Who gets the strip?

No, it really isn't. The IATA code for the Piedmont Triad International Airport is GSO. People call it PTI, but the ticket code is GSO.

But the RADIO callsign varies independently of the airport name.
I thought it might be because all the signage on the Interstates say "PTI." Thanks for the correction.

It's rare to change the airport FAA (or IATA) ids. This is why O'Hare is still ORD. The notable ones are JFK (formerly IDL for Idlewild) and BWI (formerly BAL for Baltimore when the airport was called Friendship. They renamed it to try to convince people it was closer to DC).

It's rare to change the airport FAA (or IATA) ids. This is why O'Hare is still ORD. The notable ones are JFK (formerly IDL for Idlewild) and BWI (formerly BAL for Baltimore when the airport was called Friendship. They renamed it to try to convince people it was closer to DC).
They did something similar in Colorado when they renamed the Northwest Limon Airport "DEN" to make people think it was closer to Denver.

They did something similar in Colorado when they renamed the Northwest Limon Airport "DEN" to make people think it was closer to Denver.
:D

...although it was more a moving if the existing DEN to another location.

ICAO, not IATA.

That was different, they moved the airport.

No, I meant IATA (the ticketing codes).
That is a three-letter code, not usable for flight plans. Such as Salzburg Airport, Austria: IATA: SZG, ICAO: LOWS. SZG isn't useful to pilots.

That is a three-letter code, not usable for flight plans. Such as Salzburg Airport, Austria: IATA: SZG, ICAO: LOWS. SZG isn't useful to pilots.
i understand that. If you were paying attention to the thread, you would see that we were talking about both the FAA codes and the codes on airline tickets (that is the ATA codes), specifically with respect to Greensboro/Piedmont-Triad. See Mark Kolber's comment back in post #39 which is what I was responding to.

i understand that. If you were paying attention to the thread, you would see that we were talking about both the FAA codes and the codes on airline tickets (that is the ATA codes), specifically with respect to Greensboro/Piedmont-Triad. See Mark Kolber's comment back in post #39 which is what I was responding to.
I was trying to provide information based on my limitations.

The answer to the question: it depends. If your proposed departure point is 5 miles west of the center boundary and your field route is eastbound, both facilities should get a proposal. Either could activate it. The actual parameter (proposed boundary crossing time in HOST, I'm not sure of it's name in ERAM) is time-based, and is adaptable by facility.

Back