Car gas and Av Gas basically the same price in LA

According to gasbuddy.com, the prices of car gas around KHHR is between $4.19 and $4.99 / gallon.

According to 100ll.com, gas at KHHR is $5.04 / gallon (self serve).

I just spot checked this one location, but this certainly seems strange for car gas and av gas to be nearly the same price.

According to ForeFlight, the cheapest self serve 100LL at HHR is $5.59 right now. So about a dollar higher than the average of the gasbuddy prices you mentioned. So about the same as nearly everywhere else in the country.

Apparently, according to the rest of this thread, things being normal is the fault of out of control politicians, illegal immigrants, and commies. And don’t mess with Texas? Or something…

According to ForeFlight, the cheapest self serve 100LL at HHR is $5.59 right now. So about a dollar higher than the average of the gasbuddy prices you mentioned. So about the same as nearly everywhere else in the country.
(emphasis mine)

I find it interesting that 100ll prices appear to be much more stable, and not vary as much as car-gas prices.

Within the last year or so, friends and neighbors here in California have moved to Nevada, Oregon, Oklahoma, Florida, South Carolina and North Carolina (2X).
What? None moved here to AZ???

(emphasis mine)

I find it interesting that 100ll prices appear to be much more stable, and not vary as much as car-gas prices.
Me too, but when you think about the volume it make sense. I have a friend who manages an airport. They have a 3000 gallon tank and only adjust the price when they fill it. They probably average 25-50 gallons a day, so it takes months between fills. Meanwhile gas stations change prices hourly depending on local competition. What concerns me is what 100ll prices will do in a month or two. I'm hoping some of this energy price spike is an overreaction and will correct by then.

What? None moved here to AZ???

It’s funny you should say that, because I forgot that just a month ago, ex-neighbors moved from California to Show Low, AZ, following their daughter who moved there earlier. And another airport friend moved to Payson several months back.

So the list for the last year or so according to my possibly incomplete memory is Arizona (2X), Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Nevada, North Carolina (2X) and Florida. If I go back a couple of years I could add Idaho (2X), Colorado and I’d guess more if I were to think about it.

Last edited:
The free market tells you about California and Texas

Go to UHaul.com and price a truck

From LA to Dallas for December 3, $3,800.00
From Dallas to LA for December 3, $828.00

Lots more people moving out than in.....says the free market. And congressional seats.

Lots more people moving out than in.....says the free market. And congressional seats.

There are lots of studies to back up the trend being discussed. Here are but two, an internet search will reveal dozens.

https://njbmagazine.com/njb-news-now/nj-tops-most-moved-from-state-ranking-again/
https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy...ifornia-illinois-for-arizona-idaho-and-others

From the second link the five states people are moving to in greatest numbers are ID, AZ, TN, SC, NC
The five states from which people are fleeing in greatest numbers are IL, NY, CA, NJ, MD
Eight counties, nearly half the land area of the state, have passed referenda stating that they wish to secede from OR.

The astute reader may detect a pattern here.

Last edited:

Yea. I've been thinking of making a move. It must be kind of nice living around people who feel the same way you do about most political issues. I've never experienced that.

oh, the humanity

A conservative bias on POA?
No, that would require that POA members be responsible for the exodus from IL, NY, CA, NJ, MD and influx into ID, AZ, TN, SC, NC. That's not the case. Large numbers of people, overwhelmingly not POA members, are voting with their feet (or cars or whatever) and chosing to move out of those states.

Sorry if the data doesn't align with your worldview.

No, that would require that POA members be responsible for the exodus from IL, NY, CA, NJ, MD and influx into ID, AZ, TN, SC, NC. That's not the case. Large numbers of people, overwhelmingly not POA members, are voting with their feet (or cars or whatever) and chosing to move out of those states.

Sorry if the data doesn't align with your worldview.
If you would note: political discussions are not allowed on POA. Perhaps you could stop going on and on about it. But I guess that is impossible. Might as well turn the thread into a gun topic as well.

If you would note: political discussions are not allowed on POA. Perhaps you could stop going on and on about it.

I responded to @cowtowner with one post citing data from North American and United Van Lines. If you think that's political discussion and constitutes 'going on and on about it', I can't help you.

Ugh, at least I am a lot younger than most of you and will have a few quiet years.

