Notice to Air Mission

So I think instead they should say "notice to air movement". Which has the added bonus of including the younger generation, who might wish to distance themselves against somehow being in control over flight. This way they can fly more as passive observers of the flight experience. "The airplane just flew that way!" could become a catch phrase.

"notice to air movement"

Think about that, think it all the way through...

Actually that would be an interesting survey....
to all the women pilots here on the forum
Have you ever in your flying career been bothered by the term Notice to Airmen?

I don't exactly have a flying career, but I have never been bothered by NOTAMs having the word "airmen" in its name. It's just typical, historical English shorthand for "mankind", which includes women last I checked. :)

OK, there is a serious problem with this.
If you are, for example, flying rescue cats from there to here. Fine. You have a mission. A NOTAM that says that a runway is closed will apply to you.
But, what if it's just nice weather, you gots all day and nowheres to go? Just flying on account of what you can? No mission, no NOTAM?

Last edited:
Absolutely ridiculous.

If the goal was to make it gender neutral, all they had to do was change it to Notice to Aviators.

The maritime equivalent of NOTAMs has always been Notice to Mariners.

It’s just not that hard.

I had a very similar thought moments after i read about this for teh first time, but then supposed that Notice To Aviators doesn't work well to keep the abbreviation.....nor does notice to pilots, etc... My bet is that one of the constraints they had in the brainstorming meeting was to keep the same abbreviation.

I really like Brad's suggestion....just make NOTAM a new word.

Right up there with the Aeronautical Information Manual.

Don't get me started about some of the other nonsense like "line up and wait."

Why does it have to stand for anything? It would fall in the same category as "radar" or "laser", words whose etymology traces back to a abbreviation but is now its own word.
Or more appropriately, considering the source, "snafu" or "fubar."

Back