N/A EV charging station for Airbnb's

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
What EV charging station options are available currently for non-owner occupied Airbnb type rentals? Specifically, I am interested in hardwired internet connected charging station options with the capability of requiring payment for electric used.

I see juicebox has a model which advertises this capability but some reviews are not good.

Guessing you're the owner and want to charge your tenants?

I'm pretty sure chargepoint has some EVSE options meant for commercial applications such as business.
Sema Connect is another one I've seen. They make a pedestal that has a credit card and RFID card reader.
I'd also suggest asking your power company...they may have something to offer.

Another option...My home unit is a home unit made by Chargepoint and it gets very good reviews. I like it very much although I don't really use the wifi connectivity or scheduling features that it offers. I'm not sure if it's capable of locking out or requiring pre-pay...., but it does record energy usage, and on my phone app I can go back in history...it records each charge event, time, date, kWh used, estimated cost based on my utility. With that you could back charge them.

I would suggest that you put a normal charger like mine behind a locked cabinet or in a garage so that it's not accessible by people that aren't tenants or when the unit is vacant. And then otherwise just let it be a perk and not charge them extra. It's not big money. Last night for example, recharging after my normal commute, my charger reports an estimated 43 miles added which is about right, 19.96 kWh. For the entire month of November, I used 425 kWh for a cost of about $47. That's driving 40-50 miles every weekday + a bit on weekends. Now that I'm looking at it, the dollar amount the app is reporting is very high for some reason, probably just a setting. [edit - I miscalculated, it's reporting approx correctly at $48]
And if you are going that route, you could go much simpler....just have a 50A outlet (NEMA 14-50, like an electric stove) installed where it's accessible by tenants. They can then use their own portable cable that comes with the car.

And one other thought....depending on the location, parking situation, etc.... you could get one of those credit card units and list it on an app called Plugshare. It's a directory of available chargers. Could be a source of revenue from travelers passing through or visiting the area. The only issue with this however, is it takes a few hours depending on the car to get a meaningful charge from a 220V source

Last edited:
I just realized that my chargepoint account gives a very detailed dashboard view of my charging activity logged on the website too. I could see it being useful for your purpose of monitoring the usage remotely.

Guessing you're the owner and want to charge your tenants?

Correct, not looking to make revenue on it but it will cost both in terms of electricity as well as acquisition, installation and maintenance if I choose to install such a system.
I'm pretty sure chargepoint has some EVSE options meant for commercial applications such as business.
Sema Connect is another one I've seen. They make a pedestal that has a credit card and RFID card reader.
I'd also suggest asking your power company...they may have something to offer.

I looked at Chargepoint. It seemed to get better reviews, but I don't believe they offer the online payment option without a monthly fee (even if it doesn't get used). It appears Juicebox does have that option. A monthly fee would be a dealbreaker for me.
Another option...My home unit is a home unit made by Chargepoint and it gets very good reviews. I like it very much although I don't really use the wifi connectivity or scheduling features that it offers. I'm not sure if it's capable of locking out or requiring pre-pay...., but it does record energy usage, and on my phone app I can go back in history...it records each charge event, time, date, kWh used, estimated cost based on my utility. With that you could back charge them.
Wouldn't install a unit that would require back charge...prepay only or likely just wait until options come to market.
I would suggest that you put a normal charger like mine behind a locked cabinet or in a garage so that it's not accessible by people that aren't tenants or when the unit is vacant. And then otherwise just let it be a perk and not charge them extra. It's not big money.
No garage at any of the locations. I've read this argument before. We could do that but we don't hand out free gas cards either. It's a fair argument but I just don't want to do that.
And one other thought....depending on the location, parking situation, etc.... you could get one of those credit card units and list it on an app called Plugshare.
I read about this, but we really wouldn't want to have anyone using the system but the people who are staying at the Airbnb. After all, they wouldn't want to pull up and find someone in their driveway charging a car. If Plugshare had a private mode where only people who read a code at the device were aware of its presence, that might work.

The thing about the gas card argument is that the charging/fueling paradigm is different in several ways...one of which is that unless there is a high speed DC charger nearby, an EV driver will require access to a charger for an extended time...otherwise they will go someplace else because they can't go without....while a gas car driver has many more options and it's not even a thought.

ok then, my thought is this.....
keep it simple.
Either a NEMA 15-50 outlet of a simple EVSE (Clipper Creek, Chargepoint Homeflex like mine, Juicebox, EnlX, Grizzl-e, Blink, etc...)
put it in a lockable enclosure...(or put the breaker that feeds it behind a lock)
and charge $10 or so per week to get the combination. Even at that petty amount you still might loose some customers on principle, but you'd make a profit on electricity used.
I guess you'd have to consider where the place is and how much driving a typical renter will do in a day...if everything is close and not much driving is typical, then it could be much less. If it's way out in the boonies and most folks drive a very long way every day to get to the action, then maybe more.

