Prop shops in central FL

Ed Haywood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Big Ed
The Hartzell prop on my Decathlon is leaking oil. My A&P says it needs an inspect and reseal. Prop is about 300 hours SNEW, but also 15 years old, and I've been flying hard and frequent acro for the last few months.

There are 2 prop shops in the Tampa area that will pick it up .... but getting one to do so is apparently a challenge. All the prop shops are reportedly backlogged. I'm getting a bit antsy about what is shaping up to be a longer period of AOG than I expected.

This is my first rodeo with prop work. Is this just the way it is, and I need to chill out? Should I offer to deliver the prop to them to speed up the process? Are there any fly-in shops worth checking with?

The Hartzell prop on my Decathlon is leaking oil. My A&P says it needs an inspect and reseal. Prop is about 300 hours SNEW, but also 15 years old, and I've been flying hard and frequent acro for the last few months.

There are 2 prop shops in the Tampa area that will pick it up .... but getting one to do so is apparently a challenge. All the prop shops are reportedly backlogged. I'm getting a bit antsy about what is shaping up to be a longer period of AOG than I expected.

This is my first rodeo with prop work. Is this just the way it is, and I need to chill out? Should I offer to deliver the prop to them to speed up the process? Are there any fly-in shops worth checking with?

my friend waited months for a hartzell prop for his 182.

he said it was 7800 for a overhaul with new blades or 9800 for all new. He went with new.His hubs were under sized and couldn’t be resealed.

made me glad I was flying a 172.

Good luck with yours.

Last edited:
my friend waited months for a hartzell prop for his 182.

Yikes! That is what I am worried about. I was hoping to get it done before Christmas.

Have heard that issues with older Hartzell hubs usually make it more cost effective to buy a new prop. Mine was installed new in 2005 so hopefully not an issue. Blades only have 300 hours TT and look to be in good shape.

That's one of the two I am considering, but my A&P says they are heavily backed up.

I used Aviation Propellers Inc in Opa Locka FL for my bonanza's inspection and oil transfer unit overhaul. I paid about 3200 for the work, and left the plane at KTMB to have it done. Pretty painless. the only issue I had was that I was expecting them to paint the prop and they didnt (although I didnt communicate with the shop about that, so that was my wrong assumption. I dont recall them being super backed up this summer when I brought the plane to them

Back