Retirement questions

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Wondering when I should retire.. I'm 64, house is almost payed for.

-Should I use money from IRA or 401K to pay the balance on the house?
-To get full benefits from social security I would need to wait to age 66 and 8 months. The difference between taking SS now and at age 66 is about $650/mo. Should I wait or start collecting now?
-House, property taxes, utilities, hangar rental plus maintenance on the plane are about my only real dept.
-How much is needed to retire?
-Small pension from work. The will not give me a dollar amount until I file to retire.
-Current net worth about $1,400,000.
-Current income is around $100,000

Thanks

-To get full benefits from social security I would need to wait to age 66 and 8 months. The difference between taking SS now and at age 66 is about $650/mo. Should I wait or start collecting now?
-House, property taxes, utilities, hangar rental plus maintenance on the plane are about my only real dept.
-Small pension from work. The will not give me a dollar amount until I file to retire.

Thanks
Not enough information to suggest anything. How much "dept" do you have? What does that net worth include? If it includes your house, it isn't money you can use. I agree with @timrb and not touch the IRA or 401K.

Too little info to give much advice other than if you can afford to do so now, what’s the compelling reason to stay?

When I was supporting the financial advice business, my feeling was there were few pros that specialized in developing retirement income strategies, so my normal advice to consult with a good financial planner probably doesn’t apply in this instance.

Delaying claiming SS until age 70 is often recommended, as a rule. That’s because of two things:

SS is an annuity with a feature no other annuity had: cost of living increases. So it’s desirable to make the most of that.

SS payments increase the longer you delay claim, until age 70. So you get the most out of SS with its rare and valuable COLA feature by waiting to claim, and relying on some other income source until then.

Exceptions to this rule: you have a short life expectancy, or you’re the lesser paid of two spouses. T here’s an online calculator to help make this decision:
https://opensocialsecurity.com/

Wondering when I should retire
Yesterday. I can't answer the rest of your questions but can give a comparison with my trip down retirement lane.
Should I use money from IRA or 401K to pay the balance on the house?
I elected not to. My previous 401K and my current investments earn double what my mortgage interest is so it was a wash money wise. However, I retired at 52 so I have/had different goals with one being medical insurance requirements. That said once I hit 65 and sign up for medicare I will pay off the remaining of my mortgage.
Should I wait or start collecting now?
My full SSI age is 67. I plan to take at 65 when I sign up for medicare.
House, property taxes, utilities, hangar rental plus maintenance on the plane are about my only real dept.
Don't forget medical care costs if pre-65, income tax on any deferred/qualified funds you use after retirement, etc. Its not debt but is money out.
How much is needed to retire?
As much as you need. I found knowing the actual amount I was living off prior to retirement, not what my check said or general numbers, but actual numbers was the key in deciding when to retire. You might be surprised how little you actually live off... or how extravagant it is. Good luck.

Not enough information to suggest anything. How much "dept" do you have? What does that net worth include? If it includes your house, it isn't money you can use. I agree with @timrb and not touch the IRA or 401K.
Net worth is IRA's and 401K plus house. House is valued at about $250K.

Too little info to give much advice other than if you can afford to do so now, what’s the compelling reason to stay?

When I was supporting the financial advice business, my feeling was there were few pros that specialized in developing retirement income strategies, so my normal advice to consult with a good financial planner probably doesn’t apply in this instance.
Compelling reason to stay is saving for retirement and medical insurance.

Last edited:
Mr Doom reporting. Frankly, I don’t believe you have enough in savings.

The item everyone considering retirement fails to consider is managing health care costs. At age 65 you get Medicare Part A (Hospitalization) for free. You will need to subtract $170 from your social security benefit for Medicare part B (doctor's services, outpatient care). If you do not take Part B (no one in their right mind doesn’t take B and Social Security automatically enrolls you) when first eligible) and want it later there is a substantial penalty.

A lot of people enroll in Medicare advantage. It’s a Medicare HMO plan that normally covers prescription drugs and helps with Part B deductibles. I suspect quality Medicare Advantage Plans in Alaska are not prevalent and you will need to subtract another $20-$50 a month for a Part D drug coverage. If you don’t take Part D when eligible, the penalty increases every month you failed to buy it. Again, you would be brain dead to not enroll in a D plan.

if you don’t have an Advantage Plan in your area, a lot of retirees opt for a Medigap plan to pay the Part B deductibles. Another $50-$150 out of your social security.

