How reliable will ATC vector you around thunderstorms?

True, but that doesn't answer my question.
From the CV of a tort lawyer that specializes in aircraft suits - it was settled. Likely has a confidentiality agreement tied to the settlement

From the CV of a tort lawyer that specializes in aircraft suits - it was settled. Likely has a confidentiality agreement tied to the settlement

There's what appears to be a broken image link in your message or signature.

This thread brings up a memory I'd rather forget. I was flying along west of Grand Junction (technically riding along in the tube) in a venerable Grumman product socked in at FL220. I could not see the horizontal stabilizer 6 feet out of my window. The weather had progressed much quicker than forecast. I know right? The controller said he saw some heavy precipitation 30 miles ahead of us and then suggested that we use our onboard equipment to deviate around it because our gadget was better than his gadget. My RADAR was designed to "see" through weather and, therefore, could not see said weather, I explained to him. He then proceeded to vector us into the worse of the system. $1.8M later...

How can you be instrument rated and not clearly understand the answer to your own question?

How did you even get your rating without knowing the answer to something so basic? If you don't know this, I would seriously question the competency of your CFII.

I am not trying to bash you, but your training let you down in a very big way. I would wonder what else you weren't taught.

No, it's not rhetorical. The case was Kracke/Fox/Shearer v United States of America. I can't find the results.

PACER is your friend. Southern District of Indiana, IIRC.

This may seem like a silly question, i am IR rated and current, but not much IR time.
When on an IFR flight, will ATC vector you around severe weather?
Or will they vector to "thread the needle"?

What if there is a 100 mile wide band? Do they advise you to turnaround/land?
ATC typically points out if they see precipitation in your flight path. Sometimes they even offer suggestions round weather.

But: The pilot is responsible for knowing where the bad weather is, and for avoiding it. It is no ATC's job to do that. Do not wait for ATC to tell you about bad weather before coming up with an avoidance plan. Do not blindly trust ATC when they tell you where you should fly or where you shouldn't fly because of weather. I've had very good weather info from ATC, and I've also been vectored straight into a CB with an assurance that only light precipitation was showing on the scope (prompting an "unable").

ATC can be a great help when figuring all that out. For example, they may be able to tell you how the ride was for another aircraft a few minutes ahead of you on the same route. Just don't expect ATC to make decisions for you, and don't blindly assume their information is always accurate.

- Martin

A guy I taught to fly helicopters died while flying his King Air after listening to the weather advice of ATC. Draw your own conclusions...

From the NTSB report:

"The pilot's failure to avoid severe weather, and the air traffic controller's failure to provide adverse weather avoidance assistance, as required by Federal Aviation Administration directives, both of which led to the airplane's encounter with a severe thunderstorm and the subsequent loss of control and inflight breakup of the airplane."

A guy I taught to fly helicopters died while flying his King Air after listening to the weather advice of ATC. Draw your own conclusions...

From the NTSB report:

"The pilot's failure to avoid severe weather, and the air traffic controller's failure to provide adverse weather avoidance assistance, as required by Federal Aviation Administration directives, both of which led to the airplane's encounter with a severe thunderstorm and the subsequent loss of control and inflight breakup of the airplane."

Callsign?

Absolutely, a guy I admired as a by the rules pilot, flew into a t-storm resulting in an in air break up resulting in his and his wife's death. ATC was essentially begging him not to continue before the crash. This was before on board weather.

I knew a guy who said he was "never going to die in a plane crash". He'd tell ya: "Not gonna happen to me." Did the exact same thing.

Back