Thanksgiving Plans

We'll have nearly the whole extended family at our place this year. So it's the usual turkey, dressing (double batch because who doesn't like eating way too much of that?), gravy, potatoes, other veggies, vodka, gin, bourbon, wine, more wine, and pie.

Mary and I picked up the fresh turkey today at the butcher shop. We are having Mary’s sister-in-law and one of her daughters join us here at the beach.

turkey , twice baked potatoes , string bean casserole, (Rudy’s Texas) cream corn, coleslaw, Mary’s cranberry sauce mix ( most excellent) stuffing with sausage mix and plenty of pies.

help cook, eat, football, a good day.

Gary, I'm not sure if you're familiar with what happens when you mention 'cole slaw' around here, but don't be surprised if your doorbell starts ringing aaaaaany second now........

I have to ask, where did the turkey come from? I used to live in the DelMarVa area where I think you currently reside. For 20+ years it became a family tradition to buy our turkey from a farm in Thurmont.

I think it came from a Pennsylvania farm. I’ll have read the slip attached to the receipt.

FIL coming over for a simple lunch. Nothing big.

Scuba on Saturday in the quarry, flying to lunch on Sunday.

My husband and I are alone every Thanksgiving, which is just fine with us. A couple of years ago, we tried out the Thanksgiving buffet at the local Best Western Plus, and it was excellent!! They canceled last year because of Covid, but it's back on again this year, so we're going there.

My husband and I are alone every Thanksgiving, which is just fine with us. A couple of years ago, we tried out the Thanksgiving buffet at the local Best Western Plus, and it was excellent!! They canceled last year because of Covid, but it's back on again this year, so we're going there.

Judy

It's just Mary and I here in Ocean City. Before we retired we hosted family almost every Thanksgiving at our home in North Wilmington, DE. Since we retired to the beach seven years ago it's been quiet. Our brothers and sisters all have grandkids so they do their family thing, and we totally get that. Mary's brother passed during covid, but not covid related. It will be nice to have his wife and one of their two daughters here with us this year. The other daughter and her partner along with their two boys will be flying back from Texas so there will be plenty of leftovers sent home for them to enjoy.

As long as my bride is happy, I'm happy. After all we have been through we are both thankful to be here and be able to share the holidays.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Over the hill and through the sage brush,
To the Grandkids house we go,
The car knows the way,
To carry the Geezers,
Through the brown and dusty desert.

yeah, desert don't rhyme, help me out here. Whole lot better than last year. Daughter came over with dinner, knocked and set it down outside. We air hugged through the window then she split. We opened the door and got it. Didn't eat much and it tasted funny. We had you know what.

Flying to my father in laws place in northwest Illinois for the weekend. We will have a second turkey dinner on the weekend.

I bought 6 lobster tails and 2 T-bones this morning. Mark will grill them for thanksgiving. That’s it. No sides except butter and lemon wedges. Not going anywhere. Just the two of us. Gone are the days I cooked a turkey dinner for 14 family members.

I have read the first thanksgiving had lobster.

We are hosting the in-laws (5 of them!) for the week which feels very grown-up! My wife and I don't really cook so we have stone crab claws and caviar tonight, a full Thanksgiving meal prepared and delivered courtesy of the Four Seasons tomorrow and we are going out for dinner on Friday and Saturday nights. Sunday, I'm flying!

Mrs K burnt one of her pecan pies this morning, and it is stuck in the pan, so I was given a green light to eat it out of the pan with a fork :D

In other news my stomach hurts for some reason.

My parents are hosting this year. In my family we go big. The main feature on our table will be the 24 lb roast turkey. Feels quite small, actually. One year, our largest homegrown turkey dressed out at 48 lbs.
And then pie. Pumpkin, dutch apple, coconut cream, lemon meringue, banana cream, pecan...I love pie.

And now, so have I.
Here’s how Edward Winslow described the first Thanksgiving feast in a letter to a friend:

“Our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling, that so we might after a special manner rejoice together after we had gathered the fruits of our labor. They four in one day killed as much fowl as, with a little help beside, served the company almost a week. At which time, amongst other recreations, we exercised our arms, many of the Indians coming amongst us, and among the rest their greatest king Massasoit, with some ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five deer, which we brought to the plantation and bestowed on our governor, and upon the captain and others. And although it be not always so plentiful as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so far from want that we often wish you partakers of our plenty.”