I'd still list it on Plugshare as a private/restricted location because EV drivers sometimes use that map to look for places to stay that have chargers available. It's not a hidden thing like you suggest, but you want people to know it's there anyway. You can list a description about charge and that it's for renter only, and it only shows up if the search option is selected to include restricted access locations. Having it will set you apart from places that don't.

Even with a small nominal charge, it's still somewhat of a perk for an EV driver...but only if it's reasonable charge. One counter point to consider against your gas card point is this.... safe bet you're not charging folks for each use of the stove. You might have laundry machines available and you probably aren't charging per load through the dryer either....and you probably don't limit water usage or bathing.....an EV charge isn't so unlike that. Some folks use more than others, some folks charge, some don't...so it might come out in the wash..... just like all the other utilities
Regardless, most folks that drive EV's know it doesn't cost much but understand that it's an amenity.

To possibly state the obvious, marketing and AirBnb is key to keeping it either paying for itself, or providing some positive cash flow. Offering an EV charge station will guarantee you extra bookings. It's a great idea in my opinion. The extra bookings might provide a much greater income than the electrical usage costs you.

Also, the type of client that rents your AirBnb is also important. I would venture to guess that the type of client driving an EV may be less likely to be a problem customer. By this I mean they are less likely to be younger and irresponsible (as I was many years ago...).

I'd still list it on Plugshare as a private/restricted location and it only shows up if the search option is selected to include restricted access locations.
I wasn't aware of this option, thanks for that.

To possibly state the obvious, marketing and AirBnb is key to keeping it either paying for itself, or providing some positive cash flow. Offering an EV charge station will guarantee you extra bookings. It's a great idea in my opinion. The extra bookings might provide a much greater income than the electrical usage costs you.

We are currently booking almost more than we want to book. We're having a hard time just keeping up with maintenance issues due to limited availability of the properties.

Also, the type of client that rents your AirBnb is also important. I would venture to guess that the type of client driving an EV may be less likely to be a problem customer. By this I mean they are less likely to be younger and irresponsible (as I was many years ago...).

Perhaps this is true. It's hard to say. We've had some surprises. I've heard of people diving off railings 60 feet AGL into a hot tub on the deck. I've heard of parents throwing their dirty diapers off said deck trying to land them in my builders truck parked on the lot downhill from the cabin.

AirBnBs seem to carry a whole wagonload of nonsense fees. I'd get the locking cabinet idea and charge 20 bucks per stay for EV charge access, or if that's not tenable/optically weird, throw it in as a perk and up the housecleaning fee 20 bucks instead.

A reasonable 15A L2 charger is cheap these days. We carry a Duosida 110/220 charger in our frunk, was maybe $300? Works on a dryer outlet, has a pigtail for 110V outlet. Can be secured to a wall. That's for the J1772 plug, you'll probably need a way to hablo Tesla also, there are adapter cords of all variety. You can also install a tesla charger and get a tesla->J1772 if that's more convenient.

In thinking about it a bit more, if we were offered the optional odious fee while staying at your palace, or a pay-to-charge instead of the perk, we'd just use our 110V EVSE from the frunk and steal your juice anyway as part of our residency.

$0.02 -- not much else to offer, we don't travel/airBnB in our EVs so have never looked for this perk.

Last edited:
Also, the type of client driving an EV may be less likely to be a problem customer. By this I mean they are less likely to be younger and irresponsible (as I was many years ago...).

In thinking about it a bit more, if we were offered the optional odious fee while staying at your palace, or a pay-to-charge instead of the perk, we'd just use our 110V EVSE from the frunk and steal your juice anyway as part of our residency.
Appreciate the honesty. I figured this is likely the case, and will increase in frequency with increasing numbers on EV's. Doesn't make a guy want to spend more to invest in faster charging. I might just leave well enough alone.

Appreciate the honesty. I figured this is likely the case, and will increase in frequency with increasing numbers on EV's. Doesn't make a guy want to spend more to invest in faster charging. I might just leave well enough alone.

Or remove all of the electrical outlets within 25 feet of the parking space if it's something that will rankle. :D

Tenants are the worst. Self included.

They make extension cords longer than 25’ and you can plug multiple together.

