Ribbon cutting with prop.

The more I think about the Tannerite, the more I like my idea. Ask your local fire department for a 100ft section of 2.5in line (firehose) that has failed pressure testing. Mix up about 120lbs of Tannerite and fill the hose tightly packed without any air gap. Suspend it supported with a cable across the door and hang lots of 'ribbons' from it. Then, rig up a rifle in a vise in a way that it is aimed at the center dependent portion of the hose. Set a trip wire that actuates the trigger when you taxi in. The rifle shot will set off the Tannerite which will instantaneously vaporize the hose, the suspending steel cable and the ribbons suspended thereof.

It'll be awesome !

Or maybe epic !

This is a really good idea.

OTOH, when it breaks at the far end instead of being sliced by the prop, so that 70' of surveyor tape gets wrapped around the prop hub and melts into plastic goo, you might wish you'd tried a different stunt. :)
There's also the risk that smaller bits of that plastic or paper ribbon enter the cowling and get into the cabin heat or carb heat air inlets and go up against the muffler or exhaust pipe and melt or burn or get sucked into the carb sometime, plugging the secondary venturi and fouling the fuel flow. Been there, seen it.

Thanks. I guess we all missed the part where the OP said there would be dozens, (neigh- hundreds!) of guests lining the hangar from that awesome bi-fold door all the way to the back of that cavernous, glorious hangar, within mere inches from his whirling avgas powered machetes. In that case, I would suggest he only invite Navy flight deck ops personnel.

Thanks. I guess we all missed the part where the OP said there would be dozens, (neigh- hundreds!) of guests lining the hangar from that awesome bi-fold door all the way to the back of that cavernous, glorious hangar, within mere inches from his whirling avgas powered machetes. In that case, I would suggest he only invite Navy flight deck ops personnel.
We also missed the part where the OP indicated how he would keep the dozens (whinny, hundreds), of non-aviation people who are on the airport for the EAA breakfast away from his whirling avgas powered machetes.

We also missed the part where the OP indicated how he would keep the dozens (whinny, hundreds), of non-aviation people who are on the airport for the EAA breakfast away from his whirling avgas powered machetes.

The horse’s carcass will continue to receive its beatings until logic improves.

The OP must have smoke on whilst the ribbon is severed from its moorings, else considered half-assed. :)

The horse’s carcass will continue to receive its beatings until logic improves.

The OP must have smoke on whilst the ribbon is severed from its moorings, else considered half-assed. :)

Lol, think of the chillllllllldrennnnnn!

what strange replies and suggestions for such a simple thing. I will try ahead of the day with crepe paper but I believe the the suction in front of the prop would tear the paper. This as at a private airport so no crowd of onlookers. for those suggesting that I may not be able to get a 33' wingspan through a 70' wide door, I can assure you that I have done it before. It was a tight fit but it can be done.
Life is a barrel of fun.

Ken, it is a little bit of a different idea, but I seriously doubt that any harm could come from doing it.

Be sure and post it on YouTube - no matter what the outcome is!

That is one heck of a 737 hanger you built. Very envious of it myself.

Paging @SkipStuart and @PattyWagstaff

Make sure to get it on video. It'll either be a bit boring, or spectacular. Hoping for the former.

Give the poor guy a minute to get here. After he taxied into that gaping maw and shut down his flying ribbon cutter he had to walk back out. By the looks of that hangar from the first pic, I figure he won’t make it back outta there on foot for at least another three days…

I once accidentally ran over a 1/4" coax cable with a snowblower. It was both hilarious and a little terrifying. Before I could react to let go of the drive levers the front end of the unit was 2 feet in the air. I think it would have been both more terrifying and funnier if it were an aircraft, but maybe I have a warped sense of humor.

Well, given how long it’s been, I’m guessing the OP was killed when the ribbon pulled the hangar down on top of him and the plane....

Back