Inside of the valve cover is painted??

k9medic

Line Up and Wait
N Central FL and GTC Bahamas when off work
Display Name

Display name:
ATP-H, CMEL, CSEL, CFI/CFII Airplanes and Helicopters
We pulled one of the valve/rocker covers off to replace the seal and found the inside of the valve cover painted. This is on an IO-470VO.

Seeing this has me stumped. I have never come across paint on the inside of a cover. Then again, this is the first Continental that I have opened up.

In my mind this is a horrible design and it can't possibly be like this from the factory. The paint was bubbling in a couple of places and it appeared that it was just a matter of time before some of the paint came off and entered into the engine itself.

I double checked with 2 different A&P/IA's and both agreed that they have never seen something like this.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm concerned about what you'll find when you remove all the paint, from all six.

I'm thinking that if none of the paint came off, you caught that part in time. But next I'd be wondering who rebuilt the engine, and what else goofy they did. Maybe just that one thing. Or maybe a previous owner did it on their own?

Owner had Mattituck o/h engine which included test cell run.

Upon delivery;it was noted that one of the Rocker Covers was damaged in shipping.

Removal showed rust forming on the inside.

Since the covers were bead blasted I did not find it really unusual.

Rocker Covers often have a lot of moisture within.

Fresh blasted steel surfaces generally begin to show signs of rust within hours

if not protected. Fuselages will do the same just from humidity.

Protection of some sort Is needed but paint IN a cover would not be my choice.

Oiling the inside of the cover may protect until engine oil takes over the task.

If it's for an experimental, there's a solution:
http://www.sdsefi.com/sdsaero.htm
breaking.jpg

most continentals I have seen have aluminum rocker covers
I would switch to aluminum, if not, I'd have the rocker covers cad plated.

Back