But it gets better. The Medicare trust fund (the Part A that is free) is projected to be out of money in 5 years (2026). What is going happen is anyone’s guess.

Much of your plan relies on Social Security. The Social Security trust fund runs dry in 2033. If nothing is done, your social security check will be cut by 25%.

Last edited:
But it gets better. The Medicare trust fund (the Part A that is free) is projected to be out of money in 5 years (2026). What is going happen is anyones guess.

Much of your plan relies on Social Security. The Social Security trust fund runs dry in 2033. If nothing is done, your social security check will be cut by 25%.

The answers are:
- There was never anything of value IN the trust fund, so it running out of whatever is in there is of no consequence
and
- The government will print more money to make up the shortfall

At age 64, the big question is what he is going to do for health insurance for the time until he is eligible for MC. When will he be eligible for subsidized coverage through the .gov ? If you have to buy coverage without a subsidy at 64, it's painful.

Compelling reason to stay is saving for retirement and medical insurance.
Does your employer force 65+ into medicare? Some plans do and that little nugget is generally buried in the plan description. Don’t assume your employer’s plan will continue as primary insurer post-65.

Our decision to ‘retire’ from our day jobs is entirely dependent upon our house being fully paid. We carry no other debt and refuse to go into debt for anything, so we will have to cash flow every thing. If we want to do something our fixed income won’t support then a part time or contract job will have to be the answer.

Rule of thumb is that you can safely take 4% without reducing the principle. Back your house, car, airplane, etc or of your net worth, and to make the math easy, say you have 1MM saved, you can expect that to throw $40k/ year. Can you live on that? Can you live on that+SS? If you think the answer is yes, it'd be worth consulting a financial advisor

Sounds like your retirement would be a lot more comfortable if you can stick it out for a couple years, but the way your company has been jerking you around I understand the urge. It sounds like you're real close, but it's always better to have too much money rather than not enough.

If you have a low interest rate loan, I would not pay the house off right now, given the current inflation rate. Certainly not with your retirement accounts, no! You would pay high taxes taking a big chunk all at once. Small monthly withdrawals to bridge you to when you turn on social security benefits would be alright, should you decide to delay.

How long do you plan to live? You need to calculate your Social Security break even point. That’s the age where you’ll get more total if you die before that point taking it now, and more total if you die after that point taking it later. Then you need to estimate when you will die. There are online calculators for that.

However, even if you think you will die before that age, you might not want to take that gamble. Suppose you live to 100? Do you want the future you at age 99 to be getting a monthly check $650 + cost of living increases higher? For that matter, how much higher than that will it be if you wait til age 70?

The great majority of people start taking Social Security benefits at full retirement or earlier, but many of them have no choice. If you do have other assets (or can work longer) then you have the option of delaying it until you can get the maximum possible monthly benefit.

I used to be of the mind to trigger it sooner, like Tim said, get my money back out of that corrupt sewer as fast as possible. That is best if you are going to die soon, for sure. But if not, I’ve started questioning that.

Here is my reasoning: No matter what happens to the economy, the government will continue printing money. They have to make the SS payments. Short of the nation collapsing, the checks have to come, or millions would starve. So even in hyper inflation with worthless dollars, you’ll still get the payments for life, and with cost of living increases. But what happens to your investments in the meantime? Do your mutual funds, bonds, Bitcoin, gold, or whatever also rise with inflation? Or could there be a massive stock market crash, real estate crash, and 2nd Great Depression that wipes out your assets? Or suppose you simply live far longer than you think you will and outlive them?

Do you have a plan for long term care? LTC insurance? If not, a good chunk of that $1.4M could be wiped out by you having a stroke and needing full time care. But does that argue you should delay taking SS so you’ll have a bigger benefit later? Or does that mean you should hang on to your money so you can pay for your care?

