Downgrading from PPL training to Sport Pilot

Jenn

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jmo
Hi all, I just signed up to start PPL training with a flight school; literally setting up my first lesson next week! :)

But yesterday, I was looking into the alcohol policy and unexpectedly discovered that my ADHD diagnosis disqualifies me from getting the FAA medical certificate. I absolutely need my medication for my day job, so trying to get around my diagnosis by going through the extra tests isn't an option and I've accepted that I can never get a PPL.

Since I haven't applied for the med certificate like most posts I've found have, I know that sport pilot is an option. But I'm worried about how it would come off to my flight school to suddenly go back on becoming a private pilot, especially when they don't have any LSAs. I'm thinking of bringing it up as: I want to switch to getting a sport license instead and asking if I go through all the same training *excluding the solo flights*. To finish getting the sport license/taking solo flights I'd need to look outside the school, but since I've already paid for books and signed all the paperwork for this school, I figure it's easier to stick with them until I need to get solo flights in.

Does that seem appropriate? Has anyone been through a similar situation? And is it better to disclose the reason for switching is that I don't think I'll pass the med certificate?

Also note that the school does random drug tests of their own, which on researching, seems like it would test for my ADHD medication as well.

Disclaimer: I plan to check in with my psychiatrist to ask whether they'd deem me safe to fly given my ADHD. Personally, I don't think it's an issue and, if anything, is a benefit (e.g. on my discovery flight, my CFI commented several times on how fast I was learning), but am aware it's better to confirm with my doctor anyway.

Not sure what kind of "paperwork" this school made you sign -- hopefully nothing binding -- and I've never heard of a school that does random drug tests. Sounds like a "pre-professionals only" kind of place?
Stay with them only if there's a good reason to (you really like their airplanes, or really like your instructor). If you do this, tell your CFI your plans, so he or she can know what to expect.
Otherwise, just tell them you are going to switch, and switch. You can tell them why if you want, but you do not owe them an explanation as to why. Keep the books.

It is unfortunate that if you ask the question at OKC and are denied—going through the 3rd class process to qualify for the SIs, then being denied—you are prohibited from getting a Sport license. Lie to fly, as they say. Your shrink’s word isn’t going to carry much weight. Search “special issuance” or SI here for horror stories for common drugs. It frequently takes thousands of dollars & years to get through.

Otoh, even flying on a DL, you are required to self-check your meds against prohibited substances. 8 hrs bottle to throttle. 18 hrs from sniffle to throttle with Benadryl. Of course, drug names and all those generic chemicals are confusing for lay people. Making a mistake is not the same as intentionally ignoring regulations.

Lying can be expensive, however. A lot of pilots got away with lying on their 3rd class about past convictions for DUI for a long time…until the FAA started to routinely check state driving records. Computers made it impossible to hide arrests. Fines topped out at $150k.

Otoh, unless you’re taking a highly regulated schedule I drug, computerized records are spotty & difficult for the FAA check.

I’d tell your flight school you can’t pass the 3rd class & want out of your contract.

Hi all, I just signed up to start PPL training with a flight school; literally setting up my first lesson next week! :)

But yesterday, I was looking into the alcohol policy and unexpectedly discovered that my ADHD diagnosis disqualifies me from getting the FAA medical certificate. I absolutely need my medication for my day job, so trying to get around my diagnosis by going through the extra tests isn't an option and I've accepted that I can never get a PPL.

Since I haven't applied for the med certificate like most posts I've found have, I know that sport pilot is an option. But I'm worried about how it would come off to my flight school to suddenly go back on becoming a private pilot, especially when they don't have any LSAs. I'm thinking of bringing it up as: I want to switch to getting a sport license instead and asking if I go through all the same training *excluding the solo flights*. To finish getting the sport license/taking solo flights I'd need to look outside the school, but since I've already paid for books and signed all the paperwork for this school, I figure it's easier to stick with them until I need to get solo flights in.

Does that seem appropriate? Has anyone been through a similar situation? And is it better to disclose the reason for switching is that I don't think I'll pass the med certificate?

Also note that the school does random drug tests of their own, which on researching, seems like it would test for my ADHD medication as well.

