades combo. (I imagine there could be some limitations, but at least the frames I've selected in recent years have worked very well with this solution.)

upload_2021-12-17_7-13-31.png

I stared at this for awhile, then gave up and have to ask. What does this mean?
That I once again lost the battle with the iPhone autocorrect.

I meant the frames/stems

Googling finds this website: https://flyingeyesoptics.com/

I'm struggling to understand what "progressive lenses done right" means. Maybe I missed the original post documenting the issue.

Poke about for threads started by me and you will find it.

I had an older pair of Flying Eyes sunnies that I took to a place to have my prescription installed (stock non prescription lenses removed, new ones installed). I didn’t bring anything to them for a reference and what I got back was no good. Complete waste of money.

This time I wanted it done right.

A member of PoA had also suggested some clip on flip up sun lenses that I could get from Amazon. That did sorta work for my existing glasses, but wasn’t the most optimum solution for me and a long term outlook.

Back