American Plane Painting Company

Ryan F.

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan Ferguson 1974
Hello all,

Referencing American Plane Painting Co. (paintyourplane.com) based in Selma, AL.

Forgive me if this isn't the correct venue, but I placed a deposit for an aircraft paint job with this company in March of this year, appointment in January of 2022. I began reaching out in mid November regarding scheduling and paint design and despite an increased tempo as of the last week of attempted contact, have received no response.

This includes email and phone.

email: sales@paintyourplane.com, or jeff@paintyourplane.com
phone: (334) 521-2797

Distressingly, the phone number goes immediately a "the google subscriber you are trying to reach..." message. In my earlier contacts it was never clear it was a google number.

Pretty concerned and prepared to work with Amex and Legal on the next steps but figured someone might know what's going on with this operation.

Thank you.

Hello all,

Referencing American Plane Painting Co. (paintyourplane.com) based in Selma, AL.

Forgive me if this isn't the correct venue, but I placed a deposit for an aircraft paint job with this company in March of this year, appointment in January of 2022. I began reaching out in mid November regarding scheduling and paint design and despite an increased tempo as of the last week of attempted contact, have received no response.

This includes email and phone.

email: sales@paintyourplane.com, or jeff@paintyourplane.com
phone: (334) 521-2797

Distressingly, the phone number goes immediately a "the google subscriber you are trying to reach..." message. In my earlier contacts it was never clear it was a google number.

Pretty concerned and prepared to work with Amex and Legal on the next steps but figured someone might know what's going on with this operation.

Thank you.

talk to Amex- they guard their customers well. Likely you can do a chargeback based on goods/services not received…

I mean, we did just have a big holiday. Perhaps that could explain it? I would try calling from a different number to see if they pick up to confirm your suspicions. No experience with them. Could also try calling an on field fbo?

Last edited:
I seem to remember a thread a few years back about a company in Alabama that the plane owners wasn’t very happy. I’m not sure if it is the same company, but I wish you good luck getting it resolved. No matter what anyone promises, it takes 6-8 weeks to get one painted. Mine was promised in 4 weeks, I think it was 10! The reviews aren’t great, but not many either.

Attachments

• 48F1899A-F83E-4DA5-B756-8FF93EE44D5C.png
    48F1899A-F83E-4DA5-B756-8FF93EE44D5C.png
    444.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I had my plane painted so the 4-8 weeks is fine but if I read his post correctly he signed on for an 11 month lead time.
I have no advise.

Many years ago I put a deposit down for a paint job. Guy ran out on and went out of business. I sued in small claims and he didn’t show. A bench warrant was issued for him. I hope he gets stopped for a driving violation, because when they run his name, he’ll get hauled in.

At least Earl didn't ask for a deposit. That's common? I don't get it and wouldn't do it unless it was just a trivial amount.

Good luck.

They have a Facebook page try that Facebook messenger, see if you can find the guys home number, call the airport manager, google the name and number to find, and try to find any other business at that airport and and start snooping around, either they are poor business people or I hope not gone, but Amex is your friend.

Good luck on getting this resolved, I would be looking for a new paint shop, no matter what.

Maybe some one on here will know or can find out the deal

I made contact with Jeff Walker today by calling the number on file for the Craig Air Field (KSEM) airport manager. To my surprise, Jeff answered.

I will recount what he said without vouching for the logic or sensibility of any of it.

Jeff says he had what amounted to a hostile takeover of his company, American Plane Painting Co., from another company which was in the process of purchasing his company. But the transaction stalled, somehow, and the company was able to take over his lease. This other company now owns the paint shop. Supposedly this other company is or may agree to paint the aircraft on the waiting list, but obviously I want no part of that.

He is trying to "get everything figured out" and start returning deposits by the first of the year. I pointed out his advertised phone number went to a "google subscriber you have reached is not available" message and that my emails to him were still going through if he had control of his internet domain, which he said he did.

I'll probably just go straight to Amex on this from this point.

Sorry to hear of your struggles @Ryan F.

I had my plane painted at Hawk Aircraft in Zephyrhills, FL. The owner is Joe and does a great job. May not nail the target date exactly but will keep you informed and has been doing it for 30 years. I flew down from the Midwest due to his pricing and recommendations from others. I was happy.

Tell him Kevin with the sweet UGA colored 310 sent you. :)

*I have no affiliation or contact with him since I picked her up 1 1/2 years ago.

Wow. Sorry to hear of this mess. Smart that you used AMX. Let them do the battle for you and get your $ back from them. I’m shocked that the web site is still up - although it says “no longer taking work in 2022”.

Sorry to hear of your struggles @Ryan F.

I had my plane painted at Hawk Aircraft in Zephyrhills, FL. The owner is Joe and does a great job. May not nail the target date exactly but will keep you informed and has been doing it for 30 years. I flew down from the Midwest due to his pricing and recommendations from others. I was happy.

