Real ID vs Enhanced

jordane93

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jordan
I’m up for renewal and want to change my regular license to either real or enhanced. From what I understand enhanced is a real ID that allows you to also use your drivers license at a land border between US and Mexico/Canada and federal buildings. Is there anything else that it does? I’m cheap and don’t really want to spend additional money if it’s not much more useful than a real ID. Thanks!

The biggie. If you fly commercially, it allows passage through TSA without another form of ID such as a military ID or passport. You can’t get on a commercial domestic flight with just a standard DL.

The biggie. If you fly commercially, it allows passage through TSA without another form of ID such as a military ID or passport. You can’t get on a commercial domestic flight with just a standard DL.
I understand that. My question was more towards if an enhanced ID is more useful than a real ID. I already have to pay to upgrade to a real ID. The DMV also charges additional fees for an enhanced ID.

I’m up for renewal and want to change my regular license to either real or enhanced. From what I understand enhanced is a real ID that allows you to also use your drivers license at a land border between US and Mexico/Canada and federal buildings. Is there anything else that it does? I’m cheap and don’t really want to spend additional money if it’s not much more useful than a real ID. Thanks!

Never heard of enhanced ID. Real ID is the new federal requirement (Not mandatory until May 2023 now due to pandemic delay) that basically makes you show proof of citizenship to get a little star on your license.

You've actually got until May 2023 before this goes in to effect.

Real Id, is required for all domestic travel via airlines, plus to enter some buildings (e.g. federal facilities).
Enhanced goes further, and adds some features of a passport card. Only good for certain international borders. If memory severs, land to Mexico and Canada, plus select island nations via air.

Tim

If you don't have a passport, enhanced, with the understanding it won't get you everywhere. If you have a passport, not needed.

I got a passport card, it’s great, it’s the only photo ID I show anyone, it has the info they need like my name and birthday, and non of the info that’s none of their business, like my home address, organ donor, state of residence, etc.

Thanks all! Seems like I don’t need an enhanced ID. I’ll just go with a real ID

I went for the enhanced even though I have a passport card and Nexus card. A bit redundant I guess but it won’t hurt.

This "enhanced" thing is new to me. I don't recall it being an option when I last renewed my license. I did get a real ID though.

This "enhanced" thing is new to me. I don't recall it being an option when I last renewed my license. I did get a real ID though.
Only a handful of states offer it right now.

Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington

Real Id, is required for all domestic travel via airlines, plus to enter some buildings (e.g. federal facilities).
Enhanced goes further, and adds some features of a passport card. Only good for certain international borders. If memory severs, land to Mexico and Canada, plus select island nations via air.

Tim

I guess not yet. I don't have one, just a DL, and they let me on domestic airlines no problem.

I guess not yet. I don't have one, just a DL, and they let me on domestic airlines no problem.

Give it time. The TSA Real ID requirements were delayed due to COVID, but hit later this year.

Tim

Real ID not required to fly until May 3, 2023. https://www.tsa.gov/real-id

They have pushed it back a number of times. I was bummed because the state I moved to (CA) started offering Real ID right after I had gotten a CA license. Now the license will expire before Real ID is necessary, so I will get it at that time. CA doesn't offer enhanced ID yet. I think it's in the courts because of privacy concerns due to RFID.

If you have one, bring your DD214 when you get your real ID and they put another extra special sticker on it…

If you have one, bring your DD214 when you get your real ID and they put another extra special sticker on it…

Well, sort of. I'm not sure how that works in Illinois, but in California you can bring your DD214 in to the state department of veterans affairs and they will give you a form that the DMV will accept. The DMV here will not process it directly.

I'm not exactly sure why I did it or what it gets me. I have never asked for veterans or military discounts, but haven't refused it either when offered. And that wasn't by virtue of the little thingie on the license.

I got the "enhanced" in Washington. I was shocked at the cost. Virtually the same as a passport

Well, sort of. I'm not sure how that works in Illinois, but in California you can bring your DD214 in to the state department of veterans affairs and they will give you a form that the DMV will accept. The DMV here will not process it directly.

I'm not exactly sure why I did it or what it gets me. I have never asked for veterans or military discounts, but haven't refused it either when offered. And that wasn't by virtue of the little thingie on the license.

It makes taking advantage of veteran discounts a lot easier. I got an Epic season ski pass with no restricted days for about half price. Every year Seaworld offers veterans and families free admission which is normally about $100 per ticket. I hope that if I ever get pulled over for some minor traffic offense that maybe the cop will cut me a little slack. It wasn't much trouble going to the VA office to pick up the form. Apparently only about 7% of the population has served in the military.

I would bet veteran plates help more for tickets than the license. Have a couple of friends with those, and it absolutely helps them with tickets. Sometimes they get a wave, sometimes pulled over and just a random discussion without so much as a warning.

All So. Dak. DLs have been Real ID for several years now. I also had the 'veteran' option put on it. Didn't know why at the time, but flying Allegiant Air you get free luggage. Don't purchase the luggage with your on-line ticket but when you get to the airport check your baggage at the counter and point out the veteran part. (Can't say much else about that airline though).

I have had people say "Thank-you for your service." when presenting my DL for ID purposes. "Veteran" is in red letters along the bottom of the DL.

Back