Brag about your life

My peers at work consider me an expert for the equipment we maintain. I get a lot of questions asked when troubleshooting problems. Takes me away from what I'm working on but what the heck. Helping someone else out make my work easier....:rolleyes:

Married 20 years to a wonderful girl. She helps with annuals and likes to fly with me....:)

On Fathers Day weekend, I received the best gift ever. The gift of life. We got the call that they found a kidney for my daughter and she had a successful transplant surgery. 6 months later she is still kicking ass recovering and we are starting to finally be able to look to the future.

Now we know you're lying. A C150 can't make it to 13K feet unless it was towed to 13,001. :)

Yeah, I wish I could find the photo I took of the instrument panel with the mixture one click from cutoff, super nose-high attitude and very little airspeed.

I have misplaced several old photos that would prove my antics as a young man. Nowadays, those are called "exhibit A."

Never cared for braggarts, but am always appreciative of those that accomplish a lot and remain humble. Meeting someone like that is a breath of fresh air. The other kind I can’t wait to find an escape path when they start boasting about themselves.

Never cared for braggarts, but am always appreciative of those that accomplish a lot and remain humble. Meeting someone like that is a breath of fresh air. The other kind I can’t wait to find an escape path when they start boasting about themselves.

In fact, I'm the same way. It's a fine line between bragging and simply acknowledging one's accomplishments in the appropriate setting (since this is a brag thread, I think it may fall into that category). In the work world, women tend to be too modest, which can hurt them. I've spent much of my life trying to find that fine line. "Humble brag" is a term that, in my experience, is used by people who aren't accomplished to cut down people who are, but it still highlights just how fine that line is. Personally, I like reading about other people's accomplishments as I am WAY past the stage in life where I compare myself to others. But I also think in his or her own way, everyone is accomplished, and unlike a lot of my colleagues from the rarefied atmosphere of academia, I respect everyone who isn't evil. Especially everyone on a pilot forum. Just learning to fly or aspiring to are huge accomplishments in themselves.

Turned 73 yesterday....still no daily meds. Passed 50 years of flying this Fall. Married to the love of my life, who makes me cupcakes for my birthday, and also does my BFRs. Have a couple airplanes in a hangar across the runway (that the County is nice enough to maintain for us) from the house. Life is good!

Jim

Last edited:
Other than being married to my High School girlfriend for 50 years and raising two daughters, nothing else matches that.

You've got me beat by 2 years. I've been married to my high school sweetheart for 48 years. Our first, a son, just turned 45 yesterday. Is that possible?

I didn't buy my last plane first or a Bonanza and managed to still be a member of POA

I haven't bought a plane and have never ridden in, much less flown, a Bo. 3 Cessnas (150, 172 and 182) and a Piper Arrow.

I've been retired for just over 6 years, but am still active in national and international standards bodies. Being retired is the best job I've ever had, bar none.

Turned 73 yesterday....still no daily meds. Passed 50 years of flying this Fall. Married to the love of my life, who makes me cupcakes for my birthday, and also does my BFRs. Have a couple airplanes in a hangar across the runway (that the County is nice enough to maintain for us) from the house. Life is good!

Jim

happy b-day!

I'm also not one to boast, but 2021 has been quite an interesting year for me!

I finally succeeded in a goal i've had since I was about 10 and earned my PhD in aerospace engineering from MIT. Shortly after my partner and I adopted an amazing and beautiful Labrador retriever mix who has been a real joy in our lives, even if she occasionally is quite a handful and puts us in some stressful spots! Got to see my 2 year old nephew who I have only met once since my sister/BIL/nephew live abroad. Seeing him play with our dog was a real joy! Started a new, exciting job at a clean technology startup, and just last month I proposed to my partner of 8 years and he (thankfully) said yes.

All in all quite a good year, minus the absence of flying. Some health issues over the past few years will likely complicate renewing my class 3, so I am looking along the basic med route. Between those, time, and money, getting in the cockpit hasn't happened for a few years sadly. I always swore to myself if I could not fly regularly to stay very current I wouldn't fly at all, if not for myself then for my family.

You've got me beat by 2 years. I've been married to my high school sweetheart for 48 years. Our first, a son, just turned 45 yesterday. Is that possible?

When my younger brother turned 60, we had no end of fun ribbing our parents about the fact that they had two children over the age of 60.

Today I bore my full weight on my legs for the first time since spinal surgery six weeks ago, for two whole minutes.

Fantastic!
We should start a new thread called "brag about your kicking diseases' butt!"
(Includes future buttkicking)

On Fathers Day weekend, I received the best gift ever. The gift of life. We got the call that they found a kidney for my daughter and she had a successful transplant surgery. 6 months later she is still kicking ass recovering and we are starting to finally be able to look to the future.
We should start a new thread called "brag about your kicking diseases' butt!"
...and others can join in! Mazel Tov and that's great news!

Married to the same woman for 34 years. And I only need half a tadalafil.

I became a CFI in 1975 when I was 18. Flew professionally for 7 years but there was no way to make a decent living flying in those days.

I worked in another profession for 32 years & retired very comfortably. I even managed to buy a 182 in the process that I fly for fun.

Presently, I'm a full-time CFI again & loving it. It's great flight instructing without the pressure of making a living at it. At 65, I hope I can instruct for many years to come.

I married well. And I was lucky at the right times in my career.

Yeah, I wish I could find the photo I took of the instrument panel with the mixture one click from cutoff, super nose-high attitude and very little airspeed.

I have misplaced several old photos that would prove my antics as a young man. Nowadays, those are called "exhibit A."
I have flown a 152 up to 12,500 before. I was just as surprised as Austin Approach was when they called traffic for a 737 on descent. "SW umpty squat, traffic opposite direction 12,500 is a 152?"

Back