remote 120v switch

What about it? THere's a guy who comes buy here selling them on a regular basis, or you can buy essentially the same device at www.gsm-auto.com. I had one for years on my hangar at CJR. The only tricky part was that there's no cell coverage inside the metal hangar with the door closed. I had to poke a remote antenna out the eaves to get it to work.

If you are a Ham, you should be able to turn it on and off via radio transmissions. Hams use a similar system to remotely reboot their repeaters. For an airplane heater, you may need a beefed up relay but otherwise the same system.

Several guys at our airport use their cell phones to turn on preheaters.

I built a Ramsey Kit cell phone device to decode the TELCO touch tones. This box drove high power 110 VAC relays for engine heater, cabin heater, hangar lights, etc. The trick was to find a cell phone with a headset jack (NOT Bluetooth) to connect the audio to the "box" and that would "auto answer". The cell phone is "float-charged" by a clock timer so the battery stays up. The only on-going expense is a "pay as you go" cell phone SIM chip. I have had it for many years and recently upgraded to a "hot-spot" thus allowing WIFI connectivity to WEMO switches accomplishing the tasks I mentioned above. More expensive than the cell phone but allows me to monitor WIFI connected web cams for inside the hangar and outside (to see how much snow I will have to shovel!!).

http://www.waferstar.com/en/GSM-AUTO-4G.html I bought one of these last year and its been great! I got a cheep $5 a month cell sim for it and its perfect. It comes with a 3m antenna so you can run it out the door. It was a little clunky to get programed but in the end its been solid!

Back