Moving back to Europe. What to do with the plane? (Long Post)

Believe me, I've thought about it but ...

... what @NealRomeoGolf said. Without doing too much research on it, I think it would be more hassle than it's worth given this is a temporary (2-5 year) assignment. I'll be close to Aachen, and they have a GA airport there, but I'd have to track down a FAA blessed shop for annuals/maintenance, etc. Still a chance, but an outside one that I do it.
Piper has a factory service center in Germany.

Although European flying is a bit more "regimented" (study-up on TSAT, TOBT, and TTOT's)-- it's not as big and scary to do as some might believe.

Once you're in the E.U. and remain within other E.U. countries -- jumping from country to country is about as simple as flying from state to state back home for both ATC and customs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If I was in your situation I would sell the aircraft. Too much potential downside with lease backs, etc. even with close friends. If you did want to keep the aircraft, arrange for a tiedown near your buddy and let him fly and exercise the aircraft periodically. I wouldn't charge him for this, he's providing you a service. Good Luck!

History, ability to travel to multiple countries within a few hours. While we lived there we visited London, Paris, Prague, Frankfurt, Munich, Brussels, The Hague, the Austrian countryside and more and the worst of all that was a few 2 hour plane tickets. I just wish my work schedule had allowed for more exploring. Never got to Rome, Madrid or Norway. :(

Death Valley to Alaska?

To me it seems more like a vacation to take the girlfriend on than a place to move to

This goes without saying

I’m trying to understand the appeal to Europe
It apparently doesn't appeal to you, so how are you going to understand it?

My kids learned another language. Saw multiple cultures. Seen the Alps. Eaten Gouda cheese in the town of Gouda. Can brag they've been to some of the coolest castles in Europe. Their friends brag they've been to a NASCAR race or Disney. Woohoo.

I like the idea of letting @eman1200 have it while you are gone. He could take it to NC and keep it flying. I am also certain that he could find at least one other person to help out with that onerous task.

Nah something about common purpose blah blah blah. Sorry.

History, ability to travel to multiple countries within a few hours. While we lived there we visited London, Paris, Prague, Frankfurt, Munich, Brussels, The Hague, the Austrian countryside and more and the worst of all that was a few 2 hour plane tickets. I just wish my work schedule had allowed for more exploring. Never got to Rome, Madrid or Norway. :(

Agree, I love Europe. The history is everywhere, the very streets are older than anything in the U.S., the variety of languages, I can speak my German and French, it’s gorgeous countryside, it’s got an old world ambiance like nowhere in the U.S., the people are wonderful. Having said that, there was a reason my grandparents left it for here.

My kids learned another language. Saw multiple cultures. Seen the Alps. Eaten Gouda cheese in the town of Gouda. Can brag they've been to some of the coolest castles in Europe. Their friends brag they've been to a NASCAR race or Disney. Woohoo.

I don’t think sitting things are worth mention, cheese in Gouda or nachos at nascar, same same.

For what I have seen, cultural, the Deep South to NY to CA to AK, it’s a different world in many ways, the only difference is I’m still protected by the bill of rights, moving to a place with less rights, outside of danger level pay, I don’t get it. But that’s me, if others like it, but all means follow your heart and post some good stories

Personally I’d rather walk Boston and see the history of the free world

I don’t think sitting things are worth mention, cheese in Gouda or nachos at nascar, same same.

For what I have seen, cultural, the Deep South to NY to CA to AK, it’s a different world in many ways, the only difference is I’m still protected by the bill of rights, moving to a place with less rights, outside of danger level pay, I don’t get it. But that’s me, if others like it, but all means follow your heart and post some good stories

Personally I’d rather walk Boston and see the history of the free world

It’s fine as long as you don’t get stuck there like my grandfather did when he went back to visit his mother and WW2 broke out, they shut down the borders and he had to organize an escape.

It’s fine as long as you don’t get stuck there like my grandfather did when he went back to visit his mother and WW2 broke out, they shut down the borders and he had to organize an escape.

?

Escape+from+LA.jpg

Just to counter what might be un-informed views of life in Germany... I've lived in Germany three times, for a total of 4 years. Beautiful country and awesome, diverse continent... with people much the same as anywhere. Specifically, if Germany had better weather, then my wife and I would be living there today. And if I had Seneca III with FIKI I'd be flying over Greenland right now to get there! :) YMMV

Just to counter what might be un-informed views of life in Germany... I've lived in Germany three times, for a total of 4 years. Beautiful country and awesome, diverse continent... with people much the same as anywhere. Specifically, if Germany had better weather, then my wife and I would be living there today. And if I had Seneca III with FIKI I'd be flying over Greenland right now to get there! :) YMMV

but no freedom of speech or right to bear arms, 4A etc?

There is lots of wonderful stuff to see in the US. There is lots of wonderful stuff to see everywhere else in the world. I've thoroughly enjoyed every one of my trips to Europe, and to the handful of other places around the globe that I've been fortunate enough to see.