Ugh, at least I am a lot younger than most of you and will have a few quiet years.

That's an interesting thought... and presumes much about people younger than you.

That's an interesting thought... and presumes much about people younger than you.
And now back to our regularly scheduled programing....or probably not with this group.

I like Mogas. It is cheaper, even if it's price fluctuates faster. It also goes back down faster. And I have never experienced a fouled plug, so I don't have to worry about leaning on the ground.

I had the mogas STC on my cherokee, but then I upgraded the horsepower and lost the STC. But, I didn't have fouled plugs with 100LL. I preferred the higher horsepower.

It’s funny you should say that, because I forgot that just a month ago, ex-neighbors moved from California to Show Low, AZ, following their daughter who moved there earlier. And another airport friend moved to Payson several months back.

So the list for the last year or so according to my possibly incomplete memory is Arizona (2X), Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Nevada, North Carolina (2X) and Florida. If I go back a couple of years I could add Idaho (2X), Colorado and I’d guess more if I were to think about it.

Very interesting. I was born in, and still live in the Phoenix suburbs. There are quite a few California refugees... er... transplants that live out here. I do find it interesting that your two neighbors moved to Show Low and Payson. 30 years ago when I was in boy scouts, those were two tiny sleepy mountain towns, but they've been growing quite a bit lately.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programing....or probably not with this group.

I like Mogas. It is cheaper, even if it's price fluctuates faster. It also goes back down faster. And I have never experienced a fouled plug, so I don't have to worry about leaning on the ground.
I'd love to be able to use Mogas, but it's just not available at all in AZ... All the car gas has ethanol in it...

Might want to get your facts straight. California's population in 2000 was 33.63 million. Population in 2019 was 39.51 million. Not too many moving out. Probably just as many moving out of Texas with their recent social policies.

New York has a fairly flat population growth of only a few thousand a year up or down at this point.
Actually last year was the first year in the history of CA (since statehood) that the total population declined. So, yes, as if very recently people ARE leaving CA.

Actually last year was the first year in the history of CA (since statehood) that the total population declined. So, yes, as if very recently people ARE leaving CA.
You might want to start talking about gas again, or not.

Or you (plural) can just still go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about people leaving blue states to make yourselves feel better. Either one.

Now look what you started. :D

CA taxes the hell out of everything. Why? Because they can. Why can they? Because people who stay here think it's still worth it. When they stop liking it, they move to some southern ****-hole and post screed about how CA sucks and rabble rabble rabble. It's what I would do too if humidity, ignorant mobs, or tornadoes kept me locked in the cellar of my home.

(it is a thread about gasoline after all, may as well sling some :p )

That’s why all the California’s are fleeing to other states that are better run….and voting for the stuff that made them leave?

Yesterday was a first for me in over fifty years of flying. On the same day I put gas in my car (self-serve premium unleaded at a Safeway gas station in Goodyear AZ) and 100LL in the airplane (St. Johns AZ, KSJN - full service) ... and the avgas was two cents a gallon cheaper.

Last edited:
Yesterday was a first for me in over fifty years of flying. On the same day I put gas in my car (self-serve premium unleaded at a Safeway gas station in Goodyear AZ) and 100LL in the airplane (St. Johns AZ, KSJN - full service) ... and the avgas was two cents a gallon cheaper.
Wow that is amazing. Not in a good way though.

I'm in Waco, TX tonight, and gas is .25-.30/gallon cheaper than in Dallas. No idea why.

Interestingly, when I moved from California back to Texas (1990), gas cost pretty much the same there as here; now, it is what I can only characterize as "ridiculously more costly." I admit to not knowing why that is so.

And I loved living in California - but it was never "home" for my bride and me, and we always knew we'd return to Texas. Still miss the quality of the fresh vegetables there.

And I loved living in California - but it was never "home" for my bride and me, and we always knew we'd return to Texas. Still miss the quality of the fresh vegetables there.

Why would the quality of fresh vegetables be noticably different?

EPA mandates a certain mixture for DFW and Houston for gasoline. It's more expensive.

I'm in Waco, TX tonight, and gas is .25-.30/gallon cheaper than in Dallas. No idea why.

Interestingly, when I moved from California back to Texas (1990), gas cost pretty much the same there as here; now, it is what I can only characterize as "ridiculously more costly." I admit to not knowing why that is so.

Back