These are all decisions you have to make for you depending on your circumstances and with careful thought. There are financial advisors that can model your situation and, like the hurricane spaghetti chart, give you a cone of likelihood of not outliving your money. If you delay SS and draw down from your retirement accounts monthly to make it to full retirement age (or beyond) how does that impact your projected future? And how does that compare to getting that bigger SS check?

Remember your investment manager may advise you to start SS immediately. He wants to keep your funds in his firm! Social security “counselors” may also advise you to start immediately. Do NOT trust them to know what’s best for you or have your best interest at heart! Their interest is to process you as quickly as possible and get you off their plate. Do NOT feel pressured into a fast decision by them if you call them for information.

Basically, is it better to bridge the gap with your retirement money for a while in exchange for a lifelong higher payout? That depends on a lot of things, how do you expect your investments to grow? Can you guarantee they will grow and not shrink? Accounts that are guaranteed not to go down pay pitifully small returns, well below the rate of inflation.

So it is a risk. What is your risk tolerance? Your investments should be restructured to be more conservative at this time, however that means you lose out on a higher rate of return, and again, can they keep up with inflation? There is a school of thought that says the traditional advice to restructure investments more conservatively at age 65 is outdated. People used to expect to only live 10 or 15 more years but now many of us are living 25 and 30 years. Going conservative means missing out on more growth opportunity. But then, that’s more risk.

There are a couple of books I found helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/Social-Security-Inside-Silver-Anniversary/dp/1981651837

[URL]https://www.amazon.com/Get-Whats-Yours-Revised-Security/dp/1501144766/ref=sr_1_3?crid=14ACQMZUHZP81&keywords=get+whats+yours+social+security+2021&qid=1639254821&s=books&sprefix=Get+wh%2Cstripbooks%2C185&sr=1-3[/URL]

Spoiler alert, they tend to advise to wait as long as possible but outline situations where you shouldn’t wait, and even if you disagree with that, they inform you about the complex rules you really should know before making a decision.

But it gets better. The Medicare trust fund (the Part A that is free) is projected to be out of money in 5 years (2026). What is going happen is anyones guess.

Much of your plan relies on Social Security. The Social Security trust fund runs dry in 2033. If nothing is done, your social security check will be cut

There is no trust fund for either. There are slips of paper with a government IOU on them. Both SS and Medicare taxes go straight into the general fund. Remember Al, George and the "lock box"?

Beware Medicare Advantage plans. Don't believe what the "licensed agents" claim. Find someone in the medical field that you trust and understands the implications of an Advantage plan. Do you really believe any insurance company (and they are all bombarding the airwaves with commercials) is going to be your sugar daddy and give you all those features for free? Of course not!

1) medicare and a supplement (not an advantage plan) will pay pretty much 100% of in-patient hospital expenses, depending on the supplement. Not so with an advantage plan.
2) if something goes wrong, you are now dealing 100% with the insurance company, not Medicare. They aint on your side.

References: a) my cousin with MPA that spent many years managing clinics in California (I don't hold that against him)
and b) my recently retired neighbor - PhD pharmacology who dealt with or was employed by (at various times) major medical insurance companies. Retired because his compay was bought by CVS. Both are strongly (can you say screaming fits?) when anyone brings up "advantage plan".

Dig into the details of any 3 advantage plans vs Medicare plus a supplement. You will be scared. But the general public believes what's on tv.

At age 64, the big question is what he is going to do for health insurance for the time until he is eligible for MC. When will he be eligible for subsidized coverage through the .gov ? If you have to buy coverage without a subsidy at 64, it's painful.
I have 4 years active Navy well 3 years 11 months and 29 days and 10 years reserve in USNR. I was hoping to get VA to cover some of the medical.

Mr Dome reporting. Frankly, I don’t believe you have enough in savings.
Says the guy who still works for a living... Individual retirement plans are about as specific as they get in the big picture. Perhaps he doesn't have enough money for your plan, but he has more than I did when I retired a few years ago. So it all depends....;)
But it gets better. The Medicare trust fund (the Part A that is free) is projected to be out of money in 5 years (2026). The Social Security trust fund runs dry in 2033. If nothing is done, your social security check will be cut by 25%.
FYI: You think? Carnac the Magnificent once predicted if Medicare or SSI ran out of money there wouldn't be a politician left in DC who allowed that. No different than medicaid, welfare, food stamps, ran out of money.

