End of home cooked meals

@judypilot what are some meals you make that have been tasty and yet work with weight loss?

Like Sac Arrow said: low carb, meaning lots of non-starchy veggies, some meat, some fats. I have to stay below about 1500 calories consistently to lose weight, but YMMV, as I'm an older (but fairly active) woman. I don't have time to list all the meals we make that are consistent with losing weight. Just lots of veggies, protein, and some fats. Don't overdo on the protein (shouldn't be more than ~30% of your calories). I eat a lot of salads when we go out.

One of the best investments we ever made was an air fryer. I never used to be much of a vegetable eater, but throw a little minced garlic and olive oil on some mushrooms, broccoli, bacon wrapped asparagus, or cauliflower, cook for about 10 minutes or so, and you a you’ll have some of the best vegetables you’ve ever tasted. Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. SO and me are on the Keto/Paleo/Carnivore diet. Basically everything we eat centers around a meat dish of some sort with a variety of veggies on the side.

You accidentally replied to a post from 1954.
I like 1954.
Lots of little GA airports, lots of them grass.
Lots of T-craft, 140s and 120s, Ercoupes, Luscombes, Aeroncas, Pipers with their wings in the correct place, L-10s, DC-3s and -6s in revenue passenger service...

Like Sac Arrow said: low carb, meaning lots of non-starchy veggies, some meat, some fats. I have to stay below about 1500 calories consistently to lose weight, but YMMV, as I'm an older (but fairly active) woman. I don't have time to list all the meals we make that are consistent with losing weight. Just lots of veggies, protein, and some fats. Don't overdo on the protein (shouldn't be more than ~30% of your calories). I eat a lot of salads when we go out.

Agreed! As annoying as it may sound, you can sub a lot of things to try and fill the roll of carbs in a dish. I like to use riced cauliflower, sauteed with a bit of oil and spices instead of rice when I cook indian. I've found that "zoodles" can do a decent job when paired with a good sauce for a substitute pasta. There is also lentil or other non-wheat based pastas for a higher protein, lower carb alternative to pasta. Also roasting any and all veggies with just a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper + favorite herb blend (my go to is garlic powder, thyme, paprika but there are many possibilities) is amazing. If you haven't had roasted brussels sprouts you are missing out. Roast at 400-425 for 20-30 min until really crispy. Delicious. Sometimes i'll roast a pound of those and some onions and just call that my dinner.

I like 1954.
Lots of little GA airports, lots of them grass.
Lots of T-craft, 140s and 120s, Ercoupes, Luscombes, Aeroncas, Pipers with their wings in the correct place, L-10s, DC-3s and -6s in revenue passenger service...

Yeah I'll take 2021 thanks. In 1954 I would've been thrown in jail at best, killed at worst, for simply existing and living my life.

Agreed! As annoying as it may sound, you can sub a lot of things to try and fill the roll of carbs in a dish. I like to use riced cauliflower, sauteed with a bit of oil and spices instead of rice when I cook indian. I've found that "zoodles" can do a decent job when paired with a good sauce for a substitute pasta. There is also lentil or other non-wheat based pastas for a higher protein, lower carb alternative to pasta. Also roasting any and all veggies with just a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper + favorite herb blend (my go to is garlic powder, thyme, paprika but there are many possibilities) is amazing.

Yeah I'll take 2021 thanks. In 1954 I would've been thrown in jail at best, killed at worst, for simply existing and living my life.
Doubtful, but I’m glad it makes you feel better to think it.

Doubtful, but I’m glad it makes you feel better to think it.
I have absolutely no idea what you find doubtful in that post. And it goes along with the theme of the thread. And nobody likes red meat and potatoes more than I do, but I also love roasted veges of all kinds. And I eat a lot of salads.

I have absolutely no idea what you find doubtful in that post. And it goes along with the theme of the thread. And nobody likes red meat and potatoes more than I do, but I also love roasted veges of all kinds. And I eat a lot of salads.
In 1954 I would've been thrown in jail at best, killed at worst, for simply existing and living my life.

I guess I read the theme of the thread differently. Lol

What was the purpose of yours?
a) To share some diet oriented food ideas that I have found helpful in my dieting journey
b) To remind some elements of this board that pine for the "good old days" that those good old days weren't/wouldn't have been so good for many many people (including myself). I'm not going to apologize for trying to fight back against white washing the past. Ban me if you like if that is considered against the TOS.

Mama Steingar couldn't cook at all, I have apocryphal stories. I am largely self-taught. Paradoxically, I've not been cooking much since taking up an evening class. Doesn't leave a lot of room for culinary activities. Mrs. Steingar has taken uptake slack quite nicely. Didn't stop me from making a scrumptious Chicago style deep dish pizza last night.

I guess I read the theme of the thread differently. Lol
Oh. The part you seem to have been referring to was cut off in your quote. I was a little curious about that "jail" statement too, but although not pertinent to the thread, and if I extrapolate it correctly, it was a valid point that often gets overlooked these days. Things really are getting better in some aspects of society. It is just that the media refuses to acknowledge it.

