What does "remote boxes" mean?

In your example link the transponder and audio panel are remote mounted, that is they do not have faces that appear in the radio stack with physical buttons you can press. They are remotely controlled via the GTNs (both the 750 and 650 can control the transponder, only the 750 can control the remote audio panel). The audio panel actually mounts to the top of the 750 rack and sits behind the face of the 750. The transponder can be mounted wherever. If you are space limited in your radio rack, this can be a good option, with the drawback that you don't have direct access to the device controls, it's all through the other devices, so if they fail you wouldn't be able to control the transponder or switch radios/music sources on the audio panel for example (there is a failsafe built in to fail you over to the 650 radio if the control signals from the 750 are lost).

The package description tells you what is remote mounted. In this case it looks like the audio panel and the transponder. They will be controlled through one of the GPS boxes, likely the 750.

So this is how some of the upgraded panels I see look so sparse and clean?
Have there been any issues with the 750/650?
How do most people feel/think of the remote mounting?

I love mine... 750/650 with duel remote transponders and audio panel...

Perhaps somewhat, but also because people are cutting new panels rather than applying a lot of patches to an old one and using displays like the G3X to consolidate instruments/equipment.

I haven't heard of any major problems with the 650/750 but the early boxes are starting to get some age to them so we might see some age/use related problems pop up in the not too distant future. Remote mounting of equipment has been around for a long time with minimal trouble so I personally wouldn't worry about that. I'd worry more about how you personally feel about the interface for things like the audio panel and transponder. I think the audio panel and transponder interface on the 750 is relatively easy to get to and intuitive but I can imagine some people not liking it.

The 750/650's have been pretty solid. Everything has some issues, but haven't ever seen any large scale reports of specific failure modes.

I put a 750 in my plane when they first came out and later added the 650 to replace my non-WAAS 430 that I had as #2, never had a single issue with them and pulled them and sold them off and put in 750Xi/650Xi when those came out. As far as I know my 650 is still performing well for its new owner, but my 750 developed an issue about a year and a half after I sold it (would have been close to 10 years since new at that point) and would no longer accept software updates, and was fixed under flat rate repair by Garmin.

I originally had a GTX33ES transponder (earlier remote mount ADS-B out transponder) and then upgraded to the GTX345R when those came out. I've never had an issue with the remote mount and it does save space and like you mention, gives things a sparser look in the panel. You do lose some space on the GTN display for additional data fields if you have the remote boxes, but I don't think that's a big issue for most. Some people want to have direct physical contact with each individual device's buttons, and for those folks, remote boxes are not for them, but I'd personally have no hesitation about it. I did always think it was odd that they aren't slightly cheaper given that they don't have a display or buttons :)

Back