Car gas and Av Gas basically the same price in LA

azpilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
azpilot
According to gasbuddy.com, the prices of car gas around KHHR is between $4.19 and $4.99 / gallon.

According to 100ll.com, gas at KHHR is $5.04 / gallon (self serve).

I just spot checked this one location, but this certainly seems strange for car gas and av gas to be nearly the same price.

$5.21 gal avgas at my airport. 87 car gas is $3.299 around here.

According to gasbuddy.com, the prices of car gas around KHHR is between $4.19 and $4.99 / gallon.

According to 100ll.com, gas at KHHR is $5.04 / gallon (self serve).

I just spot checked this one location, but this certainly seems strange for car gas and av gas to be nearly the same price.
Gee, Why is that so? It doesn’t make any sense, unless…

I’m not allowed. It would hurt some people’s feelings and we can’t have that.
Then why bother posting it at all? You just want to be semi-political without any of the repercussions. Very honorable.

Car gas is $3.49 in NY, Ethanol free 91 is $3.99, 100LL is anywhere from $4.35-5.00

..I'll say it. CA taxes the hell out of gas.. close to $0.70 per gallon. AvGas by comparison only gets taxed around $0.25, or even less, for state excise tax

I drive less than 10K miles per year so don't really care. They're only shooting themselves in the foot as people move out. As people move to electric they'll raise the taxes on that too and people will keep moving out. It's a stupid strategy, and entirely self inflicted

Honestly, the people most impacted by rising gas prices are generally those the least able to absorb it.. taxi, uber, lyft, limo, doordash, grubhub, and service industry workers who can't work from home or afford to purchase a $100K electric car

^but like I said, a stupid strategy.

Yes our gas is expensive, and a part of the reason is the high taxes levied on it.

..I'll say it. CA taxes the hell out of gas.. close to $0.70 per gallon. AvGas by comparison only gets taxed around $0.25, or even less, for state excise tax

I drive less than 10K miles per year so don't really care. They're only shooting themselves in the foot as people move out. As people move to electric they'll raise the taxes on that too and people will keep moving out. It's a stupid strategy, and entirely self inflicted
Might want to get your facts straight. California's population in 2000 was 33.63 million. Population in 2019 was 39.51 million. Not too many moving out. Probably just as many moving out of Texas with their recent social policies.

New York has a fairly flat population growth of only a few thousand a year up or down at this point.

Vehicle gas prices can rise and fall quickly overnight, given the quantity of it consumed. The price at the airport usually only changes when they receive the next load, which may take a while. When prices are escalating as fast as they are, I can see vehicle gas quickly catching up to avgas. Don't worry, I'm sure your avgas will spike as well.

Supply, demand, delivery systems and taxes. CA has about the highest AvGas tax but its not close to the % of what makes up auto gas prices.

I’m not allowed. It would hurt some people’s feelings and we can’t have that.
I bet it would be more like something fatuous and fallacious which will cause a reply that is facetious but factual.
Don't start none wont be none.

Might want to get your facts straight. California's population in 2000 was 33.63 million. Population in 2019 was 39.51 million. Not too many moving out. Probably just as many moving out of Texas with their recent social policies.

Indeed, getting facts straight.

According to the Census Bureau, Texas population in 1999 at 20.04 million, in 2019 29 million.

seems Texas population grew at a faster rate than California's, both as a percentage and also absolute numbers.

Car gas is $3.49 in NY, Ethanol free 91 is $3.99, 100LL is anywhere from $4.35-5.00
Interestingly low, do you know where your closest refinery is?
I used to live in Corpus Christi, a refinery town. You'd think prices would be kinda low, nope. You could always get gas cheaper anywhere from 30-200 miles away.
Why? Because they can.

Might want to get your facts straight. California's population in 2000 was 33.63 million. Population in 2019 was 39.51 million. Not too many moving out.

Middle class moving out being replaced by illegals.

A couple years ago the voters approved a measure that automatically raises gas taxes periodically, with no further vote and no discussion.

Please see: https://lao.ca.gov/laoecontax/article/detail/265 which is a non partisan legislative analysis office and provides fiscal advice. I have the correct facts. By picking two random years and population figures it's easy to try and steer math to fit a certain narrative. You have to look at the people actually paying and filing taxes.. anyway, the attached is good, non partisan reading.

upload_2021-11-17_14-19-30.png

**I don't hate CA, in fact, I love it here. The weather is nice, the flying is AWESOME, I get to ski, hike, sail, dive, and do everything I want without leaving. But I'll be the first to admit that certain financial and social policies are questionable. I'll leave it at that.

I pay much less for plane fuel than I do for car fuel here... Of course that is CA car gas pricing which I'm sure is the highest in the country (like everything else about CA) vs. Jet A (which is almost always cheaper than 100LL, sometimes significantly so). On the other hand, I probably buy 100x more jet fuel per year than car gas by volume.

I used to live in Corpus Christi, a refinery town. You'd think prices would be kinda low, nope. You could always get gas cheaper anywhere from 30-200 miles away.
Why? Because they can.

Most refineries do not make 100LL.

And not many oil companies make it. The ones that do, in the US, are Phillips, Chevron, Exxon and Shell. I know that Phillips’ refinery in Borger TX makes it, and I’ve found a good price at the nearest airport, far from Corpus Christi.

Don’t know much about Corpus Christi, but Google tells me that refineries there have names like Valero and Citgo, not the names of the four makers of 100LL.

A couple years ago the voters approved a measure that automatically raises gas taxes periodically, with no further vote and no discussion.

