Letter of Discontinuance is still valid but my IACRA will expire?

Trogdor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Trogdor
I am in quite a pickle:

I have gotten a LoD due to a mechanical issue on the day of my checkride. The catch is my IACRA is about to expire at the end of this month (November).

So, does my LoD also expire? i.e. I have for instance passed the oral. Do I start from ground zero again come December 1st?

I ask because a different examiner mentioned that once I start a new application with IACRA the credit that was on the LoD disappears despite still being valid for 60 days.

This sucks.

Not sure what you're asking. IACRA is an FAA platform for certification/rating applications. Your IACRA per se doesn't expire. After a discontinued checkride, you have 60 days to finish as you know. A new IACRA application is not required in that 60 days period. After 60 days you have to start all over again with a new application signed by an instructor and take a complete new practical test (and DPE fee) oral and flight portions.

To expand on what has already been written, IACRA is an electronic means to complete an 8710 form. The 8710 you have already completed will be good for finishing the practical test you already started.

Not sure what you're asking. IACRA is an FAA platform for certification/rating applications. Your IACRA per se doesn't expire. After a discontinued checkride, you have 60 days to finish as you know. A new IACRA application is not required in that 60 days period. After 60 days you have to start all over again with a new application signed by an instructor and take a complete new practical test (and DPE fee) oral and flight portions.

+ complete the 3 hour test preparation.

Hi, DPE here. The Letter of Discontinuance gives you credit for the areas completed until a specific date, 60 days. It says, and 61.43(f) requires, that If application is made by that date the letter may be used to show completion of those areas. If you need to make a new application due to the 2 calendar months expiring, the LoD is still valid. It might not be attached to the new application in IACRA but that doesn't invalidate it. In fact the DPE has the ability to attach the LoD manually in IACRA. Or you could do it on paper if IACRA doesn't support the activity to the DPE's satisfaction.

Can we have an "Experts Panel" (similar to the Management Council) or "Ask An Expert" sub-forum where only people with verified credentials can answer? @tonycondon 's answer is the most helpful, not because the other answers were incorrect, but because he is authoritative on the subject. It would be awesome to have a way to ask those people without getting a bunch of SGFTI answers.

Can we have an "Experts Panel" (similar to the Management Council) or "Ask An Expert" sub-forum where only people with verified credentials can answer? @tonycondon 's answer is the most helpful, not because the other answers were incorrect, but because he is authoritative on the subject. It would be awesome to have a way to ask those people without getting a bunch of SGFTI answers.
Sounds great but then there wouldn’t be any content

Thanks guys! I think I have it figured out.

So none of the flight instructors who have responded in this thread are knowledgeable because they aren’t a DPE?

And who will validate these experts are really experts or at least a little knowledgeable? What criteria do you propose for each area of expertise? And what areas of expertise should we have? Flight instruction? Maintenance? Medical? Regulatory? Aircraft types? ????

I will agree that quite frequently on here there will be very inexperienced people weighing in where more expertise is called for and tossing out incorrect or misleading information. But that is the Internet. And even experts whether self-proclaimed or anointed can be wrong.

Back