Must haves for cross country

JM93

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
John M
I'm doing my longest XC so far, just under 400 nm, and I'm curious what others like to bring on a flight with them that is planned to be just over 3 hours.

water
flashlight(s)
empty bottle or container (to use when... well, think about it)

Well, this is being written from Central Washington State which is 1420 NM from home, done in the last 24 hours.
(1) Alternate USB power source
(2) Everything on the AC has to work
(3) Empty urinary bladder
(4) Stuff to nibble on (e.g eat, NOT a meal).
(5) Good VFR. I flew Yakmina today to absolute minimums. That was work.

A good night's rest and no "time back pressure" to cloud one's judgement :)

Last edited:
What kind of terrain and temperatures?

To all above add:

1 or 2 qts of oil
Tie downs.
(2) Credit cards, preferably (Visa or MC).

Cash and some change for vending machines at the FBO
USB battery, wall charger and charging cables
12volt USB charger for the flight
Water and snacks. No caffeine as that can make you need to pee.

ive known some who always carry a small emergency overnight kit in case they get stuck along the way. Toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, comb or brush, ear plugs, etc.

Oh yeah... forgot about the survival kit:

- cell phone
- credit card

That'll get you out of just about any jam.

Unless you go down deep in the backcountry.

In that case I'd recommend bringing an extra engine like Dr. Bruce.

In all seriousness, bring backup charts of some kind. I always carry two tablets. Usually three. Water. Sunglasses. I don't do snacks because I don't want food smell/crumbs in the plane; it draws mice. I find I can survive for 3 hours without eating....

I'm doing my longest XC so far, just under 400 nm, and I'm curious what others like to bring on a flight with them that is planned to be just over 3 hours.
Helps with dry mouth
images

A map. Plenty of gas, and then more gas.
If there's a chance you might get lost and fly into another country, bring your passport.
In all seriousness, get a weather briefing, check notams, make sure to read the page on the airport, have an alternative or two.

Cash and some change for vending machines at the FBO
USB battery, wall charger and charging cables
12volt USB charger for the flight
Water and snacks. No caffeine as that can make you need to pee.

ive known some who always carry a small emergency overnight kit in case they get stuck along the way. Toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, comb or brush, ear plugs, etc.
Clean underwear…or go commando.

Spare corrective lenses. My lens came out the frame of my glasses on final. I have now idea how it happened but I found myself squinting and closing 1 eye to land. It was the reason I changed to wearing contact lenses. Ahh the old days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In addition to basic tools, lights, spare oil and tie-downs, I bring some water to sip on. Flying is very dehydrating for me, commercial or GA. I carry all the other stuff even for a 1 hour flight, and it's already in my flight bag or in the plane.

My traveling toolbag contains an adjustable wrench, pliers, screwdriver, the most common size combination wrenches, some safety wire and duct tape, some extra cowl screws, zip ties, chocks, a quart of oil and a tube to pour it in, wheel chocks, paper towels. If I plan to overnight, tiedowns. There's always an old sweatshirt in the baggage compartment in case I get cold (open cockpit). Shoes, if I'm flying barefoot.

For a longer flight like that, I divide up the flight plan into two or three sections and when I hit the checkpoint between sections, I review the progress (weather, plane, and people) and continue on or land/return. Pick the points near airports with facilities (rental cars, hotels, restrooms) and take a look the approaches at those airports. Usually Class C airports check all the boxes.

If you are flying over inhospitable terrain (water, mountains, desert, etc.) where giving SAR a head start will make a difference, I like a personal locating beacon.

Spare corrective lenses. My lens came out the frame of my glasses on final. I have now idea how it happened but I found myself squinting and closing 1 eye to land. It was the reason I changed to wearing contact lenses. Ahh the old days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How was the landing? I lost my vision in my right eye and have had to modify my landing technique. Depth perception is off.

As to the OP. Good flight planning is the most important. I carry a light survival/tool bag on every flight. I like the flavored Vitamin water to sip on. It may be a little out of the way but you may want to skirt or fly close to other airports if for some reason you want to land and stretch you legs.

Alternates. A solid plan B, even if it's severe clear. Stuff goes wrong, stuff breaks...what are you gonna do?

Don't forget to hit the Pack button on Foreflight or the equivalent on whatever EFB you use.

External battery for the iPad/iPhone (and the cord!) Even if you don't use it in flight having it available if you're forced down may be a game changer.

A phone call to your credit card company so they don’t shut your card down when you are at KBFE with bad cell signal to get their fraud alert text when trying to get gas or motel!

My traveling toolbag contains an adjustable wrench, pliers, screwdriver, the most common size combination wrenches, some safety wire and duct tape, some extra cowl screws, zip ties, chocks, a quart of oil and a tube to pour it in, wheel chocks, paper towels. If I plan to overnight, tiedowns. There's always an old sweatshirt in the baggage compartment in case I get cold (open cockpit). Shoes, if I'm flying barefoot.

Yup, pretty much all of this. Stays packed in a milk crate in my hangar, ready to go. I would add an insulated lunchbox with water and snacks, especially down south in the summer.

How much does your milk crate weigh? My go bag is about 25 pounds

About the same or a little less, depending on how much oil I carry. My milk crate is old school from college 40 years ago, so it doubles as a step stool and could probably be used as a platform to jack up the plane.

Last edited:
Back