Anyone have good East coast destinations for ski snowboarding?

systemloc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SystemLoc
Hi!

I'm looking for a good ski resort near an airport for a convienient destination to fly in and ski from Florida. Anyone know a good East coast destination convienient to fly in and ski?

I have here what I've found so far but haven't flown in to any yet, so I don't know about convienientlce, transportation, etc..

Winterplace ski, Ghent wv
Raleigh county memorial bkw is 15 mi away

Shenendoah valley VA
Eagles nest w13 is 20 mi from wintergreen mtn
Shenandoah regional shd is 20 mi from massanutten ski resort

VT
Stowe mtn resort is 15 mi from stowe airport kmvl

Mount Snow ski Resort, Dover. NH 5mi from 4V8
The Omni Homestead, Hot Springs, VA 6mi from KHSP

Here's a few more I was able to find out of an old post I missed on my first search:

WV
WV62, Windwood flyin Resort, which is in the Caanan Valley near Show Shoe and Timberline and Caanan Valley Resort. Note: the runway is only plowed if there is an overnight guest flying in.

Elkins, WV, (KEKN) is the closest airport to Snowshoe and has rental cars. Note: West Virginia is a hilly place with winding roads, and it is nearly an hour's drive.

VT
Mt. Snow the runway is at the base of the mountain.

NY
Hunter Mountain Airport in NY 97NY. Not sure how close it is to Hunter Mt. Ski Resort.

Rutland is Probably 15 minute drive to Killington, 30-40 to Okemo.

0NY0 next to Gore Mtn, in North Creek, NY.

Lake Placid Airport, NY, (LKP) serves Lake Placid. Lake Placid is pretty good. It's a nice mountain for east coast(a little windy, but good). And there are 2 airports in the area. One right next to the town and free bus ride to slopes, the other is about 30 min away and is much larger and also away from the mountains.

VA
Bryce, VA, (VG18) is located right at the Bryce resort. Note: short runway; short ski runs, too, but convenient.

MD
Garrett County, MD, (2G4) 2 miles from Wisp.
Caution -- Note: arrange in advance for a rental car or be marooned..

ME
Bethel, ME, (0B1) is 6 miles from Sunday River in Maine

Sugarloaf Regional Airport, Carrabassett Valley Maine

PA
KMPO Mount Pocono, PA

Wilkes-Barre Scranton, PA, (AVP) is but a few miles from Montage, and it's easy to get a ride fron the FBO.

Last edited:
Mount Snow ski Resort, Dover. NH 5mi from 4V8
The Omni Homestead, Hot Springs, VA 6mi from KHSP

Omni the slopes look disappointing. Mount Snow looks pretty great. Have you been there? How was it?

Looks like you found all the ones I was aware of. Good luck, and maybe see you on the slopes!

Tim

Here's a few more I was able to find out of an old post I missed on my first search:....

ladies and gentlemen of PoA, let it hereby be known that on this very day, the thirtieth day of the eleventh month of the, well, of this year --->2021.............SOMEONE SSUCCESSFULLY USED THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a few more I was able to find out of an old post I missed on my first search:

WV
WV62, Windwood flyin Resort, which is in the Caanan Valley near Show Shoe and Timberline and Caanan Valley Resort. Note: the runway is only plowed if there is an overnight guest flying in.

Elkins, WV, (KEKN) is the closest airport to Snowshoe and has rental cars. Note: West Virginia is a hilly place with winding roads, and it is nearly an hour's drive.

VT
Mt. Snow the runway is at the base of the mountain.

NY
Hunter Mountain Airport in NY 97NY. Not sure how close it is to Hunter Mt. Ski Resort.

Rutland is Probably 15 minute drive to Killington, 30-40 to Okemo.

0NY0 next to Gore Mtn, in North Creek, NY.

Lake Placid Airport, NY, (LKP) serves Lake Placid. Lake Placid is pretty good. It's a nice mountain for east coast(a little windy, but good). And there are 2 airports in the area. One right next to the town and free bus ride to slopes, the other is about 30 min away and is much larger and also away from the mountains.

VA
Bryce, VA, (VG18) is located right at the Bryce resort. Note: short runway; short ski runs, too, but convenient.

MD
Garrett County, MD, (2G4) 2 miles from Wisp.
Caution -- Note: arrange in advance for a rental car or be marooned..

ME
Bethel, ME, (0B1) is 6 miles from Sunday River in Maine

Sugarloaf Regional Airport, Carrabassett Valley Maine

PA
KMPO Mount Pocono, PA

Wilkes-Barre Scranton, PA, (AVP) is but a few miles from Montage, and it's easy to get a ride fron the FBO.

I live alongside 0NY0, and I can see Gore Mt from my house. You can see it from the runway. You can’t miss it (although I strongly recommend you avoid it) from miles away on any approach to town, and you’ll be near it in the pattern. Just make sure your airplane has skis, too, if you’re planning on flying in during the winter. ;)

Yeah 0NY0 is a little sketch for me. Turf rwy in the winter. Too bad, I learned to snowboard not far from there at Labradour Mtn.

