World Chess Championship 2021

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
Starts in one week.

51691845340_3d4567ceb0_z.jpg

Hopefully will be better than 2018’s draw fest where Carlsen and Caruana drew 12 consecutive games, finally decided in a series of rapid games that Carlsen won, retaining the title. Personally, I think the championship should only be based on classical games, regardless of how long it takes.

Anyway, the games will be played in Dubai starting at 7:30 AM Eastern time. I expect comments about it being as exciting as watching paint dry or grass grow, but I find it fascinating watching the best in the world go head to head.

But that’s just me!™️

when they allow fighting in chess, I 'might' watch it.

If it weren't for the temper tantrums, I wouldn't watch golf at all.

Two games, two draws.

Yesterday’s game was a so-so draw, but today’s was quite a dynamic game:

Agamador has a pleasant way of analyzing games that I enjoy.

Game 3 tomorrow.

I love chess but just can't get excited about the championships any more, way too many draws.

Rapid and Blitz needs to be more than just a tie breaker, the quality drops a little but it's still very high level chess and much more exciting.

I love chess but just can't get excited about the championships any more, way too many draws.

I pretty much agree.

Now that chess engines are so powerful, openings have been analyzed so deeply it’s rare for either player to get a big advantage there. But it seems like these World Championship games are especially tedious. There were lots of dynamic, attacking games in the Candidates tournament, which always gets my hopes up for more of the same in the World Championship games.

There are lots of Rapid and Blitz matches all year long, and the games do tend to be more dramatic due to imprecisions forced by time pressure. It just doesn’t quite feel like “real” chess to me.

So far, today’s Game 3 is a dull positional duel.

Another draw. Some complications but nothing special.
I read Coram's (?) book about John Boyd. There was a comment in there where Boyd said that 2 equal pilots facing off in 2 equal fighters would result in both dying when they hit the ground. They'd each try to gain advantage and counter, in such a way they'd always be trading off airspeed, altitude, and energy until they both hit the ground. The first one to flinch would put himself at a disadvantage and lose - but when neither flinched it's a draw and they both die.

Not quite the same stakes in chess, but it sounds like these two guys' games are so evenly matched, it's simple a matter of time before one of them flinches and loses or they draw forever.

Back