Oh. The part you seem to have been referring to was cut off in your quote. I was a little curious about that "jail" statement too, but although not pertinent to the thread, and if I extrapolate it correctly, it was a valid point that often gets overlooked these days. Things really are getting better in some aspects of society. It is just that the media refuses to acknowledge it.

In a similar manner, things really aren't better in some aspects of society.

Back in the day, children could walk/bike everywhere... not so much anymore.

Back in the day, you could leave the doors unlocked...not so much anymore.

we don't have to dive into forbidden topics to identify things that are worse now than in 1954.

I wouldn't want to give up medical advances, science advances (moon landing!!!), etc, but to think that 1954 wasn't better in some ways, well, that's just ignores reality.

In a similar manner, things really aren't better in some aspects of society.

Back in the day, children could walk/bike everywhere... not so much anymore.

Back in the day, you could leave the doors unlocked...not so much anymore.

we don't have to dive into forbidden topics to identify things that are worse now than in 1954.

I wouldn't want to give up medical advances, science advances (moon landing!!!), etc, but to think that 1954 wasn't better in some ways, well, that's just ignores reality.

Crime is down. Significantly in many types. What's up is the reporting of them. Back in the 50's if a kid was taken/harmed you'd have to be in the family or the neighborhood to know about it. Now it's on multiple 24x7 news channels even if it's on the other side of the country.

Automobile fatalities are down, even with more cars driving more miles. Again, now we have dashcam footage, cell phone pics/video, and more showing us the accidents we used to not know about.

not all crime is down... but if it makes you feel better....
I only lock the house up if I'm going on a trip. Leave the keys in the truck all the time. Nothing is perfect but I like were I live...:)

Every generation thinks things were better when they were kids. (Things almost always seem better when you're a kid.)

Personally, the drug that saved my life was developed in the 1990's, so no way would I go back. In the 50's, my life would've been much worse. I'd probably think of cooking as a forced chore (if I weren't locked up for "hysteria"). Instead, I find it a joy, and a way to relax after a hard day at the office.

Yesterday: apple pie and tom kha gai.
Day before that: curry and sourdough English muffins

a) To share some diet oriented food ideas that I have found helpful in my dieting journey
b) To remind some elements of this board that pine for the "good old days" that those good old days weren't/wouldn't have been so good for many many people (including myself). I'm not going to apologize for trying to fight back against white washing the past. Ban me if you like if that is considered against the TOS.

All depends on who you were. God help you if you were a gay college professor and somebody found out about it. You would be investigated for being a suspected “communist” (don’t ask me why gay=communist back then, even now there are plenty of conservative and libertarian gays). You would lose your job, be blacklisted and lucky if that was the worst that happened.

Despite the witch hunts, there was far, far less mass surveillance and far more privacy for the average person. If you were middle class, you could support a large family on a single income. Try doing that today. The public schools were good, jobs were plentiful and the future was bright. It was a great time to be a kid. You played outside in the sunshine instead of video games indoors. People were much healthier, far less obesity.

But it’s true that perception of accidents and crime are skewed by changes in media reporting. It’s easy to say I ran all around town on my bike with no helmet and I survived, but the ones who didn’t aren’t here to tell the tale. There was also polio.

So times were better in some ways and for some people, worse for others.

I'm not "white washing the past," my comment was strictly about the aircraft around and in general use in 1954. I'm not sure what you are referring to, but FWIW "new" things tend to attract non-conformists, in historical terms aviation is a relatively "new" endeavor, and a lot of the early aviators were in one way or another non-conformists. My father was in the business, and several of the people he worked with in the 60s-90s were nonconformists.

Don’t ask me why gay=communist back then.
The Nazis. They made communists wear red triangles, and gays wear pink triangles. Being morons they weren't always able to differentiate the two.
Even now there are plenty of conservative and libertarian gays.
"Log Cabin Republicans." My father worked for a gay oil company owner in the 1960s, and a gay attorney in the 70s... That's just two off the top of my head. The only way that I know this is that he wouldn't tolerate mean quips (obviously not by me) about two decent bosses. I'm sure a lot of people didn't divulge this-- which would be smart given the history-- but you notice things when you are flying their private airplane.

Last edited:
Does anyone else find that it's hard to cook for one both due to portioning and effort-reward ratio?

Also am I the only one that finds a lot of stuff just isn't very appetizing reheated?

These seem to be the biggest barriers. My wife and I both cook but we're not always both home in the evening. I'm honestly amazed how many people don't have at least some basic skills. It's not that hard to throw a roast and seasoning packet in the crock pot or sprinkle some salt&pepper on a couple of steaks and throw them on a grill.

