Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
Went to the airport this morning and saw this a few hangars down:

IMG_20211204_082732419.jpg

IMG_20211204_082653503_HDR.jpg

Prop is there and everything looks undamaged. The position looks like it might be intentional with the nose sitting on that pallet, but I can't understand why. Maybe disassembled for shipping? Flightaware has it flying a year ago.

Kinda feels like a metaphor for the current state of the company.

We used to store the Cubs like that. You can fit a lot more planes in the hanger.
If this was a "Caption This Picture" contest I would go with:
"It's an ARF. He just needs to attach the wings, put the battery in, and go fly."

* For you non-model flying peeps, ARF = Almost Ready to Fly.

We used to store the Cubs like that. You can fit a lot more planes in the hanger.
If this was a "Caption This Picture" contest I would go with:
"It's an ARF. He just needs to attach the wings, put the battery in, and go fly."

* For you non-model flying peeps, ARF = Almost Ready to Fly.
I thought that I was the only one that remembers that. Thanks for bringing it up, Shepherd. No wheel pants, no spinner, good to go! We stacked them six deep against the hangar wall.

I can't imagine that is intentional. Looks like someone was moving it with a CG way forward over the front wheels, hit a pebble, and over it went.

The pallet? No idea.

I can't imagine that is intentional. Looks like someone was moving it with a CG way forward over the front wheels, hit a pebble, and over it went.

I agree. It also appears there are some drag marks on the pavement (in the second photo) leading under the pallet. Looks like someone had a good idea ... until they didn't. :(

The pallet? No idea.
What gets me is that it looks like the slightest wind coming over the hangars would put it on its side.

I should've robbed the elevators for @masloki

oil change. drains the oil better that way.
No wonder you're always late to fly ins....

I think they are in the process of mounting a new engine without an engine hoist.

I remember how nose heavy the RV-6 was before the empennage and wings were attached. If I lifted the tail 3' off the ground, suddenly, I was holding the tail down so the whole thing didn't go over on its nose. I was prepared for it, so it wasn't an issue, but it was always a concern.

So I wrapped a 25 pound dumbell in a packing blanket and put it in the tailcone.

I have a vid of the clone to this.

No wings so we made a stand and a LEFT THE NOSE GEAR IN PLACE to permit

an engine run up .

Inserting a vid is above my pay grade but someone may have seen it on eBay

a couple years ago.

What happens when you are having extensive main great work done an you **** off the shop.

"The student pilot did not do a thorough pre-flight inspection before attempting the solo cross-country..."

:)

I think the flight aware flight was a controller in fat thumbing it.

I'm surprised the non-triangulated cart didn't fold up.

Maintenance shop call to owner: "We found evidence of a prop strike. Since we're already doing heavy maintenance, we can give you a good price on the tear-down/inspection/reassembly."

The hangar floor was flat, CG OK. Rolled it out, and down the sloped ramp, the CG went forward of the wheels, and over it went. The front is on the centerline, the rest pivoted some to the side.

Is there any FAR that says you can't fly with a tarp over the windscreen? I thought not! Fly it like you stole it!

Simple. Pilot radioed the airport, gear would go down. Airport manager says no problem, we will set a cart out, just land on that…

My first thought was obviously the wings fell off in flight, and the Mooney airframe is so strong that that's just how it ended up after it made like a lawn dart. Lucky that cart was there to make it easy to move later.

The pallet may have been an afterthought.
According to the FAA, 555TR is a Mooney, deregistered due to expiration. Deregistered owner has ATP and Control Tower Operator certificates with AML rating and Lockheed C-130 type. Interesting guy, more so because of the Mooney headstand.
The tail number has been reserved until 22 February 2022.

The really weird thing is the wings are off. There are a number of aircraft from which wings can be removed with some ease, they're only held on by a few bolts. Moony wings are no such animal, they take a couple mechanics a day or two to remove. My guess is the thing is being parted out and blew over. Palette is there to protect the lower cowling. With the factory hovering on death's door parts are worth pretty good money.

Last edited:
Oof. Went to fly my middle one to breakfast this morning and saw this:
IMG_20211212_085805953_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211212_085814881_HDR.jpg

Must've happened in the wind Friday night. Looks like the triple nickel mooney has flown its last. :(

If they cared, they would have "figured it out" in the last week, rather than leaving it there...

Now that Gulfstream has stopped making new "Grummans," where will this soon-to-be recycled Mooney end up?

This is what happens if you are behind on hangar rent.

They put your plane out on the ramp and then sell enough pieces off it so they can settle your account? ;)

Back