Wife Threatened To Report Me To The FAA

• Thread starter Confidentiality009
  • Start date
Me and my wife are going through a nasty divorce and custody battle. Long story short I found some dirt on her that suggests she has a bank account in which she did not report to the court. This means I will have to potentially pay less in spousal support. When I presented this to her she threatened to call the FAA saying I’m suicidal (I’m not) and that I abuse drugs and alcohol (I don’t). This is her being spiteful that she won’t get more assets including the aircraft I own.

What can I do about this? Should I get a lawyer?

If you are an AOPA member, call them up. They can point you in the right direction.

Absolutely retain lawyer. Also the judge/court will take an extremely harsh view of hiding assets.

It might also be useful to have his attorney call the exes attorney and point out the penalty for perjury for his ex wife. The threat of bracelets that connect often works some magic.
Calling the FAA generally isn’t done from the witness stand.

And perjury is a crime in every jurisdiction I know. Women are almost never prosecuted for making up and testifying about crimes and events that never happened. Because patriarchy.

18 USC 1001 case law seems to have been focused around the integrity of the US govt. When the govt acts on a false report, it infringes on the government's integrity, so there's a punishment to the person causing it.

And yes, there's also a potential perjury charge, but that is more difficult to prove.

Me and my wife are going through a nasty divorce and custody battle. Long story short I found some dirt on her that suggests she has a bank account in which she did not report to the court. This means I will have to potentially pay less in spousal support. When I presented this to her she threatened to call the FAA saying I’m suicidal (I’m not) and that I abuse drugs and alcohol (I don’t). This is her being spiteful that she won’t get more assets including the aircraft I own.

I say let her do it.. if what she is proclaiming is not true and it cost you, that is slanderous and she is digging a deeper hole for herself and then you own her.

Get drug and alcohol tests periodically until the divorce is finalized. Cheap insurance.
I’m an attorney, though not a divorce attorney so take this with a grain of salt. If you are really that concerned about it, do the periodic drug/alcohol tests. As well, immediately have your divorce attorney send her counsel a letter memorializing the threat and promising an immediate lawsuit for defamation if she carries through with it. Save your credit card/bank card statements. Those won’t show the lack of drug transactions, but they will show you haven’t purchased any alcohol or at least not enough to raise suspicions. Good luck .

The worst that happens is you get a letter from the FAA saying you need to be a psychiatry evaluation..... you do it, and then it's done....

Get drug and alcohol tests periodically until the divorce is finalized. Cheap insurance.
Not cheap insurance, waste of money IMO. Walk into any business that doesn't have a random testing program but DOES test all new hires and start walking up to employees and asking them how long you have to stay clean to pass a urine test. If you make it more than 3 employees before you find one that can give you the correct answer for alcohol, pot and pills all in a row rattled off from memory like they're telling you their childhood address, I'll eat a bug. Point being its easy to pass a drug test that you schedule for yourself so those tests prove nothing.

Not cheap insurance, waste of money IMO. Walk into any business that doesn't have a random testing program but DOES test all new hires and start walking up to employees and asking them how long you have to stay clean to pass a urine test. If you make it more than 3 employees before you find one that can give you the correct answer for alcohol, pot and pills all in a row rattled off from memory like they're telling you their childhood address, I'll eat a bug. Point being its easy to pass a drug test that you schedule for yourself so those tests prove nothing.

That same person will also be able to point out to you that if you *ABUSE* substances, they remain detectable longer. So if you get a screened every two weeks as an insurance plan you will "waste" about $75 bucks a month and be able to easily demonstrate that abuse isn't an issue. Seems like cheap insurance if your ex is a crazy person that you think would be willing to lie under oath.

And that's ignoring hair tests, which might require even less frequent tested, but which I know almost nothing about.

That same person will also be able to point out to you that if you *ABUSE* substances, they remain detectable longer. So if you get a screened every two weeks as an insurance plan you will "waste" about $75 bucks a month and be able to easily demonstrate that abuse isn't an issue. Seems like cheap insurance if your ex is a crazy person that you think would be willing to lie under oath.

And that's ignoring hair tests, which might require even less frequent tested, but which I know almost nothing about.
I don't know where you're getting your drug testing done, but I pay way more than $35 when I need one of my guys to go pee in a cup.

Let me get this right. She wants to knowingly lie to a federal agency in order to extort you to keep "hidden" assets hidden in a divorce settlement.