Omni the slopes look disappointing. Mount Snow looks pretty great. Have you been there? How was it?
I frequented Mount Snow when I lived in upstate NY many moons ago. I liked it back then.
The Omni is more of a historical place than anything. I believe it was the first ski resort in the US if my memory serves me correctly.

Blue Knob Resort south of Altoona, PA. Small resort, but good for a quick weekend. You could fly into Ebensburg or Altoona-Blair Airport and be at Blue Knob within 30 minutes or so. Nothing really crazy in terms of resort attractions, but it's cheap and generally not too crowded. They have some pretty good night skiing/snowboard park as well. Clubhouse is at the top of the mountain and it's the highest skiable mountain in PA. Only downside is that it can be a bit fickle with the snowfall conditions sometimes. Have to keep an eye out on their website/FB page to make sure it's going to be worth the trip.

Last edited:
SHD is not too far from Massanutten Resort, a decent mid-Atlantic ski resort.

Bryce is convenient for flying in, but it's small.

Of the mid Atlantic destinations, Snowshoe is probably the most expansive, and generally gets the best snow. But as you noticed, it's still a haul from Elkins.

What airfield is near sugar? I ski there but I couldn't find any airport close by except a really sketchy Private strip.
My home field, 0A9 Elizabethton TN, is the closest field to Sugar and Beech that Jets can get into. Mountain city may be closer.

Yeah 0NY0 is a little sketch for me. Turf rwy in the winter. Too bad, I learned to snowboard not far from there at Labradour Mtn.

Never heard of it. Had to look it up. That’s a 3+ hour drive from here. “Not far from (h)ere” in intergalactic terms, I suppose. :) Just mount up some wheel skis and stop being a wuss. ;)

Catamount Resort is a few miles west of KGBR (Great Barrington).

Never heard of it. Had to look it up. That’s a 3+ hour drive from here. “Not far from (h)ere” in intergalactic terms, I suppose. :) Just mount up some wheel skis and stop being a wuss. ;)

Yeah I was in Syracuse and people would do trips to Gore. I never went though because of the distance and Lab had a good deal for lessons. Right now I do a 3.5 hr drive to go skiing at the closest slope on weekends so yeah, thats close!

A little bit West,

https://www.crystalmountain.com/ (Assuming we get some good skiing weather in Michigan - probably best during January)

is only a mile or two from 7Y2 Thompsonville airport. Not sure how transportation works - probably the ski resort will do so.

Yeah I was in Syracuse and people would do trips to Gore. I never went though because of the distance and Lab had a good deal for lessons. Right now I do a 3.5 hr drive to go skiing at the closest slope on weekends so yeah, thats close!

Yikes! I guess we’re spoiled- we can see one of the lifts from the living room couch. (Burnt Ridge Quad, just a little section near the top. At night the noise from the snowmaking guns is almost loud enough to be annoying when you’re this used to dead quiet the rest of the year.) :)

Freyburg, ME (KIZG) is the airport for the area around North Conway, NH . You'll need a car. At one point Enterprise served the airport.

If you can't get access to Windwood, Elkins, WV (KEKN) is the closest airport to Canaan Valley and Timberline. Both are small but the valley is a snow hole and both resorts have fairly reliable snow.

Shawnee Mountain Hotel and Ski Resort is 6 miles from Stroudsburg Pocono airport (N53) in PA.

Mountain Creek Ski and Resort Center is 8 miles from Sussex County airport (KFWN) in NJ

I've never been there, but for the most in convenience it seems like the Nemacolin resort in PA provides what you are looking for, and more, all in one spot. Fly into their private runway (PA88, 3845 ft paved), stay at one of their resort accomodations, and ski/snow board at The Peak ski center. They claim trails from Beginner to Expert, but I didn't see any specifics, like vertical drop or length of trails.

Shawnee Mountain Hotel and Ski Resort is 6 miles from Stroudsburg Pocono airport (N53) in PA.

Mountain Creek Ski and Resort Center is 8 miles from Sussex County airport (KFWN) in NJ

I've never been there, but for the most in convenience it seems like the Nemacolin resort in PA provides what you are looking for, and more, all in one spot. Fly into their private runway (PA88, 3845 ft paved), stay at one of their resort accomodations, and ski/snow board at The Peak ski center. They claim trails from Beginner to Expert, but I didn't see any specifics, like vertical drop or length of trails.
Nemacolin isn't really top level skiing for that region but yes it would be the best all in one package for flying in.

7 Springs is accessible from LBE or VVS via rental car, they used to have their own airport too but that went by the wayside.

Growing up in VA, I don't know why anyone would travel to VA or even W VA to go skiing. If you're going to travel for skiing, head further north so you don't have to "ski" on ice.

Growing up in VA, I don't know why anyone would travel to VA or even W VA to go skiing. If you're going to travel for skiing, head further north so you don't have to "ski" on ice.

Heading north of VA won't guarantee you won't be skiing on ice. To increase your odds of avoiding the scratchy stuff, head 2000 miles west north west of VA.

Back