Garmin GTN 650 question

Ozone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ozone
My instructor and I got into a discussion about how many devices can connect to the GTN650?

I could not connect my ipad, and he could (he has garmin pilot, i have foreflight).

the manual says the following: "Unit allows pairing of up to 13 Bluetooth enabled devices, with two simultaneous device connections" On the next page, it then says "The unit supports wireless pairing with up to 13 portable electronic devices via the Garmin Pilot app."

If I want to get position and movement data on my foreflight ipad, can i do so with the GTN650, or do i need to kick my instructor off?

You can have multiple Bluetooth connections at the same time. Last weekend we were connected with 2 different iPads on a 625, which is a 650 without the radios.

it is possible you would need to unpair a device to be able to connect yours.

Just to be pedantic the GTN does not have bluetooth by itself, the FS510 or FS210 is what provides that. Both models of flight stream can support 2 simultaneous connections. If you have more than 2 devices in the plane with you that are paired with the FlightStream, then things can get interesting with devices connecting, kicking off another device and then another doing the same. So if you say have your phone and your iPad paired to it, and your instructor has their iPad paired, things can start fighting for the connection and I'd suggest turning off BT on any devices not currently in use to avoid that.

Just to be pedantic the GTN does not have bluetooth by itself, the FS510 or FS210 is what provides that. Both models of flight stream can support 2 simultaneous connections. If you have more than 2 devices in the plane with you that are paired with the FlightStream, then things can get interesting with devices connecting, kicking off another device and then another doing the same. So if you say have your phone and your iPad paired to it, and your instructor has their iPad paired, things can start fighting for the connection and I'd suggest turning off BT on any devices not currently in use to avoid that.
The GTX 345 transponder is another option. That's how I get my Bluetooth connectivity in flight.

The GTX 345 transponder is another option. That's how I get my Bluetooth connectivity in flight.

Same here. The 345 can be operated from the 650 and you can pair devices to the 345 using the 650. Much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you send a flight plan to the 650 through the 345?

Downloading the flight plan to/from the GTN requires a Flight Stream device from Garmin. For the GTN-650, that would be the Flight Stream 510.

Downloading the flight plan to/from the GTN requires a Flight Stream device from Garmin. For the GTN-650, that would be the Flight Stream 510.
The Flight Stream 210 will also transfer flight plans to a GTN.

The Flight Stream 210 will also transfer flight plans to a GTN.
You can also download from FF to the GTN’s through a G3X if you have that installed.

The work airplane has a FS 210 connected to a Garmin 530. It is addicting to have two way flight plan connectivity.

My instructor and I got into a discussion about how many devices can connect to the GTN650?

I could not connect my ipad, and he could (he has garmin pilot, i have foreflight).

the manual says the following: "Unit allows pairing of up to 13 Bluetooth enabled devices, with two simultaneous device connections" On the next page, it then says "The unit supports wireless pairing with up to 13 portable electronic devices via the Garmin Pilot app."

If I want to get position and movement data on my foreflight ipad, can i do so with the GTN650, or do i need to kick my instructor off?

I'm assuming you went through the pairing process for your Ipad and the GTN650? How many other devices were already saved in the GTN? Was there a second device in the aircraft, other than your instructor's Ipad, that was connected as well? I pair my Ipad to a GTN and use Foreflight all the time. It is not restricted to the Garmin Pilot app.

I'm assuming you went through the pairing process for your Ipad and the GTN650? How many other devices were already saved in the GTN? Was there a second device in the aircraft, other than your instructor's Ipad, that was connected as well? I pair my Ipad to a GTN and use Foreflight all the time. It is not restricted to the Garmin Pilot app.

+1

Yes, I paired it. There is a second device paired al the time, which is an ipad the club uses for the ADS-b traffic awareness. So, 3 devices were trying to connect at once.

Yes, I paired it. There is a second device paired al the time, which is an ipad the club uses for the ADS-b traffic awareness. So, 3 devices were trying to connect at once.

Bingo. Problem solved. Thread closed!

Back