Also for those who like this sort of thing, you can find basic smokers in the ~$200 range. I got a propane one for simplicity's sake. Kinda wish we were doing thanksgiving at home as a brined and smoked turkey beats the crap out of the typical oven roasting method. I even got a cheap meat slicer to make cold cuts which is one thing that does keep well. Also like to do whole chickens, ribs, pork shoulder, and the occasional brisket.

Am I the only one that finds a lot of stuff just isn't very appetizing reheated?
Some things do much better than others. Italian dishes like pasta dishes, and some Mexican dishes that are in mole do pretty darn well IMHO. To my mind they are actually better on the second or third day after being made. (The flavors seem to mix together.)

Cooking?...that means dishes...no thanks...
When I work I usually take along homemade stuff in one of those paper cooking containers. The foil containers work even better if you can use a conventional oven instead of a microwave. Then into the trash.

Does anyone else find that it's hard to cook for one both due to portioning and effort-reward ratio?
We often make up a big multi meal serving and then divide it up. With two of us it's pretty easy to have two or three main courses so you don't have to eat green chilli chicken enchiladas morning, night, and noon for two days.

not all crime is down... but if it makes you feel better....

I only lock the house up if I'm going on a trip. Leave the keys in the truck all the time. Nothing is perfect but I like were I live...:)

Every generation thinks things were better when they were kids. (Things almost always seem better when you're a kid.)

Personally, the drug that saved my life was developed in the 1990's, so no way would I go back. In the 50's, my life would've been much worse. I'd probably think of cooking as a forced chore (if I weren't locked up for "hysteria"). Instead, I find it a joy, and a way to relax after a hard day at the office.

You're right Kath. It all seems simple when the adults are taking care of things and hiding the "monsters" from you.

We live in Atlanta. My wife and I laugh when we realize we have left the doors unlocked. In over 20 years inside the perimeter we had some steal tools one time from an open garage; a neighbor had work being done. Never had anyone enter either house, nor the new home just barely outside the perimeter (right off an interstate exit).

We had no qualms with our girls riding the school bus home and entering the house without us when they were in grade school; early 2000's. When they were old enough to know where they were going I'd let them walk to CVS to get stuff.

Our youngest had her own pet sitting business in grade school. We had no issues with her walking thru the neighborhood to take care of dogs and cats while we were at work; during the summer.

Wayne

Also am I the only one that finds a lot of stuff just isn't very appetizing reheated?

These seem to be the biggest barriers. My wife and I both cook but we're not always both home in the evening. I'm honestly amazed how many people don't have at least some basic skills. It's not that hard to throw a roast and seasoning packet in the crock pot or sprinkle some salt&pepper on a couple of steaks and throw them on a grill.

Also for those who like this sort of thing, you can find basic smokers in the ~$200 range. I got a propane one for simplicity's sake. Kinda wish we were doing thanksgiving at home as a brined and smoked turkey beats the crap out of the typical oven roasting method. I even got a cheap meat slicer to make cold cuts which is one thing that does keep well. Also like to do whole chickens, ribs, pork shoulder, and the occasional brisket.
Cooking for one is one reason why I have someone else make all my meals. And they're keto friendly. I thought the keto thing was a crock but I went from 200 to 170 in less than 10 weeks.

Yes, the effort/reward ratio is a factor for me, although I usually cook a big batch of something then eat it multiple times or freeze it. Luckily I have no problem eating reheated leftovers, but I would never be mistaken for a foodie.

Yes and yes. We'll try to portion and pre-prepare, if that's a word, some things to make it easier. Batch out the ingredients a bit, so we can make the same thing fresh two days later, but without as much hassle. And some things like red sauces and stock last forever, so at least I try to freeze those in small portions to make small batches easier.

I don't know if you've ever heard of Barbara McClintoch, she discovered mobile genetic elements in the 1960s. For geneticists this was a big big deal, except no one believed her mostly because she was a woman. Didn't help that her brilliant and elegant cytogenetic analysis wasn't that easily followed. Then again, when transposons were discovered in bacteria in the 1980s by men she was instantly believed and given the Nobel Prize. I don't see how "things" could have been so much better when we were liberally ignoring the abilities of half the population.

A certain group of individuals will always find a way to interject their ideologies into otherwise unrelated discussions. Never fails…

It's Godwin's Law of the Internet.

I prefer cooking at home, but I'm not much for the eating-out experience and I tend to get sick of restaurant food. I'm not a fancy cook, but can do justice to quite a few entrees. I can see how as a person gets older, though, pre-made food would be a more attractive alternative than spending time working in the kitchen.

because of business travel, I had enough eating out at restaurants. Eating out isn't much of a treat for me.

And doing my own cooking allows me to, shall I say, properly season the food.

I almost exclusively eat dinner at home. But I also almost exclusively eat lunch in a restaurant. So, I get to eat what I really want* at least once a day.

Except on Saturdays, when I do the BBQ (or oven ribs or whatever if the weather is bad, in which case it's twice a day.

Footnote: *I hatred tuna casserole

Back