If you think it’s something people want, add the charger and advertise it. There will also be a group of people who value the space as green. Raise your rate by $10 to pay for it. You’re talking about a couple of dollars of electricity.

My take is that EVs are mostly local and I don’t think rental companies are renting them right now, so out of town visitors with EVs should be rare.

If you think it’s something people want, add the charger and advertise it. There will also be a group of people who value the space as green. Raise your rate by $10 to pay for it. You’re talking about a couple of dollars of electricity.

My take is that EVs are mostly local and I don’t think rental companies are renting them right now, so out of town visitors with EVs should be rare.
We've had one inquiry (that I am aware of) for EV charging capability. There may have been a few more; the direct communication between guests or prospective guests is handled by people other than myself...
Concerning to me, besides the "couple of dollars of electricity" (which may be accurate I don't know) is the inquiry asking if we have a dryer plug. Accessing that plug would likely disconnect the dryer hose, scratch the floor and walls resulting in damage on top of increased electric bills.

I believe the increase in EV usage is exponential, and we should be proactive in catering to the coming need. I don't believe it is a standard amenity today, but that day is coming.

We are currently booking almost more than we want to book. We're having a hard time just keeping up with maintenance issues due to limited availability of the properties.
I don't have any Airbnbs, let alone a bunch, so take this with a grain of salt, but were I in your position, I'd be looking for ways to differentiate my properties and raise the rates. Included EV charging would be such a differentiator, and I'd bet it wouldn't be used much. But consumers understand they're going to pay more for a "nicer" place even if they don't need it.

So why do you want to add anything if you are already booked more than you want? For me, an EV Charger is definitely worth the extra money as its a big reason we don't take the EV on road trips. If you are already booking more than you want, then just add the EV charger and raise the flat rate for everyone whether they use the charger or not.

As for adding an outlet for guests to use their own Level 2 charger, I wouldn't. 40 amps is not the same as 15 or 20 amp wall outlet. It might be overkill but, I flip the breaker before unplugging ours (which I rarely do). I wouldn't want guests in the breaker panel. I suppose you could install a switch for the outlet.

So why do you want to add anything if you are already booked more than you want? .

I am thinking ahead. The day is coming when most will want or need EV charging capability. I would like to add quick charging capability without having to eat both the cost of install and maintenance along with significant electricity consumption. Some say it's not much. Perhaps. I am speaking as one who has paid electric bills as high as $900 on one Airbnb.

As was mentioned in one post above, Airbnb's performance are closely tied to reviews. We get reviews saying it was great value totally worth it, but then receive a 3 or 4 out of 5 stars for value. This drops our ratings. So, just installing a 50 amp outlet and increasing the cost for everyone isn't necessarily a good option.

As I mentioned before, this seems a little bit odd to charge for EV charging when you aren't charging for laundry, cooking, heating water, etc....
but
There are lots of companies that make equipment for installation at small business, hotels, apartment complexes, etc.... that would work by credit card or using an account...that would be between the driver and the company that makes the equipment. I'm not sure though about what sort of relationship they have to pay you for the juice though...

I think you should probably contact
https://www.chargepoint.com/
or
https://semaconnect.com/
maybe
https://www.evconnect.com/
maybe
https://blinkcharging.com/

...these last two I think operate on the model that they own the equipment so there's some agreement or cut they take. Maybe true for all of these, I don't know.... Not sure if any of these credit card or account type payment equipment are the kind of thing you can buy and own yourself. I feel like the 1st two I listed might be the best bet
and there are lots of others too...these are just the ones I've seen a lot.
and
I'm not sure if it applies to your situation since it's not your residence, but look at the tax credit potential for the expense of installing EVSE
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf

I'd suggest that also you contact your electric company...they might have something to offer.

and it seems like you still might be fuzzy on the actual electric usage....Maybe this will help.
My car is an Audi E-Tron...roughly 220 mile total range and my useable battery is I think 83.6 kWh. I've been on several road trips in it, and would rather drive it on road trips than I would my wife's buick. It doesn't have quite as much range as say for example a tesla Y or tesla 3, but it's on the same general order as those or anything else you'll see today being used on a road trip. Some of the smaller cars don't have the range for practical travel....so mine is probably a decent example of what you would likely see. Also, mine is perhaps not quite as efficient as the Teslas, and other newer cars that are coming to market, so in a way it's kind of worst case. The teslas get more range out of a similar sized battery.