What They (Likely) Did Have at the First Thanksgiving
  • Venison
  • Fowl (geese and duck)
  • Corn
  • Nuts (walnuts, chestnuts, beechnuts)
  • Shellfish

On the first thanksgiving after moving here in Gallup, I asked a native American friend if they celebrated Thanksgiving.

He said, ''we did... once....''

Drove to Austin to do this holiday with the SO’s family. Doing a Christmas Light Show in Johnson City Friday and then driving back to AR.

Couldn’t fly as the 172 is engineless again....

Small gathering at my place this year. Dad, my wife, and her daughters. Lost my mom a little over a month ago (cancer sucks). Holidays will be a mix of celebration and sadness this year.

We decided to go a different route. Prime rib, mashed potatoes, gravy, a couple veggies, corn casserole, and pumpkin pie. Also copious amounts of adult beverages.

I made this for brunch this morning. It was fantastic. We now have a new Thanksgiving tradition.

Three meat hash - Copy.jpg

That looks outstanding. I’ve seen several of his videos before, he doesn’t disappoint.

I flew my Hatz today after replacing the tailwheel spring. I never heard 122.8 so quiet! Kids are coming tomorrow so turkey on Saturday leaving me free today.

I flew my Hatz today after replacing the tailwheel spring. I never heard 122.8 so quiet! Kids are coming tomorrow so turkey on Saturday leaving me free today.
Yeah I was surprised how quiet it was today, even the local C was dead.

I made this for brunch this morning. It was fantastic. We now have a new Thanksgiving tradition.

Just don't tell your doctor you've been eating stuff like that. I think I've seen just about all of Kent Rollins' videos--it's fair to say, I think, that he doesn't make anything that isn't fantastic, tasty, and probably even inexpensive. But lo-cal and lo-fat? Not so much. I especially like his vids that feature Dutch oven cooking.

Tim

Just don't tell your doctor you've been eating stuff like that. I think I've seen just about all of Kent Rollins' videos--it's fair to say, I think, that he doesn't make anything that isn't fantastic, tasty, and probably even inexpensive. But lo-cal and lo-fat? Not so much. I especially like his vids that feature Dutch oven cooking.

Tim

I made his cowboy coffee. I had always been taught NEVER boil coffee, and never pregrind, and to drink it within twenty minutes of brewing and never reheat it, and here he’s boiling preground coffee to death, and telling you you can put it in the fridge and reheat it later. It was actually not bad, and I did put it in a mason jar and reheat it the next day.

Enjoying our mountain home for the week, just the better half and myself.

Attachments

• 9FC5AAE7-D90B-4440-9040-FA034AB96DFA.jpeg
    9FC5AAE7-D90B-4440-9040-FA034AB96DFA.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 16
Flew my LSA in IMC after dark with two small, crying children as PAX stuffed into the right seat. By most people's standards I was drunk AF, but I mitigated risk by taking off with 5 gallons in the tank. Knowing my flight time was limited (I set an alarm on my phone), I was keen to land and get the plane back in the hangar before barfing and blacking out. BTW, never knew until tonight my home 'drome had a grass runway. It's rough as a cob, though.

I made his cowboy coffee. I had always been taught NEVER boil coffee, and never pregrind, and to drink it within twenty minutes of brewing and never reheat it, and here he’s boiling preground coffee to death, and telling you you can put it in the fridge and reheat it later. It was actually not bad, and I did put it in a mason jar and reheat it the next day.

I think the classic cowboy coffee recipe was "boil it until you can float a horseshoe on it."

We had our fajitas for lunch. Filippina style.....

Don't ask, just hold your nose and eat....but the pineapple pie was fantastic.!!

Oh, and if my wife asks...... it is pronounced FA ge tah....

Enjoying our mountain home for the week, just the better half and myself.

Very nice. Reminds me of our mountain home. I miss it, especially in the summers. And fall.

Back