100th airport

137 airports, 2 countries (Canada, USA), 22 states, 1083 landings.

A long time ago I embarked on a mission to land at every paved, public (private if I could get permission) airport in my home state of Washington.
That's such a neat goal! I think I'll steal it from ya. Which one/ones are your favorites?
Edit: I think I'll change that to every charted paved and unpaved airstrip in WA.

Last edited:
Someone asked "How long to do 1217 landings."
That's the total in my current log book, which I started on 03/13/2012.

I enjoy tracking this stuff. 1,219 unique landing spots (including a frozen lake, a few roads, etc) in 60 different countries and 49 states. Longest single leg was 16.7 hours, Daytona Beach FL to Santa Maria CA. A few more long ones to come if the Pacific ever opens...

I enjoy tracking this stuff. 1,219 unique landing spots (including a frozen lake, a few roads, etc) in 60 different countries and 49 states. Longest single leg was 16.7 hours, Daytona Beach FL to Santa Maria CA. A few more long ones to come if the Pacific ever opens...

I gotta ask... what was #100?
#1000?

I Longest single leg was 16.7 hours, Daytona Beach FL to Santa Maria CA. A few more long ones to come if the Pacific ever opens...

Ok I have to ask, how do you accomplish FL to CA in 16.7 hours non stop? There has to be a story there.

Dude. You win.

Seriously, can anyone top that? I'm impressed... but 16.7 hours in a 182, no thanks!

That's such a neat goal! I think I'll steal it from ya. Which one/ones are your favorites?...
So many favorites for so many different reasons. For some photos see:
https://www.demonick.com/flying/flying.photos.html

I tend to find the more lonely airports more interesting.

Wilson Creek (5W1) - ripping, gusty direct crosswind. On the third try, between gusts, crabbed at 45 degrees, put it down softly.

For the scenery: (So, so many)
Electric City (3w7)
Oroville (0S7)
Raymond (2S9)
Ephrata (EPH)
Republic (R49)

Port Townsend (0S9) - for the pie.

Concrete (3W5) - for the summer time cold air sinkholes at each end. (The river is ice water).

Sekiu (11S) - for the carrier-like takeoff on 8.

Hoquium (HQM) - when the west wind blows. Takeoffs are an express elevator ride.

Quillayute (UIL) - reminds me of Stephen King's Langoliers.

Roche Harbor (WA09) and Friday Harbor (FHR) - for a summer's day walk.

And of course, the fictional Issaquah Sky Ranch (KISR).

I'm up to 122 now, and I'm not sure what was lucky 100, but I'm sure it was some craptastic place in the People's Republic of Minnesota.

You %(*^%$$ made me dig logs and count! Haha.

Here they are in alphabetical order. Check for your favorites!

One of my personal favorites is Meigs. I'll remember it forever.

35Q, 3K6, 3LF...

Note that MyFlightbook's visited airports computation will de-dupe by location, so SFO and KSFO are one airport, and if XYZ changes to ABC they will also be grouped together as one.

So many favorites for so many different reasons. For some photos see:
https://www.demonick.com/flying/flying.photos.html

{... lists a bunch of Washington State airports}

I love that airport list. Being based near Seattle myself, I've been to every one of them. I actually set a goal for myself 15 (!) years ago to land at every public-use airport in Washington. Did it, and then added Oregon and Hawaii. If you go to the Achievements section on MyFlightbook, there are some badges for achieving different levels of airports within a state...

...Being based near Seattle myself, I've been to every one of them. I actually set a goal for myself 15 (!) years ago to land at every public-use airport in Washington. Did it, and then added Oregon and Hawaii....
Congratulations! You're the only person I know who set that goal and accomplished it.
Does "public use" include Copalis and SeaTac?