NJ did that as well, and we didn't even get to vote on it.

Gee, Why is that so? It doesn’t make any sense, unless…
….unless its entirely possible that auto gas stations set price based on the next anticipated delivery wholesale price and aviation fuel dealers generally set price based on the last delivery wholesale price. And av gas doesn’t replenish as frequently as auto gas, so the av gas prices haven’t caught up yet.

Please see: https://lao.ca.gov/laoecontax/article/detail/265 which is a non partisan legislative analysis office and provides fiscal advice. I have the correct facts. By picking two random years and population figures it's easy to try and steer math to fit a certain narrative. You have to look at the people actually paying and filing taxes.. anyway, the attached is good, non partisan reading.

View attachment 101939

**I don't hate CA, in fact, I love it here. The weather is nice, the flying is AWESOME, I get to ski, hike, sail, dive, and do everything I want without leaving. But I'll be the first to admit that certain financial and social policies are questionable. I'll leave it at that.
Wasting your time.

Traditionally 100LL was about a buck more than premium.

We're about at parity in the bay also, although I'm starting to see premium climb through 5.50 in a lot of places, so avgas may be underpriced/behind market and due for a snap upward. Guess I'd better fill the tanks. :D

Yes, avgas costs some more to make and distribute than mogas (auto gas). However, the main driver of higher avgas prices is the limited competition at the retail (FBO) level, compared to gas stations on every corner competing with each other.

Indeed, getting facts straight.

According to the Census Bureau, Texas population in 1999 at 20.04 million, in 2019 29 million.

seems Texas population grew at a faster rate than California's, both as a percentage and also absolute numbers.
Yep. In that 20 year period, TX population increased 40% while the CA population increased by 17%.

That's a pretty big difference.

In North Texas AVgas is anywhere between $4.00 - $7.20, while auto gas is around $3.10

Yep. In that 20 year period, TX population increased 40% while the CA population increased by 17%.

That's a pretty big difference.
But hardly people “leaving the state in droves” as stated. And you know the same people also claimed that the entire population increase in CA was caused by “illegals”. Guess we also have to make the same statement about Texas.

Now look what you started. :D

CA taxes the hell out of everything. Why? Because they can. Why can they? Because people who stay here think it's still worth it. When they stop liking it, they move to some southern ****-hole and post screed about how CA sucks and rabble rabble rabble. It's what I would do too if humidity, ignorant mobs, or tornadoes kept me locked in the cellar of my home.

(it is a thread about gasoline after all, may as well sling some :p )

Why? Because they can.
Oh ya, I forgot about New Jersey.

Most refineries do not make 100LL.
And not many oil companies make it. The ones that do, in the US, are Phillips, Chevron, Exxon and Shell. I know that Phillips’ refinery in Borger TX makes it, and I’ve found a good price at the nearest airport, far from Corpus Christi.

Don’t know much about Corpus Christi, but Google tells me that refineries there have names like Valero and Citgo, not the names of the four makers of 100LL.
Im just trying to illustrate that actual transport costs has little bearing on price, in auto gas at least.

But hardly people “leaving the state in droves” as stated. And you know the same people also claimed that the entire population increase in CA was caused by “illegals”. Guess we also have to make the same statement about Texas.

If you want to blame the population increase in CA and TX on illegals, that still doesn't explain why TX has a 40% population growth and CA is flat at 17% (relative to the total US population). Unless you're saying that more illegals are heading to TX. Is that what you're saying? And if so, why would that be?

Well, my post had 78 words, and among them there are four that answer your question.
Ya, but they weren't in thr paragraph I read. Lol

Thank you for pointing it out.

Now look what you started. :D

CA taxes the hell out of everything. Why? Because they can. Why can they? Because people who stay here think it's still worth it. When they stop liking it, they move to some southern ****-hole and post screed about how CA sucks and rabble rabble rabble. It's what I would do too if humidity, ignorant mobs, or tornadoes kept me locked in the cellar of my home.

(it is a thread about gasoline after all, may as well sling some :p )
It is crazy out there in CA. I don’t miss paying the taxes or dealing with the regulatory burden.

If you want to blame the population increase in CA and TX on illegals, that still doesn't explain why TX has a 40% population growth and CA is flat at 17% (relative to the total US population). Unless you're saying that more illegals are heading to TX. Is that what you're saying? And if so, why would that be?
Because it has a larger border with Mexico? Just a guess.

3.80 around here for 91 or better

LL is just under 5 bucks

CA has great women, food and landscape, but no other saving grace.

I paid $4.47/gallon at Borrego Springs, CA (L08) the other day, and $4.44 for premium auto fuel this weekend, for my motorcycle. Regular is about $4.25 at the same station. Those are both the least expensive options in the area, so you can surely pay more for car gas than avgas if you don't want to shop around.

Within the last year or so, friends and neighbors here in California have moved to Nevada, Oregon, Oklahoma, Florida, South Carolina and North Carolina (2X). Some were very well established (30+ years) prior to their move, and gave it a lot of thought. There is no question that there is a exodus of the middle class. We stay here because we love our house bought years ago (and ten minutes from work), we love what we can do here in the weather here, and because my Federal defense contractor employer pays very well. It's a matter of making enough money while dealing with the stress of doing so, and if you can't make that happen to your satisfaction you're well served to leave. This is no longer a place to build a future in the private sector, its a place to enjoy what you've already built, if that is the case. But you will pay government directly and indirectly for the privilege.

Last edited:
Back