New York CITY!

@Martin Pauly flew his A36 into JFK. I'd say go there instead of HPN or FRG, if you are confident on the radios.
For convenience, I’d recommend Teterboro over JFK. Either one is going to be more expensive then the other popular options a bit further from the city, though.

- Martin

For convenience, I’d recommend Teterboro over JFK. Either one is going to be more expensive then the other popular options a bit further from the city, though.

I've flown into Teterboro in small planes a couple of times and had no complaints.

MillionAir in HPN is both the nicest FBO for small GA, and the least expensive at the field.

Where I come from, those Pace Picante sauce ads ended with: "Somebody get a rope!"

Those must be the kinder, gentler versions...

I just flew into Newark. It was painless. 11/29 is away from the heavy’s, although they had me depart on 22R.

Well, we decided to punt on this trip until next spring sometime. 30mph winds and 20 degree wind chills this weekend didn't sound like fun for cruising the streets of NYC. A few years ago when we still lived in Iowa, we could handle it, but being back south of the Mason-Dixon for the past 10 years, our blood has gotten thinner and we can't take that kind of wx like before.

since this thread is two years old, I wanted to ask how the trip went….but I’m betting you didn’t make it, huh?

since this thread is two years old, I wanted to ask how the trip went….but I’m betting you didn’t make it, huh?

This is funny - I saw this thread come back up last week and had a fun stroll down memory lane. I had actually forgotten about most of it.

No, we never did make the trip up there. It's still on our to-do list, but quite a bit lower on the list than it used to be. Might be a while before it creeps back up, too.

I just flew into Newark. It was painless. 11/29 is away from the heavy’s, although they had me depart on 22R.
Why EWR rather than LDJ (Linden) or some of the other airports mentioned in this thread? I recall the port authority landing fees for EWR were similar to JFK and not cheap.

- Martin

The thing about TEB is it seems to mirror VNY. Have you experienced a significant delay getting IFR release there while a conga line of business jets gets their turn?

Where I come from, those Pace Picante sauce ads ended with: "Somebody get a rope!"

Those must be the kinder, gentler versions...

Those commercials were a key part of my formative years.

I'm assuming it wasn't in the Airbus :p.

Why EWR rather than LDJ (Linden) or some of the other airports mentioned in this thread? I recall the port authority landing fees for EWR were similar to JFK and not cheap.

Pretty sure JFK only has a landing fee during certain hours that are relatively easy to schedule around. Not sure if EWR is similar.

It's rare I don't just take the subway anywhere I want to go in NYC. More often than not I leave my car in Brooklyn at my sister-in-law's house, but we've stayed in the midtown Hilton and also Mariott properties in Brooklyn.

Last time when we were trying to surprise the sister-in-law, I took one of the discount buses up from a park-n-ride near our house in Virginia. Free wifi and no worries about driving and it dumped us out in Times Square. Cheap too.

Back