Cessna 172M 40 degree flaps

That's impossible, Tony. Everyone knows you can't have a NEGATIVE cruise speed. ;)

har har har. tell that to the glider i was flying last weeknd. a backwards we were going

40' and a vasi glide slope are not very compatible.. but it is fun to come in high, no power dump them all on and make like a helicopter!!! done right it makes a 172 into a real short field machine for the landing. However if your on a "normal" glide slope full flaps will require a bunch of power, since most of the flaps from 20' on is all about drag and not much about lift.

of course there may have been some concern about the doofi who insisted on taking off with full flaps.
I've found myself with the 40 in on the go part of a touch and go once or twice. Talk about pucker factor. There's a really big tree at the end of the usual RY where I fly out of too... Now when doing touch and gos I've gotten in the habit of not advancing the throttle until I see the flaps retracting! ;)

i dont think the 40 deg end had anything to do with liability. it became fairly obvious that it was slight overkill and they could certify it to 100 lbs heavier gross weight with only 30 flaps, due to climbing requirements with full flaps extended. of course there may have been some concern about the doofi who insisted on taking off with full flaps.

That sounds about right. IIRC Cessna wanted to raise the MGW because the payload was suffering the usual empty weight creep and they needed to drop the 40 flaps setting to meet the certification requirements for a balked landing.

Another way is to leave a fraction power on until the flare has started... that way i think the landing is like with 30 degrees but then as last trickle of power comes off you have benefit of faster settle onto runway....any thoughts ?

That's impossible, Tony. Everyone knows you can't have a NEGATIVE cruise speed. ;)

MCA in a 152 into a 50kt headwind...and you WILL be going backwards. Scares the heck out of students the first time you demonstrate it....but really reinforces the concept of relative wind.

First climb up to 3,000’ and do some slow flight and then some power off stalls with 40 flaps. You’ll note a couple of things. The stall warning will go off way before the stall (note the IAS). The stall will be at a very low IAS, low 40s in kts. When you’re comfortable with the power off stalls at 40 flaps, try the landing again. Many of the comments earlier are good ones.

I LOVE the giant 40 deg Fowler flaps in the 172. Those things are great.

I LOVE the giant 40 deg Fowler flaps in the 172. Those things are great.
The 150 has flaps nearly as big, and that airplane can really come down in a hurry and land pretty short. It's the one thing the 150 does well.

Flaps 40 is great, especially if you’re high and or fast!

The 150 has flaps nearly as big, and that airplane can really come down in a hurry and land pretty short. It's the one thing the 150 does well.
Indeed. I did my first solo in a 150. Great little airplane.

A 14 year old dead thread… is this a new necropost record?

11-21-2021!!
I have been flying a C172N with 40 flaps for 3.5 years, 750 hrs so far.

I love my 40 flaps, have had plenty of practice.
A couple months ago I added up my landings since I put new tires on the plane right after I started flying it.
I have landed 1450 some landings since new tires then. Probably another 100 since on the same tires.

I used to be a terrible lander, not anymore. Fly in and out of shorter turf airports all around my area also.

Yesterday I flew and did 6 T&Gs at a nearby airport. 2 were 20 flap landing, one was 10 flap landing and last one was no flaps.

My tires are 90-95% worn now after 3.5 years of hard flying. I am finding out tires are hard to get now...
IMG_0240(1).JPG

Did a brake job a few months ago and got a good look at the tires since they are under wheel pants.
IMG_0223(1).JPG

I have flown backwards with my first flight instructor during training one day. She took the controls and put a bunch of flap in. Had me look down and we were going backwards.

Couple weeks ago Miami Ohio football was playing on a Tues night. There was no TFR, I was at 3000' and it was about 30 minutes before game time. I did 20 flaps slow flight around the area for about 3 laps. Then last lap I put in 40 and faced a 34kt head wind from the west. I pretty much had zero or close to it ground speed for a minute or so. It was just hanging in the air. The garmin lady started calling out "air speed! airspeed!"
In this shot I had the plane trimmed and I took this picture while the plane was not moving.
IMG_1099.JPG

Last edited:
11-21-2021!!

My tires are 90-95% worn now after 3.5 years of hard flying. I am finding out tires are hard to get now...
IMG_0240(1).JPG
There are a bunch of hours left in that tire. Take it off the wheel and turn it around. Most of the wear on a Cessna's tires is at touchdown when the gear leg is relaxed downward, canting the tire. We used to rotate the flight school tires and get nearly twice the life out of them, except when some student would land too fast and try to fix it by clamping the brakes on. Too much speed, even on the ground, means lots of lift and no traction and a flat-spotted tire.

There are a bunch of hours left in that tire. Take it off the wheel and turn it around. Most of the wear on a Cessna's tires is at touchdown when the gear leg is relaxed downward, canting the tire. We used to rotate the flight school tires and get nearly twice the life out of them, except when some student would land too fast and try to fix it by clamping the brakes on. Too much speed, even on the ground, means lots of lift and no traction and a flat-spotted tire.

Thanks for that tip. I did not think to flip them, great idea.

I did reinstall them from earlier this year and have flown quite a bit since. Ironically I have done a lot of turf landings all this past summer which I think is easy on tires?

I want to get new tires though ahead of time a little. For fear of not being able to get them when needed?
IMG_0208(1).JPG

I am guilty of some flat spots from heavy braking.
IMG_0238(1).JPG

A 14 year old dead thread… is this a new necropost record?

Holy student pilot Batman! The original post predates my student certificate by several years!

Somebody bookmark it to come back and comment again on it in 2035.

Back