If you think you’ll live longer than average, wait as long as you can to take SS (70) or if you plan on dying young, take it now.
Don’t pay off the house, might think of refinancing if you have a higher interest rate.

Some good advice here but I highly recommend you find a fee only financial planner to help you w/ these decisions and/or validate what you decide. There's too much at stake.

What will you do after retirement? I personally don't need to know, but some people need to do something more than sit at home.

What will you do after retirement? I personally don't need to know, but some people need to do something more than sit at home.
Good question. Personally I would like to pick up some part time work, travel some, get back into wood working. Currently I leave the house at 4am and get home at 6 or 7pm. Getting tired of such a long work day

...The Social Security trust fund runs dry in 2033...
If you were truly Mr. Doom :) you would have noted the trust fund is an accounting trick. We are already borrowing money to pay SSN benefits.

One of the things most repeated to me before I retired by people who were about to retire or were retired was the fact you have to retire to something... and not from something. It didn't matter what it was but it had to be part of your plan.

@AKBill Did you decide to go bone in or no bone? Given what beef prices are doing these days, you might want to include a line item in your retirement planning for that :)

Beware Medicare Advantage plans. Don't believe what the "licensed agents" claim. Find someone in the medical field that you trust and understands the implications of an Advantage plan. Do you really believe any insurance company (and they are all bombarding the airwaves with commercials) is going to be your sugar daddy and give you all those features for free? Of course not!

1) medicare and a supplement (not an advantage plan) will pay pretty much 100% of in-patient hospital expenses, depending on the supplement. Not so with an advantage plan.
2) if something goes wrong, you are now dealing 100% with the insurance company, not Medicare. They aint on your side.

References: a) my cousin with MPA that spent many years managing clinics in California (I don't hold that against him)
and b) my recently retired neighbor - PhD pharmacology who dealt with or was employed by (at various times) major medical insurance companies. Retired because his compay was bought by CVS. Both are strongly (can you say screaming fits?) when anyone brings up "advantage plan".

Dig into the details of any 3 advantage plans vs Medicare plus a supplement. You will be scared. But the general public believes what's on tv.

All Advantage Plans aren’t the same, nor are all Medigap plans. You have to chose what suits you. I have 2 parents who have been on Advantage Plans for 20 years and never had any health problems. Do the math on Gap and D premiums over that period and they can pay a lot of out of pocket expenses.

They can also change Advantage Plans every year and are not locked into underwriting to change providers.

Also today you have smart people retiring that have substantial savings in HSAs and can pay out of pocket costs don’t need need 100% coverage while paying Medigap premiums.

Last edited:
All Advantage Plans aren’t the same, nor are all Medigap plans. You have to chose what suits you. I have 2 parents who have been on Advantage Plans for 20 years and never had any health problems. Do the math on Gap and D premiums over that period and they can pay a lot of out of pocket expenses.

They can also change Advantage Plans every year and are not locked into underwriting to change providers.

That's the crux of the issue. In good health, and no indications that will change? Then an advantage plan might be the best way to go. I'm on a supplement (Gap plan) and can change every year with no problems.

@AKBill Did you decide to go bone in or no bone? Given what beef prices are doing these days, you might want to include a line item in your retirement planning for that :)
I think we will stick with aged bone in. Hopefully the butcher my daughter in law can give us a good discount....:rolleyes:

My wife is a retired Wealth Advisor for Merrill and her brain melted when I read this to her.

Not near enough information here.

I.E. - how much is still owed on the house?

She suggests you reach to a CPA or CFP to discuss your options on the house and timelines.

She's questioning the 66+, and understands it to be 67. Her advice is definitely to wait as long as possible unless you plan on dying soon-ish.

Be sure you're signed up for Medicare before you hit 65, and avoid penalties.

That's the crux of the issue. In good health, and no indications that will change? Then an advantage plan might be the best way to go. I'm on a supplement (Gap plan) and can change every year with no problems.
Educate me. How does this work? My understanding is unless you live in 4 states that allow the transfer, you have to submit to underwriting if you changes plans or providers. If you have a heart condition, cancer, diabetes, ect, they don’t have to accept you.

