Flying REALLY low…

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
…in Formula 1 cars!

Karen and I watch a video podcast called “CordKillers”. It covers options for moving away from cable/satellite TV and includes a segment called “What We’re Watching”. In it they often recommend shows we otherwise might not have considered, but sometimes try out and go on to enjoy.

https://www.cordkillers.com/

One such was Netflix’s “Formula 1: Drive to Survive”. It was touted as a largely human interest series, that would draw in even those without much knowledge or interest in Formula 1. Which describes us. We gave it a shot and really enjoy it and are now about halfway through Season 2. Highly recommended.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80204890

For whatever reason, YouTube recommended the video below to me. The technology of Formula 1 cars is truly amazing, and I think most pilots would find it interesting, especially the aerodynamics and power production. I did notice one error: the cars apparently have a pitot tube, which the video labels “pilot tube”.

Enjoy!

Not so much if you’re into strategy. There’s a ton of strategy around pit stop timing, track position, and tire selection.

Agreed.

When I was racing sports cars, I used to follow F1 and really enjoyed it, but I immersed myself in it and had at least a little understanding of what was going on. The drama of F1 gets played out over car development, technology advances, which engineer a team has hired, car setup, test days and test drivers, qualifying, etc., not just over the race itself. It's quite fascinating if you get deeply into it, but you can't approach it like watching a metal-banging NASCAR race.

Not so much if you’re into strategy. There’s a ton of strategy around pit stop timing, track position, and tire selection.

I had a position on a stock car team to calculate fuel mileage on the bigger tracks. Imagine calculating fuel mileage on a race car...

Right around when they quit refueling and introduced KERS, F1 got boring. I’ll still watch races from the 80s-00s on YouTube.

Back