Short and soft

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
Not something that a guy would normally brag about, but had my best landing in so far this year today. Been working on my approach speeds, and today got it pretty spot on. Touch of throttle, full flaps, wings level, stall horn just starting to squawk all the way on final. Got over the trees at the end of the runway, jigged a little left for the grass, and was able to turn off before the midpoint of the runway with just a light touch of brakes. Pretty damn happy about that, as I have a habit of always coming in with a touch too much speed. And there was an audience as well, 3-4 planes lined up on the taxiway, waiting to take off.

Which was a perfect end to my flying day, as my first landing at my destination, grass strip in the hills on NH, I just couldn't get the plane to descend. Felt like there was a tailwind, then a headwind... plane floated and floated. Mostly because I was carrying a touch too much speed.
Still learning...

How long was the runway?
I land on the grass at my home field, two days ago I used well under half of the grass. The grass is well under half the paved runway. On a lazy day I use most of the grass.

Not something that a guy would normally brag about, but had my best landing in so far this year today. Been working on my approach speeds, and today got it pretty spot on. Touch of throttle, full flaps, wings level, stall horn just starting to squawk all the way on final. Got over the trees at the end of the runway, jigged a little left for the grass, and was able to turn off before the midpoint of the runway with just a light touch of brakes. Pretty damn happy about that, as I have a habit of always coming in with a touch too much speed. And there was an audience as well, 3-4 planes lined up on the taxiway, waiting to take off.

Which was a perfect end to my flying day, as my first landing at my destination, grass strip in the hills on NH, I just couldn't get the plane to descend. Felt like there was a tailwind, then a headwind... plane floated and floated. Mostly because I was carrying a touch too much speed.
Still learning...

Great for you!! It does feel good to do a greaser. !!!

My buddy who is a check airmen for SW and a 40 year pilot has been coaching me this past year. I have improved my short field landings and takeoff...not to be confused with soft field take offs! lol

This past summer I did T&Gs at all of the turf strips in my area. Loving grass more and more. Shortest that I landed at so far was 1700' Robinson 8I1 It was rough tall grass which made it easy to slow down.

Good to get the speed down, but you shouldn’t be hearing the stall horn chirp - 1.2Vso works nice with a proper aim point.

How long was the runway?
I land on the grass at my home field, two days ago I used well under half of the grass. The grass is well under half the paved runway. On a lazy day I use most of the grass.

2k', but you're not using the full length of the runway, either grass or paved. Road at end of runway, trees...
i-xn8RGXF-L.jpg

I'm still working on that combo, I can land smoothly and longer, or really short with a firm plop, but haven't dialed in the middle yet. I've only got about 300 landings in my plane, maybe that's not enough yet?

Good to get the speed down, but you shouldn’t be hearing the stall horn chirp - 1.2Vso works nice with a proper aim point.

the vents in the wing root makes noise before the stall horn, and a pre-pre-stall warning.

Back