Disclaimer: I plan to check in with my psychiatrist to ask whether they'd deem me safe to fly given my ADHD. Personally, I don't think it's an issue and, if anything, is a benefit (e.g. on my discovery flight, my CFI commented several times on how fast I was learning), but am aware it's better to confirm with my doctor anyway.
Do you hold a driver's license? (It's a requirement for sport pilots.)

If you haven't even had your first lesson yet, don't waste time, just find a school with LSAs. Forget the books, they're a small part of what it's gonna cost you.

For that matter, it sounds like, as Kath said, it's a professional pilot school? If your interest in flying is satisfied by SP, the pro school probably isn't the best fit anyway.

Thanks for all the responses! From how I'm understanding, I owe them no explanation and I'm probably best off finding another flight school with LSAs anyway.

@rhkennerly Yeah, I'm happy I found this out now as opposed to after applying for the med certificate. I definitely have no intention of lying, hence my acceptance to just go for sport pilot (although I really was excited to get a PPL...)

Do you hold a driver's license? (It's a requirement for sport pilots.)

Yup.

I agree. I can't imagine a school not refunding based on that....

Lucky for me, there was no binding contract to stay in their program. I was going to pay as I went along and I've only paid for books/equipment and insurance so far.

Sounds like a "pre-professionals only" kind of place?
For that matter, it sounds like, as Kath said, it's a professional pilot school? If your interest in flying is satisfied by SP, the pro school probably isn't the best fit anyway.

FWIW, I don't have context to what non-professionnel pilot school looks like (all the ones near me seem to have the same atmosphere as my current one), but if I had to guess it is one. I don't think I'll be able to avoid a professional pilot school, again based on looking at other options in my area.

Somewhat off topic, but is there some database to find flight schools based on their aircraft? I'm doubting it, but it'd make it easier than calling each one of them!

What city/town/part-of-the-country are you in?
Odds are good that someone on here knows about the local schools, or local independent CFI's. (Nothing says that a "school" is the only way to train.)

Understand - it won't be your psychiatrist who makes the decision, it will be an FAA psychiatrist and then only after extensive/very expensive testing.

If you're good with sport, just go that route. After a few years, when you have a good grip on aviation, you'll know enough to understand what good advice this is. It sounds like maybe you already do.

As far as your school goes, if you haven't paid them any money, then you're just one more tire kicker who looked and decided not to. If they don't want to train you, it's not a loss, just find an independent CFI who will.

Like Kath said, if you will let us know where you are, someone here may be able to help out with a school/CFI.

I would just tell the school where you signed up that you changed your mind and would prefer Sport Pilot. Lots and lots of people change there minds, many just decide flying isn't for them and quit. As excited as it seems you are, you need to find a way into the air! Good luck, Jenn!

I don't have context to what non-professionnel pilot school looks like (all the ones near me seem to have the same atmosphere as my current one), but if I had to guess it is one. I don't think I'll be able to avoid a professional pilot school, again based on looking at other options in my area.

Well, you have the schools that focus on training future airline pilots, you can get your PP there but to them it's just a stepping stone, they'll emphasize things important to future airline pilots rather than things important to somebody who wants to fly small airplanes for fun. There are the expensive flight schools with a fleet of brand new Cirruses (Cirri?). You have average flight schools with an assortment of older Cessnas or Pipers, maybe with one or two LSA, maybe not. There's the modern LSA-only outfit with newer aircraft (rare). And the independent CFI with a beat up old Cub or Champ or ultralight-like LSA, who you have to find by word of mouth. Depending on your flying goals and temperment, any one of them might be your best fit.

There are some schools (First Landings in Florida is one) that will do an accelerated program. You could take two or three weeks, travel to a school, and knock out the Sport ticket.

Think some about how you’ll fly after you get the license. Are there LSAs for rent near you? A club with an LSA? Do you intend to buy a plane?

Give us some more details, especially your location, and we might be able to advise you.

There isn’t much difference between Private and Sport training anyway so your books will still work.

When I first learned about Sport Pilot and LSAs, I recall finding a site that purported to list Sport Pilot schools around the country. Of course, my Googling today can't find it, but you might want to try. Also check out sportpilottalk.com, a forum focused on exactly that (with a number of members from this forum as well).

What part of the country are you in?

Back