Plane skids off runway in Wheeling (KPWK)

rk911

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
rk911
No injuries were reported Sunday morning after a plane skidded off a runway at Chicago Executive Airport in Wheeling, fire officials said.

According to the fire department, the single-engine Cessna had a mechanical issue while landing at the airport shortly after 11 a.m. Fire officials said the plane did not catch fire. Wheeling police said the plane was attempting to land from north to south when it bounced and went off the runway. The pilot was the sole occupant of the plane, police said.

Police said the Federal Aviation Administration, the National Transportation Safety Board, and the Illinois State Police have been notified.

source: https://edition.pagesuite.com/popov...636647-315a-4d80-a14e-021ce380c963&appid=1031

So a bounced landing is a mechanical issue, or a mechanical issue can cause a bounced landing?

Fire officials said the plane did not catch fire.

But thankfully this airplane did not catch fire, because we all know how much airplanes like to do that. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I've been in quite a cynical mood lately.

But thankfully this airplane did not catch fire, because we all know how much airplanes like to do that. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I've been in quite a cynical mood lately.

Especially given that the statement is preceded by two mentions of the fire department, which lacking further context (or even a token explanation of ARFF) could understandably lead a groundhog reader to assume it did. FIRE!

Especially given that the statement is preceded by two mentions of the fire department, which lacking further context (or even a token explanation of ARFF) could understandably lead a groundhog reader to assume it did. FIRE!
in my area (which is not where this incident happened) fire/EMS are automatically dispatched to the airfield either when the pilot reports any trouble to the tower or FBO prior to landing or when a mishap occurs after landing. I assume this is the case in Wheeling.

Here is one that did catch fire after departing the runway while landing yesterday. On a student solo, no less.
https://www.nj.com/news/2021/11/tee...when-plane-veers-off-runway-catches-fire.html
This isn't that far from me, but I haven't seen any other information on the incident.
I saw a good video of that. Looks like bounced went full power with a lot of flaps out. Then just pulled back into a power on stall. If was trimmed right for landing might have been a handful on the go.

Back