Anyone watch Jimmy's World?

scarcherpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
scarcherpilot
Disclaimer....I am not affiliated with this guy at all and not pimping his videos for views.

That being said, his videos are funny and interesting. He buys old planes and rebuilds them and documents it on his youtube channel. I find his channel fun to watch over my lunch hour.

I like it. Been enjoying seeing him get the two twins fired up.

Amazes me that after a day of tinkering those engines will fire up after sitting dormant for so long. Gives me hope all these "barn finds" coming to market in this insane market will add to the dwindling GA fleet.

Amazes me that after a day of tinkering those engines will fire up after sitting dormant for so long. Gives me hope all these "barn finds" coming to market in this insane market will add to the dwindling GA fleet.

doesn't surprise me at all that the engines would start. not worried about the engine firing, I'd be worried about the airframe and all it's rotting components. and engine starting and an airplane being airworthy are two completely different things.

doesn't surprise me at all that the engines would start. not worried about the engine firing, I'd be worried about the airframe and all it's rotting components. and engine starting and an airplane being airworthy are two completely different things.
That kind of turned me off. I sort of scanned through the one where he pulls the rotten bonanza out of the weeds and gets it started. He acts like it's a big deal. There's videos on youtube of guys pulling model A's out of the woods that have been sitting for 80 years and getting them started. Sure an engine will start and run. But only for a couple hours until the cam is wiped out. I kind of wanted to watch more of the twin videos and see if he actually fixes them right or tries to flip them, but I couldn't watch that long. His 30 min videos have about 10min of content.

I watched him refurb the Six and it was interesting, and he does have a unique sense of dry humor. Then poof the Six is gone. Some of the next few episodes were not as good, then when he found the Bo, Aztec, and 310 I found the place on Google maps (satellite) and thought, OK how is this going to work? After reading about brief engine runs without flights I cringe a little knowing those engines may not be run again for awhile. But, with the age and brittleness of the rest of the plane, it’s probably the least of his worries.

That kind of turned me off. I sort of scanned through the one where he pulls the rotten bonanza out of the weeds and gets it started. He acts like it's a big deal. There's videos on youtube of guys pulling model A's out of the woods that have been sitting for 80 years and getting them started. Sure an engine will start and run. But only for a couple hours until the cam is wiped out. I kind of wanted to watch more of the twin videos and see if he actually fixes them right or tries to flip them, but I couldn't watch that long. His 30 min videos have about 10min of content.

I think making a big deal out of trivial things is common amongst people trying to generate views on youtube. This guy certainly not the only one acting like an engine start is a big deal.

I couldn't watch his videos for very long either. I'll watch (well mostly listen) to a few other guys doing automotive content but the channels I follow generally aren't chasing views. They're just putting genuine stuff out there and letting the viewership grow at a natural rate. The funny thing is, I think those guys and their raw content generate more loyal viewers than the view chasers.

I watched a couple of his avionics vids. Certainly a smarter guy than he looks:)
My suggestion is still LESS face time. Hey Jimmy, remember repugnant?

I watched a couple of his avionics vids. Certainly a smarter guy than he looks:)
My suggestion is still LESS face time. Hey Jimmy, remember repugnant?

Liked his videos but turns out he's just another POS.

Yea, sorry. Dude is a jackass who shouldn't be in the left seat.
Promise this was my last.

I like his videos. It’s a fun mix of corny and real. He had one a few weeks ago where he answered a question on his background how he has evolved the channel.

I have a sneaking suspicion that he’s got more upstairs than what he lets on in his videos.

It’s entertainment folks. I find some of the stuff he does and his mannerisms funny as all get out. I guess that’s a reflection on my warped sense of humor. So be jt.

I don't know Jimmy personally, but I know the guy that helped him haul the 3 planes back to FL. I have even seen of the Bo. Jimmy made his money in construction and from what the mutual acquaintance said, is not dumb, but likes to ham it up.
My thinking is: Watch him if you want. Don't watch him if do don't want to. I kinda like him.

I have been watching a few of his videos. From what I have been able to pick up on him, he is obviously an entrepreneur of some sort who was able to cash out in some manner. "Dumb" is definitely not how I would describe him.

As far as starting engines, that is something that alot of people do who buy old cars, boats, motorcycles, etc. That is part of the "game" to fixing up old vehicles. I have spent a whole weekend trying to get a car engine started in an old car that I picked up out of a barn. It is a challenge and kind of a game. But....no one thinks that the car is ready to hop in and go to grandma's just because you got the engine cranked.

I have to be in the right mood to watch him. That I do admit.

I enjoy his videos. I like comic entertainment, served with a touch of learning. It appears that he is better acquainted with systems and structures than most GA pilots, and he's not afraid to get his hands dirty.
While several here find the engine starting celebrations inane, his point is that the engine (the money to noise converter) is the single largest expense when restoring an aircraft. You should be happy when it sorta' works.

I find his videos entertaining, though I do envy the A&P he uses who lets him do all kinds of procedures and then signs them off. Mine would laugh me out of the hangar. :)

Back