What are you flying?

cmsuav8r

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
cmsuav8r
The how do you afford to fly thread has me curious as to what everyone is flying. So, what are you currently flying? What do you want to be flying?

I'm currently flying some beat up 172's at a local flying club. I'm looking at joining a different flying club with newer 172's/182's, or joining my company flying club that has a nice DA40 and a nice 172.

Eventually I want to end up in something that I can fly my family around that has reasonable speed.

Own nothing.
Fly Piper Arrow II and 172s regularly. DA40 and SR22 G3 TN occasionally. All via clubs.

Would love to get into MU2 and Citations…

I’m slowly entering the market and have committed to PoA a thrilling post about “which plane I should buy” with my mission, so no spoilers today ;)

Currently a '63 Cherokee 180. Not sure how much longer I'll have it with prices where they are and having my dads pa32-300 in the hangar as well.

Last edited:
AMD 601XLi-B Zodiac factory built SLSA converted to experimental.
  • 105 knots cruise, 5.5 gph, 800 fpm ROC at gross.
  • I do my own maintenance, minor alterations (including ADS-B Out), and condition inspections.
  • It's cheap to fly and maintain and tons of fun to fly.

1977 Piper Lance - PA32R-300

What do I want to be flying? A Pilatus PC12 would be nice. Not gonna happen.
Same. Well, mine's a '76. Because I'm more patriotic than Neal.

If money were no object...pc12, da62, vision jet.

In reality, the pa32r really hits a sweet spot on the speed/ comfort/ cost matrix. After having her a year I've kind of fallen in love. This will be the plane for the foreseeable future.

My next plane? Part of me wants to go vintage like a cessna 195. Part of me wants to go faster & more capable like a tbm or da62. Maybe a seneca or sr22t .I figure I'll know when I get there.

Same. Well, mine's a '76. Because I'm more patriotic than Neal.

If money were no object...pc12, da62, vision jet.

In reality, the pa32r really hits a sweet spot on the speed/ comfort/ cost matrix. After having her a year I've kind of fallen in love. This will be the plane for the foreseeable future.

My next plane? Part of me wants to go vintage like a cessna 195. Part of me wants to go faster & more capable like a tbm or da62. Maybe a seneca or sr22t .I figure I'll know when I get there.

6 seat RV...

I would rather fly a RV-10.. but currently settled in with PA-28

Piper arrow for the last almost decade. Would like to be flying an RV6A instead.

The market, inflation, and household schedules conditions have pushed the timeline to the right.

The work airplane is just my saving grace; I'm having a blast at 40 like i was at 25 as a childless single, don't tell my wife lol

Last edited:
Mooney M20J 201.

What would I like? A Cessna 310R would be sweet!

1965 Cessna 150E...Straight Tail,
Was looking at straight tail C172's in 2019 but the market took off and priced me out of those.

Hatz Biplane right now. No plans for another plane right now, though something more aerobatic would be nice, it'd be another biplane. Though a seaplane or bushplane would be fun too...

Flew a club Archer to start then bought our first plane, a 1980 Sundowner. Owned the Sundowner for nine years and upgraded to a Debonair, that lasted fifteen hours. We now own a 1976 Commander 112A

6737871D-6C7D-4678-8ABD-EE8FBF1CDFAB.jpeg 781A9D09-AFD6-417B-83D0-6A7DB685F5C1.jpeg 0A00A1BE-9B57-4B1B-A4D7-491BE8D80CC1.jpeg

PA28-180

Would like a SR22T, but the wife says...no.

1960s "Mooney Mark 20C" with 180 hp O-360-A1A; 201 windscreen; flap, aileron, and dorsal fin seals; elevator and flap hinge hinge covers; cowl, leading edge, and wing tip fairings; wheel well liner.

Currently flying: various 172Ms at a local flight school.

Want to fly: a TL-2000 StingSport, Sting S3, Sting S4, etc. would be ideal. I could make due with a Cessna 150/172/182 club/part ownership, though. Anyone got leads in North Idaho/East Washington? :)

The how do you afford to fly thread has me curious as to what everyone is flying. So, what are you currently flying? What do you want to be flying?

I'm currently flying some beat up 172's at a local flying club. I'm looking at joining a different flying club with newer 172's/182's, or joining my company flying club that has a nice DA40 and a nice 172.

Eventually I want to end up in something that I can fly my family around that has reasonable speed.

I instruct, so I fly a lot of different makes and models.

Photo by Jack Fleetwood.
N601KE_Over_Sedona_1k.jpg

1953 Cessna 180
Hawk Arrow II, aka the Flying GoCart

Back