Bold move. Also, dumb.

1) Hire attorney and do what they say
2) Stop posting anything online about anything that has anything to do with pending litigation.

/fin

Let me get this right. A soon to be ex-wife threatened to do something mean if you don’t do what she wants? Why exactly are people shocked by this?

Let me rephrase. I have a divorce lawyer. He’s not familiar with the FAA. I meant, should I get an aviation lawyer should she try to slander me?
Aviation specific lawyers do not typically handle slander cases. Your divorce attorney should be able to handle the slander case or recommend another attorney if needed.

This is not an aviation case at this time and even if it becomes one, an aviation specific attorney won’t really do as much good as having a good civil attorney already on the case handling the divorce and potential slander.

If she were to file a complaint with the FAA against you stating that you are suicidal and abuse drugs, it most likely would not go far. If she does so anonymously without proof, the ASI assigned to the complaint would most likely just review your airman record and give you a call for a phone interview. They might even go as far as to talk to your AME to get their opinion on your well-being. However, they will not order a psych evaluation or order drug tests based on her anonymous report alone.

If she were to not do it anonymously, her relationship to you would be inquired into during the investigation and that would be probed. The FAA is accustomed to dealing with bitter parties with an axe to grind.

And of course, whether her complaint is done anonymously or in the open, all you have to do is to be honest and open about the fact that you are going through a nasty divorce and your wife or ex is just trying to smear you. Without any direct evidence to support her claims, the investigation would most likely be closed with no action required.

At this point in time, ignore all suggestions to get a separate attorney unless your divorce one thinks you should. Ignore suggestions to call AOPA legal services. Don’t do any drug or alcohol testing on your own. Do not seek psychiatric services on your own. Avoid talking to your wife. Avoid posting on the internet. Avoid listening to SGOTI. Yeah that includes me as well but especially ignore the shrill ones who are suggesting that you do far more than the situation currently calls for. Their advice is worthless and mine is worth exactly what you paid for it plus maybe a smidgen more, imho.

Let me get this right. She wants to knowingly lie to a federal agency in order to extort you to keep "hidden" assets hidden in a divorce settlement.

Bold move. Also, dumb.

Oh, and she would jeopardize the ability of her victim to earn the money she wants to take from him. Yeah, she didn't think this through.

Oh, and she would jeopardize the ability of her victim to earn the money she wants to take from him. Yeah, she didn't think this through.

Competing goals. She wants to destroy him completely yet use him as a continuous money stream. What to do? Which does she want more? Where do you you guys find these horrible women?

Any competent divorce lawyer will tell his divorcing wives to never mess with the money. Unfortunately, many divorcing wives do not listen to their counsel.

Competing goals. She wants to destroy him completely yet use him as a continuous money stream. What to do? Which does she want more? Where do you you guys find these horrible women?
In fairness we have only heard one side of the story. I'm sure if we heard hers the story would be equally as compelling as to why the OP is a horrible guy.

In fairness we have only heard one side of the story. I'm sure if we heard hers the story would be equally as compelling as to why the OP is a horrible guy.

Sometimes there is no valid other side.

Maybe. He IS a pilot after all.

Competing goals. She wants to destroy him completely yet use him as a continuous money stream. What to do? Which does she want more?
This is why two party systems work so well. One party wants to take everything from you. The other party will let you keep your stuff, but you have to give them all your profits. :)
Where do you you guys find these horrible women?
My wife's family is Sicilian, and doesn't believe in divorce. She's pretty understanding, but if I cross certain lines, I will just wake up dead.

This is why two party systems work so well. One party wants to take everything from you. The other party will let you keep your stuff, but you have to give them all your profits. :)

My wife's family is Sicilian, and doesn't believe in divorce. She's pretty understanding, but if I cross certain lines, I will just wake up dead.

Said my priest during the homily at Mass one time: “Divorce? Never! Murder, yes, but not divorce.”

Isn't that a criminal offence extortion your attorney should contact the District Attorney they might have you record her telling you this. Depending on the state you might be able to record the phone call as many states only require one of the two to know the phone call is recorded. I would consult your attorney on that first.

So you find an account where she was hiding money, rather than keeping your mouth shut and letting your attorney catch her in a lie in front of a judge, you decide to call her and argue with her about it. You need to STFU and let your attorney do his job.

This exactly. (Unless your layer is “she”, not “he.” In which case, let her do her job.)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back