MSFS 2020 never runs

sarangan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew, CFI-I
I've owned FS2020 for about a year now, and have run it only a handful of times. Every time I start the software after a few weeks of not using it, it goes into "Gaming Services" and just sits there, as if I should know what to do next (screenshot attached). Even if I find my way to the FS2020 product on the Microsoft Store page, and hit Play, it brings me back to the "Gaming Services" page.

The last half a dozen times, I ended up uninstalling FS2020 and reinstalling from scratch. Then it works, for a few days. It is a massive download, of about 100+GB, so obviously I am not happy doing a new install every time. Any ideas what might be happening?

Attachments

• MSFS.png
    MSFS.png
    230.4 KB · Views: 35
It works fine for me ... Microsoft et al's software skills are much better than my simulator piloting skills. My biggest complaint is that I find it harder to pilot the sim than a real airplane.

There have been an incredible number (and size) of updates, and if you don't check it every few days, you can face a massive download. Also, if your PC (or whatever device) isn't up to the required standards, it may run poorly, or not at all. There are a number of online forums dedicated to MSFS, where users could probably help you out.

have you tried the below
1. MS store… - select msflight simulator… (just select that’s all)
2. Go back to windows updates (settings-windows updates)… - select get updates.
3. sometimes it takes a while… once, that update is installed…
4. open MSFS2020, it will request update required and let the update begin…

i hope this works.

have you tried the below
1. MS store… - select msflight simulator… (just select that’s all)
2. Go back to windows updates (settings-windows updates)… - select get updates.
3. sometimes it takes a while… once, that update is installed…
4. open MSFS2020, it will request update required and let the update begin…

i hope this works.

1. MS Store - select msflight simulator
2. Click "Uninstall"
3. Purchase X-Plane
4. Download X-Plane
5. Love X-Plane

:p I kid, I kid - I'm a flight-sim nut though and use both. Hopefully the OP has got it figured out - the avsim website or even reddit's MSFS community might have more people who can help with technical issues, but I avoid reddit like the plague so I wouldn't know.

I contacted Microsoft support, and they gave me a weird response. They told me to go find a recent security update KB5005565 and uninstall it. Except I could not uninstall it. It does not seem to be an update that I can remove.

FS2020 is very nice, but it seems to be a very buggy product. I read through other discussion forums and lots of people are having problems. They are modifying registry entries and uninstalling a bunch of windows security features to make it run. Considering that it is a Microsoft product, it is very odd.

Last edited:
I have been running it for awhile now, not a single issue. You do need a very powerful processor and lots of RAM. I run it off an SSD.

It's a piece of crap.

Everything Microsoft does is crap. Bloated, buggy, and susceptible to any 14 year old hacker. I only use it for garmin database updates and to run tax software. I curse it every time.

Oh I see. This is a new thread. Ha.

I think the new thing runs great... On smoking good hardware. Ha.

If you can get smoking good hardware during the supply chain stupidity.

Or a video card from a scalper for 400% MSRP. Hahahaha

I have been running it for awhile now, not a single issue. You do need a very powerful processor and lots of RAM. I run it off an SSD.

Well, I have 32GB of RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Core i7 Quad Core processor running at 3.4GHz, Radeon RX5700 Video card. The video card used to show a peak load around 50% when the sim was running, so I think there is plenty of power to spare.

Microsoft is instructing me to remove one of their latest security updates is the strangest thing. Why did they unroll the security update if it is going to render one of their own products inoperable?

I'd say, uninstall MSFS 2020 and install Prepar3D. The current version is 5, but there are more 3rd party add-ons for V4, which I like much better than V3.

I'd also recommend FSX:SE but it seems to have a disk corruption feature built in.

It took me about 3 different tries over 6 months to get it installed and running only to find out my CPU was the LIMFAC in my setup. Z690 motherboard and i7-12700 ordered, just waiting to get back home from the holidays to get it installed.

Back