Electric Airplane: 15 minutes and 335 kts

remove electric motor and battery, replace with allison or other 450hpish turbine, and you've got one hell of a kitplane there. :D

I love the fuel consumption numbers:

Fuel Consumption @12,000 ft.

280 kts/tas 17 gph

300 kts/tas 23 gph

360 kts/tas 70 gph (For about 10 minutes)

Holy COW!

Also of interest:

Performance:

Max Speed 420mph @5500 (left turns only)

Apparently there's not enough right rudder in the world to make it turn right while at Vne, lol.

I'd scoff at the 15 minute duration, but since I'm unlikely to ever fly anything capable of 335 kts maybe I'll just keep quiet.

How on earth do you shove 70gph through an IO-540?! He must be running some... unsavory boost levels. Not something I'd wanna do with a 73kt stall :eek:

This thing is ugly as f***

Last edited:
This is a pretty good documentary on the NXT. Saw the premier showing during OSH.

(It happens...
Ultimate Reno Air Race dead-stick landing after blown engine and propeller snaps off!!!)

Pretty clear what happened and when.

That's a spectacular example of fatigue in that home brew prop extension and consequential failures. The fatigue cracks progressed around the spokes of the extension, from the gyroscopic loads generated by the propeller. The failure progressed around the extension "spokes" until it wrenched and pulled the engine out of the mounts. The engine oversped to come from together. Fascinating!

Back