Tell him Kevin with the sweet UGA colored 310 sent you. :)

*I have no affiliation or contact with him since I picked her up 1 1/2 years ago.
They painted my 182 a few hundred years ago and did a good job, the color was wrong, but it looked good!!

I made contact with Jeff Walker today by calling the number on file for the Craig Air Field (KSEM) airport manager. To my surprise, Jeff answered.

I will recount what he said without vouching for the logic or sensibility of any of it.

Jeff says he had what amounted to a hostile takeover of his company, American Plane Painting Co., from another company which was in the process of purchasing his company. But the transaction stalled, somehow, and the company was able to take over his lease. This other company now owns the paint shop. Supposedly this other company is or may agree to paint the aircraft on the waiting list, but obviously I want no part of that.

He is trying to "get everything figured out" and start returning deposits by the first of the year. I pointed out his advertised phone number went to a "google subscriber you have reached is not available" message and that my emails to him were still going through if he had control of his internet domain, which he said he did.

I'll probably just go straight to Amex on this from this point.
Go to Evoke Aviation in Gadsden. They do excellent work

Go to Evoke Aviation in Gadsden. They do excellent work

Their work is amazing in both quality and cost. ;-)

When I was over there a few months ago, their standard charge to paint an RV-10 was $28K. Amazing work, but (IMO) a bit much to spend on an airplane that's gonna be anything other than a bubble wrapped hangar queen.

Can that actually happen if the transaction was nine months before calling AMEX?

Yea I forgot that detail… highly doubt it, if I recall right you have 6 months to file a chargeback.

Yea I forgot that detail… highly doubt it, if I recall right you have 6 months to file a chargeback.

That's not so. I spent about 20 minutes on the phone with two agents. They indicated no such restriction or concern and based on the data I provided including a receipt for the deposit and the details concerning the business' shuttered status/refusal to respond to my inquiries they immediately restored $1555.00 to my Amex account as a "suspended" amount pending their investigation. I'm hopeful they'll resolve this for me without any further efforts on my part. We'll see.

That's not so. I spent about 20 minutes on the phone with two agents. They indicated no such restriction or concern and based on the data I provided including a receipt for the deposit and the details concerning the business' shuttered status/refusal to respond to my inquiries they immediately restored $1555.00 to my Amex account as a "suspended" amount pending their investigation. I'm hopeful they'll resolve this for me without any further efforts on my part. We'll see.

That’s fantastic! I know Amex guards their customers well. I think 6 months is the legally required length to allow, and the card brands would be able to opt to go above and beyond that… also may have to do with it being a deposit on future work vs a purchase.

Hurray for Amex. I’m impressed.

Maybe it’s the card to use when making a deposit on something.

That’s fantastic! I know Amex guards their customers well. I think 6 months is the legally required length to allow, and the card brands would be able to opt to go above and beyond that… also may have to do with it being a deposit on future work vs a purchase.

Wait to see if it sticks. While they might initiate the chargeback, the key might be whether AMEX still has access to deduct that amount from the merchant's bank account. If the merchant's bank account is closed or the chargeback amount gets bounced, AMEX might not be so willing to take that hit themselves.

Wait to see if it sticks. While they might initiate the chargeback, the key might be whether AMEX still has access to deduct that amount from the merchant's bank account. If the merchant's bank account is closed or the chargeback amount gets bounced, AMEX might not be so willing to take that hit themselves.

valid point

Actually, that can’t happen. If the company went out of business then the card authorizer/underwriter is on the hook for it. I know this because I worked for an authorizer that had one of the big cruise ship companies as a merchant and when they went bye-bye we lost millions in refunds to customers that had booked trips they never got. The underwriter is providing “insurance” to the buyer that the merchant isn’t going to do this. In any case, you can rest assured that Amex will not lose a penny on the deal. Lol

so, if you ever have to fill out tons of paperwork and go through a credit check setting yourself up to take credit cards (without paying a ton in fees to someone like strip), now you know why.

The owners LinkedIn has a red flag. Was "co-owner" of a former similarly named entity that appears to have gone defunct in July 2018 with the caption "could have been so much more".

Congrats on getting the deposit back. Will definitely remember that service going forward.

Actually, that can’t happen. If the company went out of business then the card authorizer/underwriter is on the hook for it. I know this because I worked for an authorizer that had one of the big cruise ship companies as a merchant and when they went bye-bye we lost millions in refunds to customers that had booked trips they never got. The underwriter is providing “insurance” to the buyer that the merchant isn’t going to do this. In any case, you can rest assured that Amex will not lose a penny on the deal. Lol

so, if you ever have to fill out tons of paperwork and go through a credit check setting yourself up to take credit cards (without paying a ton in fees to someone like strip), now you know why.

we have merchants all the time gripe about that, I try to tell em there’s more involved than what ya see, between what you mention and trying to prevent laundering, etc…

This company is an absolute joke. A friend had his bird painted here. It was a disgusting experience and the paint looked terrible. It’s not even a 50 footer. It looks bad from 80 yards.

Back