Taking a snapshot of one of my typical commuting days. I start every day with 80% charge. Last Friday, I drove 48 miles, and then recharged back to 80% using 19.97kWh for an estimated cost of about $2.25. I think it's actually a little less than that but this is what my chargepoint EVSE phone app is reporting as an estimated cost. About $0.047 per mile at my rate of about $0.11 per kWh. Your rates might be different and you can adjust accordingly....
19.97kWh is on the order of roughly 24% of my capacity

I'd suppose a typical airbnb tenant coming from some distance away will likely arrive at a rather low state of charge, so the first night would be the biggest charge. They'd probably arrive with say 10-20% in the battery
and most likely would set to charge to 80% or thereabouts. Typical practice is to not charge to 100% until just before going on a long trip...so they'd probably recharge about 70% (taking it form 10% back to 80%)...or about 3x my one day example. Let's call it 4x to be on the high side
so night one is maybe $9 on the high side. If they do a little local driving every day, they might use another $2-$3 per day while they are there if they do a lot of driving.... but are they sitting by the beach or pool all day?.....then the morning of their departure they'd probably take it back up to 100%...so add another $2 or so to that last charge to take it from 80% to 100%....

Having never been an AirBnB host, this got me to wondering -- who pays the bill if a renter burns down your house? :D

Hmmm...insurance company?

It's a business. If there was a fire at a store, do you try to get a customer to pay for it or does the business insurance kick in?

I've considered it for our vacation rental at a relatively remote drive-to beach destination. The cost and effort of implementing what you propose would not be offset by additional revenue generated. Unless your competition is doing the same, your renters will slam you in reviews for nickel and diming them because the last AirBnB they stayed at had free EV chargers and yours wasn't free.

For us, didn't pursue because 1) we have no problem getting bookings, 2) electricity is expensive, and 3) if EV owners want to charge via 110 volts they can easily do that. We rent for the week so a long charge generally shouldn't be a problem.

Right now, your guests probably just plug in their level I charger with a extension cord and use the electricity included in the rental.

If you want to make it a selling point, put a box with a NEMA 14-50 and a 20A outlet next to the parking spot and put those on a separate meter. Look at the actual consumption before you decide whether you want to go to the point of charging for use of the outlet. You'll probably find that the monthly cost is a rounding error.

As I mentioned before, this seems a little bit odd to charge for EV charging when you aren't charging for laundry, cooking, heating water, etc....
Not odd at all. The items you cite here are expected and standard items today. EV charging is not, today...
A 50 amp charger for an EV is not the same thing as charging an I-phone (yet).
but
There are lots of companies that make equipment for installation at small business, hotels, apartment complexes, etc.... that would work by credit card or using an account...that would be between the driver and the company that makes the equipment. I'm not sure though about what sort of relationship they have to pay you for the juice though...

I think you should probably contact
https://www.chargepoint.com/
or
https://semaconnect.com/
maybe
https://www.evconnect.com/
maybe
https://blinkcharging.com/
I could be wrong, but I believe all these charge a monthly fee just to have the device in place and online. That's a non-starter for me.
Appreciate your informative post though.

Having never been an AirBnB host, this got me to wondering -- who pays the bill if a renter burns down your house? :D
Our Airbnb's have a insurance policy which covers nightly rentals.

Right now, your guests probably just plug in their level I charger with a extension cord and use the electricity included in the rental.
Probably right.
If you want to make it a selling point, put a box with a NEMA 14-50 and a 20A outlet next to the parking spot and put those on a separate meter. Look at the actual consumption before you decide whether you want to go to the point of charging for use of the outlet. You'll probably find that the monthly cost is a rounding error.
No way am I going to pay for permits and installation of another meter. That doesn't even consider the hassle factor of having another bill to pay monthly.

No way am I going to pay for permits and installation of another meter. That doesn't even consider the hassle factor of having another bill to pay monthly.

No, not on a separate bill. Just a sub-meter that is installed in the panel, next to the the lockable breaker that supplies the outlets. That way you can see what the economics of this are. If you are spending 20 bucks a month on extra electricity for the EV customers, it's not worth to nickle and dime them for the power. If they suck down $200 worth of power every month, you may decide it's worth dealing with it.

I could be wrong, but I believe all these charge a monthly fee just to have the device in place and online. That's a non-starter for me.
Appreciate your informative post though.
You are probably correct about that....but then maybe they provide the equipment so your upfront costs might be lower. I'd guess that if you get enough traffic they probably just take a cut of each transaction. I think they all handle the payment for you.... and probably pay you a cut for your electricity. It's the only way I can think of you could get what you were originally asking for......

Back