Congratulations! You're the only person I know who set that goal and accomplished it.
Does "public use" include Copalis and SeaTac?
Absolutely to both! In fact, I had to get my seaplane rating as part of the process in order to knock out the dozen or so charted seaports in the state. Copalis is cool. Seatac I did one morning at like 5:30am. (Ended up going back there last year during the pandemic mid-afternoon with my son - who was a student pilot at the time - in the left seat.)

Possibly two most interesting airports in the state, though, are Avey (69S), because the north/south runway crosses the US-Canada border, and Rogersburg (D69), deep in Hells Canyon in the extreme south-east corner of the state.

Absolutely to both! In fact, I had to get my seaplane rating as part of the process in order to knock out the dozen or so charted seaports in the state.
That's dedication to a goal!

Maybe I missed it, but what are you flying?

Sheesh - I actually misremembered; I have a *fourth* state: I bagged Rhode Island last summer.

As for what I'm flying: WA, OR, and RI were (mostly) in my flying clubs' mooney M20J, which sadly had a gear failure in June (no injuries!) and was written off by the insurance company. The rest of WA/OR were in my club's archers, and Hawaii was a mix of aircraft (172's and 177's) that I was able to rent.

Attachments

• visited.png
    visited.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 12
So all low-wings for the turf and gravel strips?
I have to ask, how many public use airports in Rhode Island? The whole state is only half the land area of King County in which I live.

I have to ask, how many public use airports in Rhode Island? The whole state is only half the land area of King County in which I live.

6 I think including Block Island. We’re in and out of Westerly a few times a year to visit the in-laws. Highly recommend Dooney Aviation. Breakfast in the summer at the open air restaurant at Block island is very civilized and pleasant.

I was just telling @Jim K that I hit my 100th yesterday so I figured I'd resurrect his thread. I hit four new airports in one day yesterday - KEYE, KPVD, KMTN and KOSU. KMTN (Martin State in Baltimore) now gets to be my 100th airport in the logbook.

My 100th was KISQ 99th was more interesting Mackinac Island

981 landings at 144 airports and a few non-airports across I think 18 states, including all 89 public airports in North Dakota (got my jacket for that last month) and Minot Air Force Base. It looks like MyFlightBook listed my 50th airport as an achievement but not 100th.

aint u got some farmin’ to do?
I wish. At this point I'm sitting around wishing it would either stop raining... or that i had an airplane.

My 100th airport was Illwaco (7W1), a 2100' asphalt runway on the north shore of Baker Bay at the mouth of the Columbia River, at the southern end of Long Beach Peninsula. There is not a single building on the field, but it is adjacent to a small residential community with no formal ties to the airport. Lots of well-maintained grass--great for a picnic.

I guess I'm still a newbie, but I did search through my paper logbooks, and it looks like I'm a little past 50 airports total. My primary instructor and another one I used for occasional flight reviews have illegible handwriting, so on some of those old flights I'm not entirely sure now where we landed...

So I think my 50th airport, give or take, was Randall, NY 06N. It was on one of my flights to tag airports I'd never landed at before.

My most memorable was probably Block Island. I really need to get back there one of these days.

I'm at 70 now... only 6 so far this year. KOSH was #67, that was cool.

981 landings at 144 airports and a few non-airports across I think 18 states, including all 89 public airports in North Dakota (got my jacket for that last month) and Minot Air Force Base. It looks like MyFlightBook listed my 50th airport as an achievement but not 100th.
I only have 4 levels (bronze, silver, gold, platinum), so they aren't linearly spaced. Bronze to silver is a smaller gap than silver to gold is a smaller gap than gold to platinum.

Easy with electronic log.

Mine shows 144 airports. 1950 landings.

27 states.

Last edited:
Last count was 238 airport’s have eight states left on my quest of landing in all states did Alaska and several in CAnada and a few in the Bahamas.

So last night I hit #97. Flying the Cub has really helped me add to my number - given that I was at 70 airports in April. My next trip is Saturday to an airport where I've already landed.

But I'm thinking I'll do something eventful for my 100th - any ideas? I'm based in Chicago - so VNY is probably out.

Back