100th airport

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
For some reason I decided to dig through my logbook and count how many different airports appear on it. Came up with 101.

#101 was Gaston's, so that's kinda cool.

#100 was IJX, which while a nice airport, isn't as exciting. Didn't know it was 100 or I would've gone somewhere more special.

Anybody else track this sort of stuff?

I don't know how many airports I've landed at quite a few. I know of a few that I have landed at 100 times.....:rolleyes:
Total landings are ~600, so there's some repeats. I'd wager ~400 of those are at cmi.

For some reason I decided to dig through my logbook and count how many different airports appear on it. Came up with 101.

#100 was IJX, which while a nice airport, isn't as exciting. Didn't know it was 100 or I would've gone somewhere more special.

Congratulations!! That is pretty cool.

I don't think I have landed at 100 different airports in my short time in aviation? But like many I have landed well over 100 times at 2 airports that I frequent.

Is that bad? Do I need to get out more? lol

Happy Thanksgiving.

Wow that’s awesome! I’m only at 59 different airports (2 grass, 1 Bravo, 1 private) across 434 landings.

Wow that’s awesome! I’m only at 59 different airports (2 grass, 1 Bravo, 1 private) across 434 landings.
The "illinois project" has greatly inflated that number; it's been fun seeing all corners of the state. It really is quite an amazing and beautiful state, in spite of the politics & corruption. Want to see the only uranium hexafloride plant in the US, one of five in the world? Go to Metropolis, it's right next to the airport. Forests, farmlands, river bluffs, barges, the Chicago skyline, the state capital, lots of cool stuff to see.

Last edited:
The "illinois project" has greatly inflated that number; it's been fun seeing all corners of the state. It really is quite an amazing and beautiful state, in spite of the politics & corruption. Want to see the only uranium hexafloride plant in the US, one of five in the world? Go to Metropolis, it's right next to the airport. Forests, farmlands, river bluffs, barges, the Chicago skyline, the state capital, lots of cool stuff to see.
Thats a cool idea.. and I just need to get out more!

137 airports, 2 countries (Canada, USA), 22 states, 1083 landings.

A long time ago I embarked on a mission to land at every paved, public (private if I could get permission) airport in my home state of Washington. A few disappeared after I bagged them. A few disappeared before I bagged them, so the exact numbers are slightly off, but of the original 128, I have 16 remaining. Two of those are Spokane and SeaTac International.

I have one white whale. I've gone down to Morton three times with the intent of landing at Strom Field (39P). For some reason I never get comfortable. There's a hill and power lines, but I've landed at shorter fields, fields with mountains in the way, and fields with powerlines. At this point, I think it's psychological.

I hadn’t been tracking, but now that you’ve mentioned it, I checked. I’m at 93, so I’ll start planning something cool for 100!

137 airports, 2 countries (Canada, USA), 22 states, 1083 landings.

A long time ago I embarked on a mission to land at every paved, public (private if I could get permission) airport in my home state of Washington. A few disappeared after I bagged them. A few disappeared before I bagged them, so the exact numbers are slightly off, but of the original 128, I have 16 remaining. Two of those are Spokane and SeaTac International.

I have one white whale. I've gone down to Morton three times with the intent of landing at Strom Field (39P). For some reason I never get comfortable. There's a hill and power lines, but I've landed at shorter fields, fields with mountains in the way, and fields with powerlines. At this point, I think it's psychological.
I took advantage of the pandemic to fly VFR into ORD during the day. That was a rare opportunity for a ~120 hour pilot. Did MDW for my IFR XC, and my home field CMI is probably the third busiest, so its all downhill from here. Oddly the grass fields are proving harder as it seems like it rains every time I have a chance to go "get" one.

Can I claim Canada? I touched down on Canadian soil (asphalt) and then taxied to the US ramp at 48Y. If you go with the "boots on the ground" rule my airplane has been to Canada, but I haven't.

From memory… M72, 22M, 8M1, M40, 25M, M41, M44, 5A4, 5A6, 1A6, KTUP, KUOX, KHKS, KOLV, KDCU, KPIB, KGNF, KGWO, KRNV, KCKM, KBTR, KJKA, KMSL, KBNA, KTHA, KSNH, KAWM, KRHP, KRYY, KSTF, KCMD, KMEI, KDWH, KCEW, KBKV, KSAV, KFPR, KVLA, KFLD, KOSH, KIAD, KDTS, 4R9, KDAB, A08, KCRX, 15M, KOSX, 5A6, KHOT, KTYQ, KFTY, KFGU, KMKL, KEVV, KPMU, KLUL, KFLL, KMGM, KMRC, KBNA, KMEM, KMBO, KJAN, M34, KMQY, KHAB, 8A1, KTVR, KPVE, I69, KRZR, KFYM, KBYH, M05, M34.

ForeFlight says 582 landings, so probably 650ish total. 500hrs

Last edited:
you need to buy an airplane...then you'll have to exercise it every week to keep the engine from getting rusty....
Yesterday’s 8 hour drive was all about the merits of twin vs single, and different types of icing protection haha

I took advantage of the pandemic to fly VFR into ORD during the day. That was a rare opportunity for a ~120 hour pilot. Did MDW for my IFR XC, and my home field CMI is probably the third busiest, so its all downhill from here. Oddly the grass fields are proving harder as it seems like it rains every time I have a chance to go "get" one.

