Annual & medical done - relax for a year.

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
I knew in November I would need to renew my 2nd class medical & my 182 would be due for an annual. The anticipation of both events puts me on edge. There's always a chance my 182 will have some expensive problem pop up & even though I feel like I'm in relatively good health for my 65 years...there may be something unexpected.

The annual went fine. $3,200. Not bad. In that figure I had new tires installed & the nose cap on my cowling had some cracks so I had that fixed. Compressions were good & they actually found a small oil leak near the oil cooler that I've been trying to find for three years. I flew it home content.

Today I met with my AME & had my physical. Everything was good. Quickest medical I've ever had. Now that I'm instructing full time the medical meant more to me than when I was just flying for recreation.

I am a "stewer" by nature so now I can sleep in peace for another year or so. Okay maybe 10 months. It's great to have both inspections done.

& even though I feel like I'm in relatively good health for my 65 years...there may be something unexpected.

Boy can they sneak up on you all of a sudden. This week I just got told a hip replacement won’t help, I need to stay on NSAIDS indefinitely and learn to live with pain, and there are no better hearing aids than I’ve got, a cochlear implant won’t help, I just need to learn to read lips. Today I’m going for my mammogram and bone density and if this week’s trend continues I dread what they’re going to find.

I’m a stewer too and I go through the same anxiety prior to events of important consequence. Glad yours turned out well for another year. :)

It is always such a relief when you get past things like this! I stew sometimes too.

Saddletramp came out relatively unscathed. Praying that you can get by all this, Rushie, without undue problems.

It is always such a relief when you get past things like this! I stew sometimes too.

Saddletramp came out relatively unscathed. Praying that you can get by all this, Rushie, without undue problems.

Thanks. It is what it is. I’m grateful for what health I do have and there are such things as second opinions and other options. I haven’t given up.

Every 6 months the dreaded physical. I think my blood pressure always was always 10 pts higher when i went in. When I settled on an AME that I knew and knew i could trust, it got a lot easier. I went to a couple who seemed to want an astronaut physical. One wanted a Compleat blood work up for a 1st class, and stool samples. I left and went elsewhere. My favorite was the AME who I gave BFR's to and did his annuals on the V-tail. I gave his wife a pitch hitter course. I knew without a doubt that he would keep me out of the cockpit if needed, and also when I had an issue with the aero medical branch, he went to bat for me. That is the relationship I want for my AME. I can discuss anything, anytime. Sadly, he passed a couple years ago. But yes, when you depend on the physical for your livelihood, its stressful. Not like it was in 1960, much easier now, but still.................

Back