Best electrical connectors for an in-cabin PTT disconnect?

schmookeeg

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Mike Brannigan
Hello,

My Baron, like most Bonanzas, has both single and a dual throwover style yokes. I prefer the single, but sometimes need the dual.

I wish to have some sort of receptacle in the panel where I can plug the copilot side yoke PTT switch, but have it be a non-nuisance when cruising around with the single yoke. Currently this cord is a rather heavy-weight coiled thing.

I'm not seeing many suitable connectors for this in my usual spaces.

I was thinking about mis-using a BNC style connector (or a mini TNC style) for this very simple DC connection.

Is there something else more suitable? Reliably staying connected, yet remaining small are the priorities for me. I'd prefer not to do the job again in future, so would like to use durable connectors instead of plastic nonsense. The job may outlast me. :D

Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,

- Mike

Is there something else more suitable?
Use an MS style cannon plug. Have used same for other removable flt controls that have various function switches which I copied from how helicopter dual controls are set up. Place a bulkhead receptacle on panel which can accept either a cap or other plug if your intercom circuit requires a jumper.

The MS style plugs previously mentioned would be one good way, or AMP CPC connectors. Both have bulkhead type connectors available that you could panel mount. I've seen both used for this type application before.

I always favor a positive-locking Cannon plug. Install with a switch, as well, to select between (1) the intermittently-present right yoke PTT switch, (2) the PTT on the single yoke when it’s flipped to the copilot position, or (3) a separate, panel-mount PTT switch, for when there’s no yoke in front of the copilot.

I always favor a positive-locking Cannon plug. Install with a switch, as well, to select between (1) the intermittently-present right yoke PTT switch, (2) the PTT on the single yoke when it’s flipped to the copilot position, or (3) a separate, panel-mount PTT switch, for when there’s no yoke in front of the copilot.

Hmmm? Other than item 3 (which is a good idea, my Vtail had that), I'm not understanding why I'd not want the PTTs on both yokes in an "OR" configuration -- since the only time I've got that sucker installed is some sort of training event, and I want either of us to be able to key up?

I may misunderstand. :)

Thx others for the suggestions. Cannon plugs seemed like overkill for this app, but I'll see if I can find a small one. I dunno how to make a molex look decent :D Will go look again at CPCs, I skimmed past them without understanding their real dimensions, possibly the image I saw was ... zoomed in a bit.

Cannon plugs are definitely the way to go. 1st pic shows my dual yoke with the cannon plug just barely visible under the flap indicator. 2nd pic shows the cannon plug in more detail on my single yoke.

IMG_20191229_165443.jpg 20200515_172929.jpg

DB9 connector works well, too. And is pretty easy to assemble.

Back