Can I claim Canada? I touched down on Canadian soil (asphalt) and then taxied to the US ramp at 48Y. If you go with the "boots on the ground" rule my airplane has been to Canada, but I haven't.

ORD and MDW are still on my list.. :(

I track airports landed in my RV-8 on a Google map; right now I'm at roughly 490 airports accrued over 15 years and 1850 hours of flying. I need to find a few more to bump it up to 500 just for giggles, plus I need to bag a landing in Nevada so I can mark all the Lower 48 states in my RV. But, my total airport count is a good bit higher if I count my airline and freight dog flying over the last 31 years... but for now, my inner geek only counts the RV stuff to the list. Not sure I have the energy to peruse my logbooks for the rest of them.

You %(*^%$$ made me dig logs and count! Haha.

Here they are in alphabetical order. Check for your favorites!

One of my personal favorites is Meigs. I'll remember it forever.

35Q, 3K6, 3LF
AAT, ABI, AEG, ALN, AVX
BFL, BLH, BLI, BLV, BMC, BMI, BUR
CCB, CDH, CGX, CGZ, CHD, CIR, CL35, CMO, CNO, CPS, CRQ, CXL
CYSE, CYXX
DEC, DVT, DWH
E05, E63, E69, EDU, EHR, ELK, ELP, EMT, ENL, EVV, EYQ
F70, FES, FFZ, FHU, FLG, FUL
GEU, GRE, GUP, GYR
HAF, HHR, HII, HMT, HND, HSB, HSD, HUF
IHZ, IWA, IXD, IZA
JTC
L06, L18, L45, LGB, LUF
M34, MCC, MDH, MDW, MEM, MEV, MFR, MIT
MMLP, MMLT, MMSF, MMSL
MO49, MOD, MVN, MWA, MYF
OKB, OLV, OLY, ONT
P04, P14, P33, P52, PAN, PGA, PHX, PSP
RMN, RPH
SAF, SAN, SAR, SBD, SCK, SDL, SDM, SEE, SEZ, SIK, SJN, SMO, SNS, SOW, SPI, SQL, STS
T03, TCC, TUS
VGT, VNY
WDG, WWR
XBP
YUM (now NYL)

Haven’t gone through my logs, but looking at a chart, I’m surprised I was able to count 44 airports that I can remember flying to. The most memorable trip was definitely First Flight after a flight up the beach. Triple Tree for the eclipse and lunch at the Beacon after. Flying into Chesapeake and missing right traffic until I was at the airport (Doh). A club annual flight to Fayetteville in IMC. St Simon for barbecue and running into my cousin.

I just started counting the ones I could remember, 100 wasn’t very many.

211 airports over 44 states and 10 countries. To be fair work has contributed the vast majority of that. I have been trying to get to every paved strip in my home state with my plane, but Florida has a lot more airports than I realized!

Last Spring Wife and I flew around the country and I logged landing in 13 states. That trip, plus many years of flying, give me logged landings in all 48 lower states.
About 12 years ago I had a student, Shawn W, and after he got his PPL he put together a "Touch 'Em All" project. The goal, to land all all 38 public, paved airports in Maine. a while after, an airport meeting with MDOT I brought up the project and they liked it. A great way to promote GA in the state. Asked Shawn if it was OK to post on the state MDOT site and he agreed.
https://www.maine.gov/mdot/aviation/docs/Maine-Touch_Em_All_Project-1.pdf
I am still a few airports short.

Only 42 airports in 9 states. Will have to work on that.

Congrats!

Too bad 100 wasn't more special.

Earlier this year I thought I missed 200 being special. Then I found I'd missed entering one in my tracker spreadsheet, so 200 was visiting our youngest daughter in Pueblo. :D

Lots of repeats, from visiting our middle daughter in Lexington, to common locations for Angel Flight, and other common destinations.

I have a little over 1,400 hours and just over 1,200 landings.

Wayne

Does it have to be an official airport to be included in the official count or just any landings.??

I quit counting landings when I was doing 15 or so a day.

I think it’d be special if location #100 is on the back 40 of the ranch, or some gravel near a glacier, or a sandbar on a winding river, or maybe a dried lake bed, a frozen lake, or even a melted lake!

Which all the above are my favorite landing areas, except the melted lake might be a little tough with wheels...

I landed on a frozen lake once very late in the season. The landing area was marked off in black paint. And you know what the sun does to ice that is painted black...:eek2: So i guess I could say I landed on a melting lake. :lol:

Number 100 for me was SFO during the early days of the pandemic. SFO had just three scheduled arrivals in the 3pm hour that day, but I still had to hold since a flight of T-38s decided to check SFO off their bucket list. SFO was also the last public airport on the SFO TAC that I hadn't landed at.

So I've been putting off putting my records into an electronic format. This exercise convinced me I should do it, and with everyone recommending "my flight book", I gave it a shot.

I found a surprising number of mistakes...

Picked up .3 total, .5 imc, 2 complex, and 5 xc. I also found that I wrote "RLL" instead of "RRL" . Apparently I'm not as good at keeping a paper log as I thought....

When I counted, I guess I must've double counted one airport. MFB came up with exactly 100, and I went through and double checked that all the identifiers were in there. Which makes Gastons #100 after all :cheers:

Last edited:
Back