Change oil now, or after trip?

a few have suggested to change the oil, but not the filter and change it next time. the other threat @Salty mentioned, i see some of you suggested that as well. while I never did that, i am wondering what the de-merits are in doing that? I have been changing oil (and filter) at 29-30 Tach since i got the plane, but wondering about this method of changing the oil at 25 hours and both the oil and filter at 50 hours

Changing the filter isn't difficult or expensive in most airplanes. If you're gonna change the oil, do it right and do a full change. Penny wise/pound foolish.

yeah, sure, that's exactly what he meant.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MX now could find an issue while the cowl is off that you wouldn’t otherwise know about.

Flip side to that is that an error in MX could create a problem you didn’t previously have.

Changing the filter isn't difficult or expensive in most airplanes. If you're gonna change the oil, do it right and do a full change. Penny wise/pound foolish.

Not sure I agree with this. One might want to put fresh oil in because 3-4 months have passed, and it's only been 25 hours. That would seem like an ideal time for a drain and fill.

I have to ask, what’s the fascination with changing oil so early? Unless it’s black, changing at 25hrs is a waste of money and oil imho. I also don’t understand why you’d want to run fresh oil into a dirty filer. Change both at once, they’re too cheap not too, but YMMV.

I have to ask, what’s the fascination with changing oil so early?

Lead is one reason.

In my IO550 there’s lots of lead in the oil, and its concentration grows in proportion to the run. Typically 5000 ppm after 40 hours. Some of that lead settles in sludge in the rings, contributing to ‘stuck rings.’

I’m looking forward to unleaded fuel. I can have longer intervals between oil changes, and use synthetic oil as well, once the lead is out.

In my IO550 there’s lots of lead in the oil, and its concentration grows in proportion to the run. Typically 5000 ppm after 40 hours.
Well that’s after 40hrs. I was referring more to the notion of 25hr changes, but ya, I’d usually change the Archer’s oil somewhere around 40-50hrs or so.

Back