Also for the folks approaching Medicare, each state has a senior health insurance program to give you unbiased information.

Last edited:
If you were truly Mr. Doom :) you would have noted the trust fund is an accounting trick. We are already borrowing money to pay SSN benefits.
Social Security is pay as you go. Even if the trust fund runs dry, about 70% of benefits can be supplied by payroll taxes.

Thanks

How much you need to retire is entirely dependent on your expenses.

Do you enjoy what you are doing? If so, then why not continue your job?

Note: I retired early at 58. I was ready... I didn't enjoy my job... it stopped being fun a few years earlier. And, I don't have a lot of expenses... so I could afford to retire.
(and I got to enjoy retirement for a few years before all this covid crap hit)

I've always thought that I would need about $5M to retire without impinging on the principal. But, with the runaway inflation we are experiencing, I don't even think that will be enough.

I've always thought that I would need about $5M to retire without impinging on the principal. But, with the runaway inflation we are experiencing, I don't even think that will be enough.
Inflation has been so low in recent years that we've almost been able to ignore it. I was shooting for about half your number, but I have no idea now. Thankfully I have almost no cash, so the assets side of the balance sheet is rising with the tide. Makes it hard to tell if I had a good year or not though.

Inflation has been so low in recent years that we've almost been able to ignore it. I was shooting for about half your number, but I have no idea now. Thankfully I have almost no cash, so the assets side of the balance sheet is rising with the tide. Makes it hard to tell if I had a good year or not though.

Maybe in 'recent years' but in the last couple... ouch.

And I don't go off published indices. I go off of what things actually cost. Gas, food, housing.... seriously through the roof. At least here.

I have 4 years active Navy well 3 years 11 months and 29 days and 10 years reserve in USNR. I was hoping to get VA to cover some of the medical.

I have no idea how the eligibility for VA benefits is calculated. I do know that there are often delays in getting the final approval through. I would think that there should be some veterans service organization or the state veterans office that can give you some guidance on navigating that process.

I'm coming up on the making a choice about Medicare age. Was leaning towards a Medigap policy. Of course anything I choose will be cheaper than what I'm paying now for an individual, unsubsidized policy. I'm wondering if the OP is eligible for COBRA for 18 months. That will take him past 65.

I'm glad I retired/resigned when I did, 4 years ago. I got to travel a bit, before COVID, and even after; and I'm sure my previous job would have included many more layers of rules and procedures that I would have found onerous. They were already becoming onerous. But I agree that you need to find some other activity that you enjoy.

Aren't you single? WGAS if you impinge on the principal? I can't think of much worse than kicking the bucket with 5M in the bank. :p

Be careful taking large distributions from tax deferred savings. Next year, you'll turn 65 and most likely will sign up for Medicare Part A & B. If you pump your taxable income up this year, ( in addition to getting bumped into a higher income tax bracket) you could see really big IRMAA premium adjustments . Even military retirees who're supposed to have medical benefits for life get hit with this. And, its huge.
https://help.checkbook.org/article/...HzkTBhHJAcHZkkolS_noptqfZoktAXQRoC0FsQAvD_BwE

If you can get by without it, wait on claiming Social Security as long as you can, up to age 70. If you don't believe you're gonna make it to age 70, then maybe you should take it sooner, rather than later.

Thanks

Watch out for Required Minimum Distributions on your 401k, starting at age 72. They could bump you up into a higher tax bracket. General consensus is to take regular distributions that will max out your current tax bracket. If you don't need it to live on right now, you might consider rolling it over to a Roth IRA (called a "back-door-Roth") You can still do that for now. But, it sounds like they're gonna start clamping down on it with lower and lower "net-worth" thresholds.

You might want to consider finding a "fiduciary" financial planner to help you with this. There are a lot of considerations you need to be aware of once you get north of about $1M. For instance, in my state, at $2M, estates start getting slapped with a 14% death tax on top of any other taxes owed. You're heirs could be left with a real headache.

My original plan was to spend it all and contribute to the grandkids college funds as I go. Then, die with just enough to cover final expenses. Its much more complicated than that now.

I'm officially retired. But, my "unofficial" full-time job is learning how to manage money in retirement.

Back