172 panel for ifr?

lsu_wildcatter

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
lsu_wildcats
Looking at a 172 for 45k a '74 model I believe with 6k tt, 300snew 2014 e2d w/ 48gal tanks. Seems high last 172 I looked at a few years ago was low 30s but I guess motor is better time wise. Wondering how the panel below will work out for IFR training based on these specs?

gtx 330 transponder with a 530 paired to a gi106a and a gmx200
kr 87 & kx84 and a gma340 plus a gauge size panel mounted free flight ads-b

Has two transponders maybe for redundancy? Can one be removed as well as the adf/dme keeping just the 530 for training, to throw in a second com radio in their place? Is there a newer audio panel that can slide in to replace the old gma that has bluetooth?

Looking at a 172 for 45k a '74 model I believe with 6k tt, 300snew 2014 e2d w/ 48gal tanks. Seems high last 172 I looked at a few years ago was low 30s but I guess motor is better time wise. Wondering how the panel below will work out for IFR training based on these specs?

gtx 330 transponder with a 530 paired to a gi106a and a gmx200
kr 87 & kx84 and a gma340 plus a gauge size panel mounted free flight ads-b

Has two transponders maybe for redundancy? Can one be removed as well as the adf/dme keeping just the 530 for training, to throw in a second com radio in their place? Is there a newer audio panel that can slide in to replace the old gma that has bluetooth?
That panel would be ok ifr, I’d like the 530 better if it was WAAS. I’d leave adf until you do panel work.

Ok thanks I cut a check earlier for it. I’m not sure if it’s W gps but the seller had said something about the gps being connected to the audio panel for mountain flying alerts.

Local avionics shop offered to install a ifd540 for free if I give them the unit. Didn’t realize it was 10+ years old surprised they wanted something that ancient but happy I don’t have to pay for an installation.

based on today's prices I hope you bought it....that sounds like an excellent price with an engine that new (and assuming no major accidents). I see that vintage on the for sale websites being $65k+ these days and usually higher.
Yes, purchased it am looking forward to training with it.

Got to haggle the price a bit due to some missing paint, had some chips on the wing tips and spinner. Hope to finish my rating with it and sell without losing my skin to upgrade to a bigger plane. Probably should have just rented but like the ease of having it whenever I want.

You sure the FreeFlight is another transponder and not a UAT?

Is there a newer audio panel that can slide in to replace the old gma that has bluetooth?
Yup! Check out the offerings from PS Engineering.

The Garmin items are good, but PS Engineering offers a better unit in my opinion. Plus waaaay better customer service and factory support.

@mscheuer is the president of the company and an active participant on these forums. Give him a call!

Garmin sucks. My Garmin audio panel turned comm1 into a kazoo. Couldn't get a decent turnaround on AOG repairs but they were happy to fedex me a new one that tI bought.
Never going to put another Garmin device in my panel again.

Ok thanks I cut a check earlier for it. I’m not sure if it’s W gps but the seller had said something about the gps being connected to the audio panel for mountain flying alerts.

Local avionics shop offered to install a ifd540 for free if I give them the unit. Didn’t realize it was 10+ years old surprised they wanted something that ancient but happy I don’t have to pay for an installation.

Isn't the IFD540 a direct slide in replacement, which would mean it can basically be slid in place by anybody? If that's the case, I'd sell the 530 outright and slide the 540 in myself.

Edit: it is the IFD550 that is the slide in replacment.

Isn't the IFD540 a direct slide in replacement, which would mean it can basically be slid in place by anybody? If that's the case, I'd sell the 530 outright and slide the 540 in myself.

Edit: it is the IFD550 that is the slide in replacment.

Yes. Slide in for the 540 or 550. The 530 should be worth at least 5k, and the guy will do a 1 hour install for the 530? Nice of him.

Back