Ask me your hardest checkride questions

Like the title says, ask me your hardest checkride questions. Weather and availability through the holidays has me on a long approach to checkride. Trying to stay sharp and prep for things I haven't thought of or heard before.
What is the specified tire pressure for the nosewheel? Main wheels? Is that too easy? :)

Explain the meaning of life.

Cite three examples.

(Question blatantly stolen from my high-school philosophy teacher, Mr. Jim Feeley (RIP).)

You're a Sport Pilot who owns a light sport aircraft. You'd like to save some money by doing your own oil changes on your LSA. Does it matter whether your LSA is an Ercoupe or a Tecnam Astore? Why or why not?
A: Yes, because I have flown an Ercoupe... What's a flotsam?

The A/FD for KLAL lists both ATIS and AWOS for frequency 118.025. Which is it and why?
Trick question, this is 'merikka, our airports have THREE letter identifiers.

upload_2021-11-16_17-25-32.png

What is 122.4 used for?
What does the C inside the Blue Circle Mean?
IF the Tower is closed what frequency do you use?
What does the *L mean?
What is 122.9 used for?
What does the 78 in the dashed square mean?

"What does the C inside the Blue Circle Mean?"

It means I need to turn the chart over and look at the legend to remind myself what a "C in the blue circle" means

As in, you’re flying way above redline if they’re flying alongside you in that attitude. ;)

Follow up question. Since you brought up redline what is it and what does it mean to you as a pilot?

That's how most of my checkrides have gone. A conversation that naturally flowed from one topic to another until we covered all the required topics. It wasn't all question and answer.

It means they put crap on the chart that pilots should have known by default (and had been published in the AIM since the last century).

"You're flying along, in this area, and suddenly you're in IFR. What do you do?"

How do you know you are SAFE to go flying?

You are standing at the south pole with a balloon. You let go of the balloon which way does it go? A. Up B. South C. Don't know D. North

Follow up question. Since you brought up redline what is it and what does it mean to you as a pilot?

That's how most of my checkrides have gone. A conversation that naturally flowed from one topic to another until we covered all the required topics. It wasn't all question and answer.
Well played! ;)

Vne, never exceed speed obviously is the official answer.

it’s largely irrelevant to me, primarily because I’ve got a fair chunk of turbine time and I’m a chicken. I don’t fly faster than the top of the green arc because I can’t guarantee smooth air, and the top of the green arc in a piston is the structural equivalent of Vmo (red line/barber pole) in a turbine airplane. Crawl in a turbine conversion Bonanza or some such, and you’ll see a much lower redline than the same airplane with a piston engine.

You are standing at the south pole with a balloon. You let go of the balloon which way does it go? A. Up B. South C. Don't know D. North
Which way is the wind blowing, and what’s the balloon filled with? ;)

"You're flying along, in this area, and suddenly you're in IFR. What do you do?"
That's an impossible statement You might be suddenly in IMC, but IFR takes a conscience decision.

Balloon is filled with helium. A slight breeze from the south. :)

Balloon is filled with helium. A slight breeze from the south. :)
Ah…a high pressure area, centered on the pole. I guess we’d have to figure out if the high pressure airmass is descending faster than the balloon would rise. I flunked out of engineering, so I’ll have to tap out on that one. :D

There is a prevailing wind at the South Pole, out of "grid northeast", because there is higher-elevation terrain in that direction and the descending cold air flows downhill (katabatic winds). So the the balloon would likely head towards the Pacific Ocean...

There is a prevailing wind at the South Pole, out of "grid northeast", because there is higher-elevation terrain in that direction and the descending cold air flows downhill (katabatic winds). So the the balloon would likely head towards the Pacific Ocean...

This is like the answer to the “Do you have a pencil?” question.

If you release a helium-filled balloon at the South Pole the balloon will go north.

You just spent the night at KFOD because of weather. In the morning, after sunrise, the AWOS is reporting 900 feet overcast. The skies are clear a few miles to the west, which is where you are headed. Your VHF radio is not working. Can you depart? If not, what exactly do you need to wait for and/or do to depart?

You are planning to attend a wedding at Pierre, SD (KPIR). After you arrive, the bride asks you to go pick up some of the famous sausage from Wishek, ND (6L5). In your plane with yourself as the sole occupant, what is the maximum weight of sausage you can bring to the wedding in one trip and how much fuel should you have in the plane when you depart KPIR? (Assume no winds and day VFR flying.)

You are departing Mohall, ND (KHBC), and the winds are reported as 220 at 20G35. Can you legally take off in your plane in those conditions? And why the heck does Mohall, ND, have a three letter airport code?

What is the maximum weight of sausage you can bring to the wedding in one trip...
Can you legally bring more sausage if you also pick up five dozen helium-filled balloons at a big-box party store-- oddly located at MBG (Mobridge SD)?

• Do runways have lines on the side of them? (This one got me on my checkride)
  • Also, what does the "$" on a metar mean?
  • What is the function of the adjustment knob on an airspeed indicator for?

• Do runways have lines on the side of them? (This one got me on my checkride)
  • Also, what does the "$" on a metar mean?
  • What is the function of the adjustment knob on an airspeed indicator for?

No
there is a dollar sign? I'll have to go look at that but I can't help but feel like I'm being trolled
I never knew there was one...I'm assuming to zero it out?

Back