End of home cooked meals

A certain group of individuals will always find a way to interject their ideologies into otherwise unrelated discussions. Never fails…
It says "Adminstrator" under your name. You can do something about it.

Some things lend themselves to one or two servings with little effort. Stir fry comes to mind.
Grilled meat and vegetables are another.

Last night I made Shrimp Scampi, it's not hard and it's really tasty. Tonight I made coconut curry. That one's a bit more work, but I can get it on the table in an hour, without hurrying. If you make the curry, I double the onions, garlic, and ginger, and use the whole (teeny) bottle of curry paste. Since I'm off of work all week, I'm cooking Monday, Tuesday, and Friday. My younger daughter is cooking Wednesday, and Mrs. FH and I will both pitch in on Thursday. She also directs the cleanup on Thanksgiving, which is more work than making the meal.

The other cooking rule we have is that whomever cooks also cleans up the kitchen. That serves two purposes, it gives the one who's not cooking the evening to do whatever, and it keeps resentment to a minimum, you clean up your own mess. Let's say I'd like to make Chicken Parmesan, which is one of my favorites. It does create a mess, you saute it first and then bake it. If Mrs. FH had to clean up my mess, I'd never make this, I wouldn't want to stick her with that much of a mess.

I’ve found our home cooking has narrowed. There are thing we can do better than restaurants for some nominal effort and a great cost savings, such as a sous vide ribeye. At the other end, the out of the box is pretty good (pizza), or it’s totally worth the money to pay the restaurant to deal with the work and specialty ingredients (sushi).

And then a little nonsense, like homemade sour dough (at risk of Sac grabbing it from my oven through an internet wormhole) or beer. 4753FC0B-C4F4-47FB-B737-AA087D47E77A.jpeg

I think there's not much lift to make things better at home nearly across the board. I'm not a sushi fan anymore, so can't speak to that. Steaks are a great example. But so is pretty much anything Italian. Homemade sauce and fresh ingredients give you a better a result than any low end or chain place, and cost is always a lot lower than the rest. The steepest learning curve for me was Thai, but youtube, amazon, and the local asian market have made that reachable. Now the time involved can be higher, that's for sure, but on the other hand the consistency is so much greater at home than with most dining choices.

I’ve found our home cooking has narrowed. There are thing we can do better than restaurants for some nominal effort and a great cost savings, such as a sous vide ribeye. At the other end, the out of the box is pretty good (pizza), or it’s totally worth the money to pay the restaurant to deal with the work and specialty ingredients (sushi).

And then a little nonsense, like homemade sour dough (at risk of Sac grabbing it from my oven through an internet wormhole) or beer. View attachment 102087

You're fairly safe on that one. The ribeye on the other hand...

Back