Sure, there are some places I don't currently wish to visit, or to re-visit, but some of those places are in the US, so that won't deter me from traveling as much as I'm able.

Seneca III.................pics please.........thank you.

I’ve eaten Gouda in Gouda as well. I’ve also had Belgian waffles in Brussels and tapas in Madrid. I’ve also had dandan mein and tons of other Chinese dishes in China and bulgogi and kimchi in Korea.

It is fun and enlightening to visit other cultures. But I have never been to Disney and the closest I have been to NASCAR is a practice session at Indy. And neither is on my top 1000 things to do.

While I do love the USA as it is my home and I have seen a large portion of it, I think I would really enjoy the expat lifestyle and not just short term. My wife and I have even discussed retiring to China. That idea should really make at least one head on here spin off its axle.

I’ve eaten Gouda in Gouda as well. I’ve also had Belgian waffles in Brussels and tapas in Madrid. I’ve also had dandan mein and tons of other Chinese dishes in China and bulgogi and kimchi in Korea.

It is fun and enlightening to visit other cultures. But I have never been to Disney and the closest I have been to NASCAR is a practice session at Indy. And neither is on my top 1000 things to do.

While I do love the USA as it is my home and I have seen a large portion of it, I think I would really enjoy the expat lifestyle and not just short term. My wife and I have even discussed retiring to China. That idea should really make at least one head on here spin off its axle.

I don’t think enjoying the US lifestyle and even debating moving to china make sense

I'd vote sell or pickle it. Weird tie up of assets almost always causes some sort of tension. If its paid for then fly it to BFE in a dry climate put it in a hangar somewhere tell the FBO heres a christmas bonus to check up on it once a month keep hangar insurance on it then don't think about it for 2 years.

I may sounds like a jerk here, but I'll say it anyway. Sounds to me like you're wondering what to do with a beautiful plane, and you're picking nits on cost. Pick one.

If you have only one guy that you trust to fly the plane, let him fly the plane. He pays for fuel, and he pays for insurance. You pay for maintenance and the hanger - because it's your plane. Ask him if he can commit to flying it a couple of times a month. His flying the plane preserves the value, just as much as if you left your great dane behind and you needed someone to walk it.

Then you can come back whenever you want, and fly your aircraft. He's doing you a favor, keeping the plane in good shape, looking out after it, and it won't be any worse for wear when you come back. For him, he does have a nice plane to fly, but at the same time he's also having to look after it. Make sure it's kept clean, that it gets maintained, that it's safe. All that work to just get to fly it sounds fair to me. If it were a rental he wouldn't have any of those concerns, nor would he have any need to fly it every month. That's a commitment, even if it does sounds like a fun one.

I don’t think enjoying the US lifestyle and even debating moving to china make sense

First three words of your post sum things up quite well.

As to the original topic: I would do whatever is necessary to keep my airplane. The future is always an uncertainty, but selling it now guarantees you’ll have to endure the torture of finding a comparable airplane when you return to the home of NASCAR and the brave, brave citizens with closets full of guns. ;)

Last edited:
I'd sit down with both my friend and our mutual friend who is negative on the 51/49 split and hash it out. There are good points to all the suggestions presented here, but it sounds like you're leaning toward that solution and so is your friend. Your mutual friend can help you think through all the possible downsides. You don't have to please him or her, but having a naysayer participating in the discussion is always helpful.

I would sell it. The used airplane market is crazy right now, and you'll make a nice chunk of money on it. There will still be used airplanes when you come back, and you may be able to step up to something even nicer if the market come back to reality by then.

I've wished for "first right of refusal" for subsequent sale on a few planes now. I wonder if those are ever enforceable?

Sell it for more than you paid for it and buy a better one when you come back!
I don't fall in love with airplanes and love selling them. LOL!

There’s a Focsle Follies skit with your name all over it for being “that guy” who refused to sell in an up market, only to come back and find a basket case.

Battered plane owner syndrome, don’t tell your AME.

You really need to get out more.

I traveled a respectable amount, some very fun things to experience, but as Pen and Teller said, I was always refreshed to be back home

*apparently the clips where Penn mentioned china and Egypt were taken down….

Anywho

Last edited:
Name a price. Sell the plane and expect to buy it back when you return.

The peace of mind would be worth it...

40$ a month will hanger it at KSBX . Dry climate . Have aircraft hangered next to my T that haven't been out for years.

Just curious what’s the appeal to Europe?

Some of it seems pretty, but no guns, GA is priced out, and they don’t have a bill of rights like the US?

You can own guns in Europe... personally I have no need for them, but you can own them. GA priced out... correct, it is expensive, but then again you can join a club and there are many. Bill of Rights... not to make this a political thing, but may countries after WWII adopted a modern Bill of Rights, check out the German Grundgesetz..

And they have some cheap airlines there too.

Where are you headed to?

Back